“good honest food”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2014

first visit. amazing choice of carvery, not only do you get a choice of meat and veg, all lovely and fresh, but also a choice of about maybe 10, (i didn't count) other dishes that you can mix and match. meat pie, cobbler, sweet and sour, veggie, turkey in creamy leek sauce, just an example as i believe it varies. my friend had roast beef with sweet and sour with Yorkshires
and stuffing!!!! wonderful

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Not having visited this Pub/restaurant since it had changed owners I was a little wary about booking, but all was not lost what a pleasant surprise the Cod and Chips were lovely , the service all round was very good and some quality beer , the only slight reservation it was very warm in the restaurant area ,

Reviewed April 23, 2014

My partner and I really enjoyed our meal here, not only do you get a great choice of meats to choose from, you can also have different casserole dishes, which were very tasty! I tried the beef in red wine which was lovely, tender and very moreish. My partner tried the sausage casserole and liver and onions which he really enjoyed. We went back for our second visit last week, and will be returning again soon. Yes they do get very busy especially on a Sunday, but mid-week there is no problem. Also its much cheaper to eat there in the week.

1  Thank maggiemay36
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Is it a pub? No definitely not.
Is it a restaurant? Well not if its service is always like that.
Is it a cafe? Might aswell label it that way.

Popped in on a whim one sunday as it seemed quite busy when we drove past. There were no tables available but we opted to wait for an opening as the lady on the door was sure that she would be able to seat us within the hour so we decided to have a drink outside first. Which would of been perfect had we not then been forgotten about. After waiting an hour n half I decided to ask tge lady about a table n she did apologies that she had forgotten about us. We were seated immediately and opted for the carvery, big mistake. Dry meats, soggy vegetables, and good old crusty mash potatoes. Oh and a nice lukewarm instant gravy. After sitting back down with our meals we felt uncomfortable and out of place. It just doesn't feel like a pub or restaurant. It feels empty. Rather like a machine just there to make money. No heart or soul in the place.

We didn't finish our meals, ive always found it rather difficult to eat foods with a similar taste to dishcloths and cardboard unfortunately. We went to tge bar to pay our bill n the chap behind the bar quite possibly provided the worst service ive ever had. Appalled couldn't even come close to how I felt about what happened. He asked us how our meals were and after listing all the issues we had had in our time at the reindeer, he didnt even apologise. Just said oh ok and then told us our bill total.

From star to finish this visit was a disaster. The only good part about it was the ladies toilets were a pleasant experience but a good toilet doesn't make me want to revisit.

3  Thank nicky6450
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

I came here for the first time tonight to celebrate a birthday. Having tried a few carverys in the past I wasn't sure whether to go for it or pick something else from the menu. I went and had a look at what meats and trimmings were on offer abd decided to try it. There was beef, pork and turkey meats to choose from and all the usual Yorkshire puds, veg, roasties, mash, new pots etc. Also they had beef in red wine casserole, sausages and onion casserole, pork and apple casserole and liver and onion casserole. There was also meat abd potato pie, beef cobbler to choose from. All could be topped with either gravy or onion gravy. I had the beef and turkey with all the trimmings and I was not disappointed, the meats were tasty and moist, the veg hot and varied. Following this I tried some casseroles and again found them very nice. There was a great selection of deserts and I had the chocolate fudge cake. The whole meal came in at under a tenner per person for the 2 courses which for what we had eaten was excellent value for money. I would definitely come back again. Nice meal was had by all.