“Excellent food service and staff--awesome!”

Mark Allen's American Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 62 Restaurants in Peru
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Utica, Illinois
“Excellent food service and staff--awesome!”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We used to visit Mark Allen ' s for special occasions and now more and more just because we love it!!Food,atmosphere,and staff is excellent! We crave the cod and dinner bread and head on over to indulge!

Zephyrhills
“Food did not measure up to the atmosphere or service...”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

After reading the reviews, we were very excited to test the food. The staff was accommodating and friendly. The service was terrific. The bread was trishaped and tasted like Biscuik. My husband did not appreciate and I could eat only one. (It was better for my figure that I did appreciate the taste anyway, so NOT a eal breaker!) My husband ordered the buffalo shrimp by accident (wanting, instead the shrimp cocktail)... not their fault, so he ate it without complaint. WOW! Very hot and difficult to choke down. Is buffalo shrimp always this hot? We do not know. Rereading the menu, there was no warning that this was a hot and spicy selection. Perhaps it should come with a warning. My beet salad was beets on top of ONE piece of lettuce and NOT my idea of a "salad". Since we were not that hungry, we shared the salmon (recommended by a patron leaving the restaurant as we entered). Our meal came out on two plates, presumably because they knew we were sharing. Each of received enough fresh green beans for two. They were delicious, crisp and enjoyed. The salmon, however, was tiny, dry, and tasleless. I believe that they took one serving and cooked each separately instead of cutting it after preparing it. Either way, it was terrible. The atmosphere was fun and light. Our server was terrific, but our food experience was not good. We were both disappointed because we both really wanted to enjoy this restaurant, but could not. Was this our fault for not complaining? Maybe, but it was late and we were tired. We just wanted to eat and go back to our hotel. If given the opportunity to eat here again, I think we would choose another place. Maybe that's not fair, but why risk another disappointment?

Oglesby, Illinois
“Great Service and Delicious Food”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We always have great service, and I love the Rewards program! I thoroughly enjoyed the Swordfish with Rice Pilaf, recently. And my partner and I always enjoy the Bruschetta appetizer - delicious! We also enjoy the craft beers available, www.deschutesbrewery.com/brew/black-butte-porter is rich and smooth. We are hoping they will expand their beer options and provide a special menu with a description! :)

Cedar Falls, Iowa
“Not as stellar as mentioned”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

It's a very nice building, cleverly decorated with an outstanding waitstaff. Unfortunately the bread didn't live up to the circus. The Veal Marsala was mediocre, at best, with a sweet Marsala sauce that did nothing for the veal, which was sadly limp. The Barbecue trio, Hoof and Mouth, whatever, was nowhere near what others have raved about. Dry, gnarly ribs, overcooked chicken and shrimp doused in a too-sweet barbecue sauce. None of these meats had seen a grill, probably just broiled. We would have liked to have liked it but, alas, not up to what it could be. Some work in the kitchen is probably in order.

LaSalle, Illinois
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I always find myself ordering the same dish when I come here even though I know there are other good ones. LOVE the Cajun Pasta. It never disappoints me. Ann is always very friendly as well as the bartender.