“Great Christmas Day”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Although the Bear is a regular of mine and my partner, this was the first time I have eaten out on christmas day, and it was a real treat. The food was superb and the staff were as friendly as ever. Strongly recommended!

2  Thank ladySJ2013

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Service was ok Food was not worth the money they served food on plates that were not hot had to wait for cutlery to be changed after food had been served which made the meal only warm.The chips were not good at all in fact i would say they were horrible worst chips i have ever ate.The steak was fine . On the whole it was ok but not worth the money they were asking . Ie over priced for what we paid for, that includes the whole dinning experience.

If i was honest i would not eat there again

3  Thank marksgd
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We dined here on Monday evening we arrived the staff were very pleasant, we were shown to our table. We had a drink & chose our starters one was smoked salmon this was fine a little on the expensive side i think £7.50 it came with salad & toasted bread...The other starter was Prawns in a semi spicy Indian boona ,these were very good I would not have wanted to pay any more for them though!£7.00, & the last starter was a Mushroom Tart with cheese this was nice but also at the top of what you would like to pay for a starter.
Mains were Moroccan Lamb shank .this was ok nothing special not much flavour going on in the dish it was not eaten most of it left, The other mains was Ribeye steak with Onion rings Crispy Fat chips . The steak was served then the waitress said ill get you steak knifes !!! why did they not sort that out when we ordered, by the time she came back my meal was warm NOT HOT, the plates did not come out hot just luke warm then we had to wait for the mustard's.
The steak was cooked fine it tasted good & was not tough or chewy, The Onion rings were nice not swimming in grease, The chips were TERRIBLE tasted overcooked, skins were soft not crispy & one of them was hard (I think they were bought in & microwaved)They were appalling.
The sauce to go with the steak was an extra £2.50 per person so we ordered two sauces. The sauce!!! was watery gravy with a few onions in it they charged £5.00 for that & they served it in one gravy boat when we had paid for two Hows that work.. Anyway the sauce was pathetic if you eat here don't have the Gravy!! the sweets were average .
on the whole the staff were good service was OK the food is priced to high for the quality you get i would not expect to pay £40.00 per head & eat food that is not worth that extra cost.
sorry but i have tried it & i will not be going back...
I Guess its not hard to be ranked two on trip-adviser when there are only five restaurant in that area & one of them is a petrol station!!

2  Thank sam D D
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We went to the Bear and Ragged Staff with friends who were both veggies, there was only one option for us veggies, we felt let down by the food and the bill. The meat eaters were disappointed with their food too! The welcome could not have been better, staff were friendly and helpful.

2  Thank Ingrid B
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I was asked to name a restaurant to meet a business colleague from Birmingham. He's a "foodie". So, I had no hesitation in suggesting The Bear. We both had excellent food and received attentive service. My colleague and I are now planning a fairly big charity event there for the summer.

As a local, I have used The Bear many times over the last 25 years. Lynda and Gary continue to maintain high standards of food and hospitality with this restaurant. Long may it continue.