“Sunday Brunch”

Dining options: Reservations
Peoria, Illinois
“Sunday Brunch”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

First time we've tried their Sunday Brunch. I had the homemade brisket hash with 2 poached eggs. Very tasty and only $6. Also had to try a half order of the homemade B&G. And it really was HOMEMADE! Definitely worth trying. My wife had the Smoked Salmon Benedict, which she enjoyed. Instead of an English Muffin it was on a sweet potato pancake. We'll be back.

Note - Our server (Celina) was outstanding. She was very cheerful, pleasant, and attentive. Great job!

• Visited October 2013

Madison, Wisconsin
“Two Words that Don't Often Go Together: Snooty Pub”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I love trying new restaurants, especially pubs! This one, I would skip. The interior is pretty, I had a well-pulled Guinness, but the food is nothing to write home about. The experience was made worse by snooty staff. When you go to a pub, you expect friendly staff and a relaxed environment. That was not the case. It seemed very stiff, and we were made to feel unwanted. For a cheaper price (for the area, the food is overpriced), better food, better atmosphere, and way better service, go to Kelleher's on Water Street in Peoria.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Meghan K
Peoria, Illinois
“We enjoyed our dining experience.”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Our appetites weren't large so we decided to split a couple items, one from the appetizer menu and one from the sandwich menu. Our choices were the Mac-n-Cheese and tenderloin sandwich, which also included the handcut fries. We thought both selections were tasty, hot, and prepared well. Also loved the classic 60's rock being piped in.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank islandexplorer
Central Illinois
“Nice little place in the Heights”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a new place in town to try, and we decided on The Publik House. We were glad we did -- the food was excellent (I had the El Cubano sandwich and a pint of Guinness, my wife had the salmon), the service was prompt and friendly, and the atmosphere was casual and relaxed as a pub should be. When the late afternoon sun started coming in the window and shining in my wife’s face, the manager noticed right away and took care of adjusting the blinds. We will definitely be back.

Addendum: Visited The Publik House again last weekend, a few weeks after our first visit. The menu had changed a little bit. I had the Cuban sandwich and Guinness again (I tend to stick with things I like), and my wife had the special that day (a deconstructed jambalaya), both of which were very good. Service was again fast and friendly.

• Visited April 2012
3 Thank MrLuckyPants
Peoria
“Bad, overpriced food.”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

If you have zero taste but love spending loads of money, this place is for you.

This place has absolutely TERRIBLE food! The menu is very small, and VERY pricey. We ordered the bacon bleu cheese fries appetizer. They were soggy, nasty, and dark from obviously being cooked in old, dirty cooking oil, and they were topped NOT with bleu cheese as printed on the menu, but feta cheese. I don't know how a chef can confuse feta cheese with bleu cheese!

I ordered The Publik House Salad which promised shredded chicken, tomatoes, and avacado. I got a large bowl of oily, salty, wilted bag-salad greens with ONE cherry tomato, one tablespoon-sized chunk of avacado, and a few pieces of chewy chicken sprinkled on top.

My companion ordered the herb chicken sandwich, which was terribly prepared, offering mouthfuls of pure gristle and fat. His came with a side of the same soggy, rancid fries (just without the bacon and feta cheese)

The interior is nice-looking, resembling a glossed-over imitation of an English-style pub, but it is all image and no substance. The crowd is very young-urban-professional and the place is extremely noisy. We sat in the corner but still had to shout to be heard.

The place does have good beer - I liked the Dead Guy Ale, but it's not worth going again becasue the food is garbage.

• Visited April 2012