“Bad, overpriced food.”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 29, 2012

If you have zero taste but love spending loads of money, this place is for you.

This place has absolutely TERRIBLE food! The menu is very small, and VERY pricey. We ordered the bacon bleu cheese fries appetizer. They were soggy, nasty, and dark from obviously being cooked in old, dirty cooking oil, and they were topped NOT with bleu cheese as printed on the menu, but feta cheese. I don't know how a chef can confuse feta cheese with bleu cheese!

I ordered The Publik House Salad which promised shredded chicken, tomatoes, and avacado. I got a large bowl of oily, salty, wilted bag-salad greens with ONE cherry tomato, one tablespoon-sized chunk of avacado, and a few pieces of chewy chicken sprinkled on top.

My companion ordered the herb chicken sandwich, which was terribly prepared, offering mouthfuls of pure gristle and fat. His came with a side of the same soggy, rancid fries (just without the bacon and feta cheese)

The interior is nice-looking, resembling a glossed-over imitation of an English-style pub, but it is all image and no substance. The crowd is very young-urban-professional and the place is extremely noisy. We sat in the corner but still had to shout to be heard.

The place does have good beer - I liked the Dead Guy Ale, but it's not worth going again becasue the food is garbage.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

Publik House in Peoria Heights is one of my favorite restaurants - not just in the Peoria area, but everywhere. It is an English style pub that serves delicious good. The menu changes with the season so that fresh ingredients can be used. I always love the Black & Blue fries which are hand cut potatoes with blue cheese crumbles and bacon. Honestly, that could be my meal - it is that good. Most recently I had the pork shoulder pot roast with a cheese polenta. It was moist and wonderfuly seasoned. My husband has had the cuban sandwich a number of times which he says is delicious. When Top Chef was on during the 2011/2012 season, every Wednesday the winning dish from the previous week would be prepared. Unfortunately I was not able to make it there to try the creations.
Publik House is very small, and it is best to arrive early. There are maybe six booths and a few tables. The food is served quickly, so the wait for a table shouldn't be too long.

Please take a look at the web site and view the menu.

4  Thank lizzzg
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We had to wait a long time to be seated and there was nowhere to really wait. There were four of us dining and everyone in our group disliked their food. Several meals were misinterpreted and some errors were made on the orders. Two of us had the fish and chips. They were the worst fish and chips we had ever tasted. (being English we have had many). The oil used to cook the fish and chips was really old and consequently the colour of the food was black! It wasn't burned, it was just cooked in very old oil and therefore tasted awful. They had ran out of bread and the English muffins they offered were still frozen in the middle. Overall it was a very disappointing evening. I will not return.

4  Thank Bristolmichele321