“Pricey, pretentious...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Seven On Prospect

Seven On Prospect
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Lincoln, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pricey, pretentious...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

$10 martinis and mashed potatoes in a martini glass? I guess that might be some people's idea of sophistication, I wasn't that impressed. On my last visit I ordered a fish dish that was VERY bland, and quite expensive. The time before that I had a pasta dish that was good but also overpriced. The above-mentinoed mashed potatoes came with a dish a dining partner ordered - had they been on the warm plate with the steak, they'd have stayed warm. In the martini glass, they just got cold quickly. Kind of a counterproductive gimmick if you ask me. And the noisy "crowd" is there more to be seen than to eat. Not for me. I gave it a second chance, but I'm done.

1 Thank Angela B

Peoria, Illinois
“Another excellent meal here.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

We dined alone in a far corner for my wife's birthday. We could see and be sen by only 2 couples. This and the Monday night made for a quieter than usual dinner at Seven. Service was excellent - fast and attentive.

We split a great appetizer of rolled smoked salmon around caviar, capers and other goodies. My wife's main was perfectly cooked and sauced giant scallops with rice. I had chicken breast stuffed with a goat cheese mixture including artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes with not quite enough savory tomato sauce. It was ever so slightly over cooked, but short of dry. My rice side was different with almonds and several spices.

The beer list is better than the wine list in that all were well known great beers from here and a few from overseas. Wines were mostly US and unknown to me but with a few big names with their ridiculous prices.

Food was the best feature on this visit. Atmosphere better than usual. Everything similar to many visits.

Desserts looked good, but we went home for a bottle of Schramsberg 1998 J Schram. That was the top of the evening on our deck.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank JOM922
Chicago, Illinois
“Great food, nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

The menu brings a number of very good alternatives. The dishes are all very tasty. The service is quite good and the bar offers all the alternatives you may desire.
Good option.

• Visited April 2012
Purduewriter91
“Great Choice in the Heights”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

My husband and I ate here for date night on a recent Saturday. We had reservations at 6:00 and were seated promptly. Nice wine selection. We had a bottle of Rodney Strong Cabernet for $31. Our server was attentive, but not intrusive. The bread (nice round loaf) was amazing! My husband got a dinner salad (a la carte) and the steak three ways. It's a fillet minion served with three sauces, asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes (to die for) that are served in a martini glass. Fun! My husband declared his steak "cooked perfectly." I ordered the grilled salmon. It was wonderful; had a teriyaki glaze and toasted sesame seeds. Served with Asian vegetable stir fry (awesome) and mashed potatoes. More food than I could eat. Presentation was great. A wonderful meal!! It's a bit pricey, but you'd expect that. Only negatives I can think of: the music was a bit loud for our taste, and the booths are not very comfortable--the backs are straight up at a 90 degree angle--worse than church pews. But all in all a very good experience!! We'll be back.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Purduewriter91
Peoria, Illinois
“Consistently good food - Friendly atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

We had diner with another couple prior to a Concert two weeks ago.
Once again we were treated as family and experienced excellent service and good food.

On multiple occasions we order 2 - 4 of the appetizers and make a meal of it.
Never have been disappointed.
If you enjoy a good Cosmo, Joe (owner) and the male bartender make an excellent one.

Enjoy!