“Not a bad place”

Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Not a bad place”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed at this location on business and enjoyed the place. It was clean, the hotel staff was great and the room itself was the usual Residence Inn quality.
The workout facility was great. The pool was really small, but I didn't choose this place to swim.
The location is not the easiest to get to, but it's a great location - next to the Mall and minutes away from a large amount of restaurants and other shopping.

The one downside to the place and there's really no way for management to do anything about it save a huge, huge remodel: There is virtually zero sound insulation in the ceilings. So, I heard EVERYTHING the person above me was doing, even the nasty details of when they used the bathroom. I mentioned something about this in passing when I checked out, but it really didn't seem to register with the attendant. Oh well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Khasimir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Naperville
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Clean, comfortable and good free food! My wife was staying in Peoria and had chose a bad hotel. She had checked in at 11 pm so ended up just staying there while calling me first thing in the morning to try a new location. She had asked about this Residence Inn and I made the reservation. I shopped the different rooms and chose a one bedroom suite. I found out they were pet friendly and for a small fee found out we could take our dog. I went done and at check in they gave me a free upgrade for a 2 bedroom suite. I do not know why I was offered the upgrade since they had done nothing wrong. I think they just had the extra room. The room was impressive. We had an upright fridge, stoce They gave me dog food dishes and even a couple of dog treats. I had never taken my dog with for a hotel before but it worked out great. The pool and hot tub were great for me and my kids, although I thought the hot tub was much warmer than normal but I never mentioned that to the staff. We had a very good breakfast with plenty of options and if you are like me you will like to know they had real meat (sausage) as part of it.

I talked to the staff and they were friendly and helpful.

The only draw back is finding it. Look at the map online since map quest and two gps devices could not find it. I had found it by having looked at the map online and noticing other reviewers could not find it. When you go around the mall there is a small road partially gravel leading back to this and two other hotels. The sign by this gravel road is small.

Room Tip: I highly recommend the two bedroom suite. Nicely decorated and very comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 1DutchmanNaperville
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 1, 2013

This location is a good representative of the chain. The room was clean and roomy enough, and having the suite is convenient for a longer stay. Because it's right next door to Northwoods Mall and across the street from more shops and restaurants, it's a great location even without having a full restaurant/bistro inside. The staff are attentive, polite, and respectful.

One complaint was that my room was not made up on the first day I was there. On the other hand, I didn't arrive until 2:30am, so maybe that accounted for it. I'm willing to overlook that because overall the stay was pleasant and comfortable.

One other complaint is that my window looked out on an illuminated area of the roof. That meant that there was light coming in the window all night. I don't like that. Fortunately, the window is in the sitting area, not right over the bed, so it wasn't too bothersome.

I'd certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an external view, and without external lights pouring in.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Doc L
Swansea, Illinois
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed in 2 bedroom-2 bathroom suite. Fire place was definitely a + and we were surprised it was not gas or electric! Nice kitchen and appliances. We were very surprised to find that bathroom was handicapped accessible since my 84 year old mother was travelling with us. I mentioned it later to the guy at the desk and he said he changed our room from the 3rd floor to accessible after seeing my mother use a walker. The staff was extremely friendly, hotel was spotless, and assistant manager was on duty when we checked in and out. I will stay here again when in Peoria and tell friends to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank seesil
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Don't stay here if you are a women travelling alone.
The night clerk tried to gain access into my room at 12:30 AM saying he was looking for a blanket. He also said I was not in the system. Sounds like a criminal mind to me. How did I get a key to the room and get a receipt if I wasn't in the system. Creep. Lies When he found out someone was in the room he was still trying to get me to open the door. Creepometer went off. He lied to me 5 times about the incident. I left immediately fearing for my safety. I would only stay at Marriott's Not anymore. The night clerk should be fired and investigated for previous criminal actions. It was so scary. I contacted Marriott about this, we shall see what they do. STAY AWAY

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank ruthy522
RIManagerPeoria, Manager at Residence Inn Peoria, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
After a detailed investigation, it was found that our night audit associate did in fact make a mistake when reading the dirty rooms report. If was verified with on duty management, several guests, and documentation that our associate was looking for blankets that had been requested by another guest room. After exhausting the supply of blankets we had located in the laundry room our desk associate ran what he thought was a vacant dirty report and attempted to get blankets for the nearest room on that list. After reviewing the tapes and statements our associate did knock and announce his presence at the door and did not enter the room once it came to his attention that the room was occupied. Although the associate did apologize, we do understand that being disturbed at that hour would be quite unexpected and alarming. We do try our best to provide a safe and secure hotel for all of our guests and our employees. We can assure you that the appropriate actions have been taken to ensure that this issue does not happen again at our hotel. Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention and allowing me to investigate and address this matter.
Hospitably,
Jessica Wilson
Kennett Square PA
Reviewed December 7, 2012

The most confusing thing about this Residence Inn was its location. You have to go through a mall parking lot to get to a tiny road, and our GPS was no help. We arrived after dark and the sign to the three motels located in a cluster was not lit up, making it even harder to find. Fortunately other travellers had warned us of this on Tripadvisor, so we were prepared and found the hotel.

The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. Breakfast bar was fine. I inadvertently left a piece of clothing behind and when I called about it later, they had it, in a bag with my name, room number and date. We stopped on our return trip to pick it up. That was excellent service.

Room Tip: We faced the highway on the top level (third) but this was no problem, and the room was quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Travelom
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The Residence Inn Peoria is a fantastic property that offers very comfortable and restful beds. The two bedroom suite is a large space and offers all of the comforts of home with a fully equipped kitchen, two full bathrooms and a very cozy living room.
In front of the lobby is a large gathering area where breakfast is served every morning and during the weekdays a snack in the evening is provided. The food selection was extremely large in comparison to other hotels in the Peoria area that serve continental breakfast. There was a typical waffle bar, ham, scrambled eggs, and sausage egg and cheese biscuits available as hot items. There was milk, juices, coffee, a cereal bar and an assortment of pastries available for guest not interested in meaty items. I was pleasantly surprised that they offered a hot breakfast item for vegetarians as well. It was an Indian dish that smelled delicious. It was a terrific option for those who are vegetarians and are tired of eating hot oatmeal for breakfast when they want a hot meal in a hotel. The Indian dish was definitely a pleasant surprise!
My complaints for this location are that it is tucked behind the Northwoods Mall on Teamster Drive. Most GPS units will not be able to find this location. Also if you are unlucky you will placed on the southwest side of the building that faces the I-74 off ramp which is extremely close to the building. Road noise is not an issue but it does leave the room in perpetual shade.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family