“Worn but fair price”

Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
Peoria, Illinois
“Worn but fair price”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This was a major chain hotel at least twice around and updates are needed. This place has potential because of the layout of the motel and the location. However with the economy and competition in the area it has its struggles.

I found the staff friendly and accommodating when I asked for a quiet and clean room. We were in room 300 the highest and quietest part of the building. I would ask for the South 'Tower' as it seemed quieter and cleaner for us at this time. The third floor smelled the freshest and Had a nice quiet little alcove nearby our room.

Our room was a king room that even had a fridge and Micro in it and was clean.The room reminded my wife and I of a time capsule, for room decor, of the mid nineties. Our bed was very comfortable and the bathroom clean and a decent size for a motel. Towels were thick and big and the shower was wonderful.

Breakfast was on par with motel foods that always seem to institutional for me. But there was a full hot breakfast with the usual cereal and fruit and breads. Much more then I expected and the atrium like area it is served in made it feel larger and brighter.

We paid less then $50 through Hotwire and I would say our room seemed more like a $80 room. We had a very quiet area overlooking the Atrium and away from the traffic. I would recommend staying here if you can choose a room. Some areas I believe are much more worn and a little to dirty for me. I have one big complaint and its not the hotels fault. PLEASE, GUESTS, COME TO THE BREAKFAST AREA NEAT AND DRESSED FOR THE DAY!!! It is so disrespectful and trashy to come in pajamas and hair uncombed. Think of others! Be kind! I really wish hotels would post signs and enforce a basic rule on this.

Room Tip: There are inner and outer rooms in two different 'towers'. I would stay in an inner room in...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank darrylwk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Somonauk
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband has stayed here many times while in town for work, we went down as a family to go to the Alwen and Sons meat market to stock up our freezer. The hotel is older so if you want new carpet and such look elce where, but we got a king room and a double room connected for a very low price so I wasn't complaining in the lest. We wanted to take our girls swimming and did but there was a very large kids party going on so it was really loud and you could here everyone from our rooms as we had pool side rooms. The beds were ok and the rooms were clean the bathrooms were also BUT there was a few blood splatters on the tissue holder part of the counter that I don't see how they could have been missed if the bathroom was cleaned before our check in. Over all for the price we paid We were happy.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Madison
Reviewed February 25, 2012

This is an abandon Holiday Inn from a few years ago. There was a reason Holiday Inn left to start a new building. The carpets are old, mattresses are old, this hasn't seen any recent renovations for years. This is a two star hotel at best.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Peoria hotels

Muncie, Indiana
Reviewed February 18, 2012

This is our second stay here. Very affordable stay for what is offered. If you want the newest and best go ahead and pay more and goe elsewhere, but for my family and group that i was with. Rooms were clean, nice pool, great open patio with extremely large sitting area. Could easily sit 30+. My room had a microwave, fridge, hairdryer with an average size bathroom. It didn't matter to me, but my wife loved that there were 2 mirrors in bathroom for the perfect hair style. I wish the free breakfast could have included some fruit.Good average place nuff said.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Basic problems we hit:
* Website claims there is a hot tub. There is not. It has clearly been down for a long while. This was a prime reason we selected this hotel.
* Hot breakfast has horrible. Only hot thing was biscuits and gravy. Biscuits were rock solid on the outside (ok on the inside). Cereal and the like was okay.
* Beds are old. Really really old. I'd have to guess the box springs and mattresses were more than 20 years old (classic black-and-white striped old things with lots of stains and some with writing) We found them quite uncomfortable.
* Minor things: Elevator is in horrible repair (massive scratches/torn parts), sauna has a fair bit of graffiti, Pool is in horrible need of a paint job.

Good things:
* While pool needed paint, it was still big, nice and quite warm.
* Atrium is cool.
* Saunas are uncommon in hotels of this price. It was nice to have it!
* WiFi was fine.

* Pool was very nice

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Indiana
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Yes, this is an older hotel. But my stay was fine. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My room was clean, and contained a refrigerator, microwave, iron & board, and coffee maker (don't remember if there was a hair dryer). The beds were about at the end of their useful life - that said, I was not uncomforable sleeping. I think that in ancient times guests smoked in this room and I could smell that a bit when I first came in. But, even though I am sensitive to that, it didn't end up bothering me. Breakfast was decent with cold cereal, sundry muffins, english muffins, bagels, fresh fruit, juices, and 4 hot items - scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, and gravy for biscuits.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
GM61614, General Manager at Travelodge Peoria Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Thank you for choosing The Grand Hotel, Peoria while visiting the Peoria area.
We value your opinion and will share with our staff and has been forwarded to my corporate office which will help me even more to improve.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Our goal is not just to meet but exceed the expecatations and comments like yours help us achieve that.
Looking forward to serving you in the future.
Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Nothing fancy here or any need to write home about this hotel. Old, tired and a bit run down. The elevator and other areas were really showing a lot of age and wear. My bed was clean. I noticed some debris on the floor that housekeeping didn;t get swept up. Shower was dated.

Overall, I have been in worse hotels. Front desk was decent. Pool area looked OK with a good size pool. They had a bar.

For $65.00 to $70.00 I would say this hotel is an decent purchase. Small breakfast offered in the morning. Shopping Mall across a busy street. Interstate 74 is 3 or 4 blocks away.

I didn't really hear any noise, but I don't think there were too many people on the 3rd floor either. I am not sure.....but this hotel might also be an extended stay hotel too.

It wasn't worth the effort to take a picture of this super basic hotel. You get the idea.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
GM61614, General Manager at Travelodge Peoria Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Thank you for choosing The Grand Hotel, Peoria while visiting the Peoria area.
Looking forward to serving you in the future.