“Unfriendly Staff”

Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
Chicago, IL
“Unfriendly Staff”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because we were here on business. It was so highly rated by Tripadvisor, how could we go wrong?

The front desk staff (especially Matt) were extremely unfriendly!!! The room was not very clean either. The beds were hard as rocks. I wouldn't return based on the attitude of these people.

The only really nice part of our visit was the shuttle service and our driver, Alex. He drove us to our restaurant and picked us up. That was great! We didn't have to worry about going into a bad part of town and getting lost! Location was good too, close to the river.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Sheila R
Naomi S, General Manager at Mark Twain Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Hello Sheila,

I first want to thank you for posting your comments regarding your stay. Most guests would not take the time to post a review, positive or negative.

The review that you posted is shocking to me because it's atypical. We aim to hire friendly faces and this is one of the things we receive positive comments about again and again. I'm going to share this review with our staff so we can determine what may have gone wrong. If you can contact me further, I would really like to get some more details on what caused you to find our staff members rude. I'd welcome any further comments, and in the meantime, I'll do some internal investigation.

Thank you again for posting your comments.

nshea at marktwainhotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My female friend and I stayed in this hotel one night. Our stay was pleasureful and a great value. Pleasant staff. Very nice looking hotel - contemporary and unique. Make your trip something special by staying here, as opposed to other cookie-cutter chain hotels. Complementary parking and breakfast buffet, plus drink tickets for their bar for each guest. The bar had a nice ambiance and was good for people watching. Appetizers and martinis were delicious. Close to riverfront shops and restaurants in downtown Peoria. I would definitely stay here again. Kinda glad the Pere Marquette Hotel was closed for renovation, encouraging us to try this hotel instead.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hi there,

Hope you're well. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review here, as it helps other travelers make their decisions about where to stay.

I'm glad that you found the stay pleasant, this is our goal. We are a smaller property downtown and do our best to provide a unique stay with a warm feel. I'm glad you checked out the restaurant, Two25. They have fantastic food and signature martinis and a nice atmosphere.

Please consider staying with us again when you are back in town, we'd be happy to have you.

Princeton, Illinois
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Our family of 4 stayed at the Mark Twain during the Irish Fest weekend at the end of August. This was our 4th visit. The place is amazing. While the outside may not delight (60's style block hotel) the remodel is charming. The deluxe rooms are large and up to date. (Love the mounted flat screen tvs) There is free wi-fi through out. The bathrooms are big enough but only feature showers with great rain shower heads- no tub. Free drink tickets for use at the bar are included. There is microwave popcorn and free apples at the desk. (My girls probably took 6, and every time the lady at the desk smiled and complimented them on being good fruit eaters.) Rooms have a fridge, microwave and coffeemaker. Breakfast in the morning is a dream. Made-to-order omelets and waffles, and a full hot buffet are part of the deal. At IHOP, this would have been a $40 meal.

The on-site restaurant is classy and has some nicer meals on the menu. We enjoyed it, and WILL be back for more pampering at the Mark Twain.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river. Very pretty at night!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hi Tracy,

Thank you for taking a moment to post a review regarding your stay. The Erin Feis Irish Fest weekend was a busy one for us and we appreciate that you helped us make it successful.

We have a great location for the Riverfront events, as we are 2 blocks away. I'm happy to hear that your family enjoyed the apples and popcorn, and I hope your girls were able to borrow a DVD from our library, although it sounds like perhaps you had a busy weekend and no time for movies. I also wanted to point out the value you felt you received at breakfast. It is a great deal, especially when feeding a family, and you can enjoy as much as you want, included in the price of yoru room.

The Riverfront Museum is set to open next month and we are putting together a package for this. Come back and see us and take your family to the museum!

Note: if you'd like a tub next time, let us know when you make your reservation and we can give you your options. Some room types do have tubs if that is what you'd prefer!

Happy Travels,

309-636-6170
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The onsite restaurant has an amazing stroganoff I would stay at the hotel just to be able to order it more often! The breakfast is an amazing array of full on delights! Pne of the better breakfast buffets that is included in the price of a hotel. The rooms are nice but try and make sure you stay in a renovated one as they are clearly nicer. The lobby is a nice little library and has some great seating and chatting spots. The workout space is small but all I needed to get my workout in. It is across the street from Cat HQ so you can't beat the location. The staff and especially the shuttle driver really have made my stay including working with me to prank my boss! Great hotel. Great value. Lots of fun!

• Stayed September 2011
Hello,

Thank you for posting a review here. I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and it sounds like you enjoyed the food you had as well. In the case that you decide to visit us again, if you like a larger workout space, we'll give you a complimentary pass to the Riverplex, a super-duper workout facility located a couple of streets down from the hotel on the Riverfront area. You can swim, use the cardio room, take classes, run on the indoor track, etc. We'll even give you a bottle of water and a ride there if you'd like.

Come see us again. :)

309-636-6170
Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed August 23, 2012

On their pen it says something about being Peoria's boutique hotel. Not quite but it is a nice clean hotel with charm. I stayed here on Sunday night and it was pretty quiet. Staff was friendly and the room was clean and comfortable. From this hotel, it was a couple minute walk to the riverfront and of course easy access to everything downtown (Cat is just across the street). I had a rental car and it was easy and free to park behind the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side will have a river view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Central Illinois
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We called to make our reservation and she knocked $10 off the rate I had found on line! The rate included 2 complimentary drinks at the adjoining Two25. Access to I-74 is very easy. Our king room was modern and clean. It is easy to leave the car in the lot and walk to the Riverfront.

Room Tip: Remember to ask when making your reservation if you can have a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is good, but the bar closes too early. This is an issue when there is no others bars in the area, and for one that is here for the very first time, that's not comfortable. The food in the restaurant is good. It could be better though. Don't know why there is no Chilean wines in the wine list.

• Stayed August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peoria
Peoria Marriott Pere Marquette
Staybridge Suites Peoria Downtown
Courtyard Peoria Downtown
Embassy Suites by Hilton East Peoria - Hotel & RiverFront Conf Center
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Peoria
Wingate by Wyndham Peoria

Been to Mark Twain Hotel? Share your experiences!