“Excellent food, atmosphere and service”
Review of Hofbrau

Hofbrau
Ranked #9 of 413 Restaurants in Peoria
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Food: many German dishes on the menu (and some non-German). I had the jaeger schnitzel and it was spot on compared to the many times I’ve enjoyed it in Bavaria. I would love to work my way through this menu, item by item. And beers – great German beers on tap and bottles.
Atmosphere: the dining and bar area are narrow and deep and pretty crowded. Lots of cool memorabilia on the walls. Had the superb feeling of a neighborhood hang-out.
Service: I ate at the bar, and the bartender was attentive and very friendly. He paused to talk about his time in Germany and asked me about my travels.
My only minor complaint is my jaeger schnitzel seemed a little pricey. Not complaining about portion size, but just felt a few dollars over what it ought to be. But I will pay the price for such a great and authentic experience.
Definitely a great road food find and will return every time I travel to Peoria.

2  Thank ed-dest

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Had lunch here with my wife and son. Great beer selection complemented by a variety of soups and sandwiches and German specialties. The service was friendly, and the food was all very good. We liked the warm interior on a cool fall day.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We are from out of town and were not aware that they "required" reservations. We arrived at 5:20 and were told that we would be "put on the list." I counted 6 empty tables when we arrived. The person I was with asked how long it would be and the hostess, who I assume was the owner, stated that she did not know. She gestured toward a table and stated that she was waiting for those currently seated to leave.

We had to stand at the end of the bar because all seats at the bar were taken and there was not enough room to stand anywhere else. We were thus were in the way of the servers and as a result, every time they came by we had to shuffle out of the way.

While we were waiting, a group of 4 walked in and experienced the same problem as us. During our waiting, the table the "owner" referred to got up. The "owner" then proceeded to set the table for reservations. By this time it was 5:40 and we had been standing there for 20 minutes. The group of four walked out the door.

The "owner' then came to the end of the bar and I asked her when she thought we might be seated. She again stated she didn't know. I asked about the table that just left because she implied that we would be seated there when we arrived. She stated that the table was reserved for 6:00 pm along with the other 6 empty tables that had been sitting empty for 20 mintues already and were still sitting empty.

I mentioned to her that we had arrived at 5:20 and if she would have seated us right away we would have had our food and been out the door at or close to 6:00. She stated, in a very unfriendly tone, that she didn't think that was possible and that it would take away from the "atmosphere." The cooks in the kitchen were in full view and were standing around. I think they could have booked our food in 10 to 15 minutes and we certainly could have eaten it in 15 minutes!

After that we left. That was a total of 6 people who left in the span of a half an hour. That would be the equivalent of at least over $100 in business that she let walk out the door while she had 6 empty tables reserved for people who wouldn't be there for 40 more minutes. The behavior that was displayed to us was terrible. The ability of the hosting staff was severely lacking and if that woman was really the owner, shame on her. What a horrible way to run a business and disgusting customer service.

3  Thank Mel C
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Having traveled Germany for two weeks I'm spoiled with authentic German food. This was as close in menu and flavor as I've had. I've eaten in several states including the 100 year old restaurant on Chicago and would say this had the most authentiic menu and taste. Service was excellent and priciing was in line with the the others.
I had the ham shank with mashed potatoes and kraut. The hock was excellent, mashed were good but the cabbage was only fair. Atmosphere was excellent. If you like German food this is a must stop!

2  Thank Stuart F
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I love this place! They serve great German food in a little neighborhood restaurant. Soup has free refills and is a great value. My favorite is the hot ham and cheese sandwich. Love love the German potato salad. Highly recommend!

Been to Hofbrau? Share your experiences!