“Simply Awesome”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The dining area, Habachi Chefs, food, and servers were all great. the food is to die for. If you get a chance stop in and give it a try. If you want to sit around the Habachi grill the bigger the group the better and more entertaining. We eat there regularly.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

The building has had many, many restaurant names! For my birthday, my family decided to take me to the newest occupant's establishment, "Hokkaido". What a delightful transformation of the building. I liked how the different style dining areas made sense. The fish swimming in the floor is just fun. Yet, the beautiful wood carvings from a previous occupant were saved and highlighted.

The lady that greeted us was a bit snippy, but our server was genuinely nice. He greeted us and put our sushi orders in right away. He was attentive with the drinks and water refills while we waited. The "All You Can Eat Sushi" is a cool way to try the many styles. We shared our different selections and came up with favorites. To my surprise, my favorite was the "Sunset" with its crunch and spice. How can you not like the tempura varieties. The "Philadelphia" & "California" have always been a classic favorite and they were done well. I was not brave enough to try the eel!

Here is the big kicker, this was an EXPENSIVE night. When the bill came, I felt sorry for my two college-aged kids. They had worked hard & saved to be able to bring me here with this experience. After seeing the bill, I let them pay for the food, but I insisted I cover the bar tab & dinner tip. The bill was well over a 100 dollar plus evening for just 3 people. Because of the cost, I am afraid we will probably not be back until a very special event or after college graduation.

I fear this restaurant will join it's predecessor and not be able to survive. Most likely, Hokkaido will be added to the long list of restaurant failures. Being close to Bradley College is not going help. Most college students just do not have this kind of disposable income. Plus this restaurant is next door to a "Steak n Shake", which is more in line with the kids and local residents.

Finally, I did have a lovely time at dinner time on a Thursday evening. And, kudos to the sweet young man who took great care of us last night, he deserved the sizable tip.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

I go to Hokkaido as much as possible for lunch for endless sushi with my coworkers. The sushi is always fresh, delicious and presented beautifully. My only wish is that I could go more often....!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

WOW, we're so lucky to have this Asian restaurant in Peoria. I'm originally from Tokyo and they have the best Japanese food besides delicious Chinese food. Other restaurants may have decent Sushi but I was so disappointed with other so called "Japanese" meals many times, I will never go anywhere else but "Hokkaido". Thank you, Raymond/Tiffany. You make me a happy customer all the time !!!!! My advice to unhappy customers...."Read the menu FIRST for endless Sushi meal & DON'T order any more than what you can eat !".

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Went to Hokkaido for the Hibachi grill with another adult and two teenagers. We had a great experience. There are a few other Hibachi and sushi spots in town, but this one is definitely the best and has the best food. The atmosphere is beautiful. We really enjoyed the food and entertainment. The kids loved it as well. Thanks!