“Great BBQ !” 4 of 5 bubbles

Smo-King Pit
Ranked #32 of 389 Restaurants in Peoria
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Peoria, IL
“Great BBQ !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

One of my favorite beef briskets!!! Like their fries too (what they used to be before they all became "crispy coated"). Consistently good food.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best ribs and pulled pork I've had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

I stopped in there for the first time after reading some good reviews and it was worth it. All of the food was excellent, I had the pulled pork and ribs. The meat was cooked to perfection and the sauce was great. If you like barbecue then you need to stop in here and eat or get it to go.

1 Thank Bzinke3
Peoria, IL
“Best Rib Tips!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

I've been going to Smo-King for YEARS and they have never disappointed. I have tried ribs/ribtips from other places, and I ALWAYS go back to Smo-King!! If you want mouth-watering, fall off the bone, home cooked ribs...then this is the place to go!! The prices are reasonable, the quantity & quality is wonderful, and you'll be GREATLY satisfied!!!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Sherita927
Herndon, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Ribs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

We found this place by accident on our most recent trip to Peoria. The barbecued ribs were some of the best we've ever eaten. The meat was fall-off-the-bone tender with a strong smokey taste. The sauce was vinegar-based with a hint of sweetness and thin enough so that it did not overwhelm the meat. The portions were generous; my wife and I could not finish the twelve-rib order that we split. We did, however, make room for piece of delicious strawberry cheese cake that was light and creamy, with a very tender crust. The restaurant, located in a shopping mall, is constructed and decorated to look like a small-town roadside shack of an earlier era. There were no customers sitting at the formica topped tables while I was there, but in the five minutes that I waited for our take-out order, at least four other customers picked up orders to go, so I guess that others find the food as tasty and satisfying as my wife and I did.

Visited April 2012
St. Louis, MO
“Great BBQ in a Mall? You bet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect. Having been to over 200 BBQ joints in my time, I'd never been to one in a mall. While in Peoria on business today, I decided to check this place out.

This family run restaurant is located in the Northwoods Mall on the upper level next to Sears. I'd read some excellent reviews and was very pleasantly surprised to discover that this place does indeed deliver.

I sampled 4 ribs and some pulled pork, brisket and turkey. The ribs were excellent. Great flavor, meaty and very tender. The pulled pork was lean with a mild smokey flavor (hickory). Very good. The brisket was tender but a tad dry which is the norm outside of Texas. The turkey, smoked over apple and cherry wood, was outstanding.

They provide 2 original sauces and both were superb; couldn't decide which I liked better.

As is my custom, I didn't order any sides, choosing to focus on the meats.

Mike, the owner and pitmaster, was on hand and very friendly. He's a people person who loves his work. And that is reflected in the high quality of his Q. Next time I'm in town, I'll be back.

• Visited March 2012