“Best Rib Tips!!!”

Smo-King Pit
Ranked #30 of 408 Restaurants in Peoria
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I've been going to Smo-King for YEARS and they have never disappointed. I have tried ribs/ribtips from other places, and I ALWAYS go back to Smo-King!! If you want mouth-watering, fall off the bone, home cooked ribs...then this is the place to go!! The prices are reasonable, the quantity & quality is wonderful, and you'll be GREATLY satisfied!!!

1  Thank Sherita927

Reviewed April 5, 2012

We found this place by accident on our most recent trip to Peoria. The barbecued ribs were some of the best we've ever eaten. The meat was fall-off-the-bone tender with a strong smokey taste. The sauce was vinegar-based with a hint of sweetness and thin enough so that it did not overwhelm the meat. The portions were generous; my wife and I could not finish the twelve-rib order that we split. We did, however, make room for piece of delicious strawberry cheese cake that was light and creamy, with a very tender crust. The restaurant, located in a shopping mall, is constructed and decorated to look like a small-town roadside shack of an earlier era. There were no customers sitting at the formica topped tables while I was there, but in the five minutes that I waited for our take-out order, at least four other customers picked up orders to go, so I guess that others find the food as tasty and satisfying as my wife and I did.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect. Having been to over 200 BBQ joints in my time, I'd never been to one in a mall. While in Peoria on business today, I decided to check this place out.

This family run restaurant is located in the Northwoods Mall on the upper level next to Sears. I'd read some excellent reviews and was very pleasantly surprised to discover that this place does indeed deliver.

I sampled 4 ribs and some pulled pork, brisket and turkey. The ribs were excellent. Great flavor, meaty and very tender. The pulled pork was lean with a mild smokey flavor (hickory). Very good. The brisket was tender but a tad dry which is the norm outside of Texas. The turkey, smoked over apple and cherry wood, was outstanding.

They provide 2 original sauces and both were superb; couldn't decide which I liked better.

As is my custom, I didn't order any sides, choosing to focus on the meats.

Mike, the owner and pitmaster, was on hand and very friendly. He's a people person who loves his work. And that is reflected in the high quality of his Q. Next time I'm in town, I'll be back.

1  Thank Planestrainsnautos
Reviewed October 28, 2011

This place has the best ribs in Peoria. Their sauce is great and the meat falls right off the bone. Also their side dishes are all good. This place is very casual and located in the Northwoods mall. The prices are reasonable. And I've always had good service at this place. Overall, I would recommend this place for anyone looking for some great BBQ in Peoria.

Been to Smo-King Pit? Share your experiences!