“A staple in most hotels but this place has no ice”

Staybridge Suites Peoria Downtown
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
Reviewed January 15, 2010

Ok I have had friends stay at this hotel chain and they loved it. Rooms are nice and affordable. But give me a break put one ice machine in the hotel not the automatic ones in the small fridges in the room. I have been here 2 hours and nothing. I showed up late so I dont really want to go back out and get ice. Sure would be nice to have one cold drink! This place is not for me. Also there is limited parking, people are parking in the street. How nice............

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed January 13, 2010

We are relocating to Peoria. We checked into the Staybridge downtown Peoria to begin our housing search. Who would have thought that in such a small Midwestern town that there would be gangs wandering the streets looking for trouble! (See the Peoria Star newspaper website) We checked out after a two nights and moved to a safer area, by NorthWoods Mall. The accommodations were nice at the Staybridge, but it’s not safe and secure. I wish we would have asked the locals before we booked our stay! Apparently there are good and bad pockets of the little city just like in the bigger ones!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank flyman244
Reviewed December 3, 2009

I booked a 5 night reservation at this hotel and clicked on the ‘advance purchase’ rate which was a $10.00 per night savings from the ‘suite rate’. The hotel advertised a ‘full kitchen’ which to me meant an oven? I called the hotel prior to making the reservation on line and was assured the suite had a ‘full kitchen‘.
“DESCRIPTION:
Book in advance and save! As always, you’ll enjoy all the comforts and warmth of home during your stay. Feel at home in your suite with a spacious living and work area, full kitchen, and an array of complimentary amenities.”
Much to my surprise, no oven. We cancelled the reservation for $1,000.00 which was already charged to my credit card. We were told no refund, sorry, even though the room didn‘t have what was advertised. So for a savings of $50.00 on the room rate, it was going to cost me $1,000.00! After asking the manager, we were refunded 80% of our charge. So now it costs me $200.00 to save $50.00 on the room rate. Talk about a scam. This hotel is an expert at it.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank balekstevejudy
Reviewed December 1, 2009

In contrast to the reviewer below, we had a very nice stay at the Staybridge. We arrived on a Friday afternoon for a concert at the Peoria Civic Center, which is right across the street. Our room was on the ground floor, and it was very nice and clean. After dinner on the waterfront, we walked from the hotel to the concert, and walked back afterwords. No gunfire and no shady characters bothered us. There was complimentary breakfast the next morning. I have to stay our brief stay was quite enjoyable, and we will return.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2009

We stayed at this hotel over the weekend at the recommendation of friends who live locally (as do we). We took the kids for a local get away and we were very excited when we pulled up. The building from the outside looks great, and they have an indoor pool. We went for dinner over in East Peoria at TGI Friday's. We came back around 9:00 pm, and when we got out of the car we heard gun fire. I quickly got my family inside and up to our room. I was so paranoid for hearing gun fire, that I kept looking out the window. There were so many shady characters walking by through out the night (I couldn't sleep). We called the police, but we did not hear anything. We were talking with a housekeeper in the morning, and she informed us that the hotel is on the bad edge of town. We did not feel safe. We went the next night to Candlewood. The rooms are smaller, but felt very safe. (FYI, my wife pushed me to leave feedback as she said others should know)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank travelertom1974
Reviewed September 30, 2009

My friends and I stayed at this hotel for our National Roller Skating competion held across the street at the convention center so the location was perfect. The staff was extremely accommodating in many ways. Each morning for a week, we were in the lobby at 4:00 a.m. to go to early practice and the kitchen staff had fresh coffee ready for us to take plus fruit, granola bars, yogurt or anything else we could easily carry. That's just one of many examples of their helpfulness. When we came back from practice at 6:00 a.m., they breakfast was really great with loads of variety. The rooms were very comfortable and roomy at a very reasonble rate. Many of our friends moved from their hotels to ours when they saw how nice our accommodations were. There is free shuttle service to and from the airport, but be forewarned that it does not run on the weekends. I will definitely stay here again the next time we are in town.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 8, 2009

My husband and I were in Peoria at the Civic Center for a conventiion and Staybridge is right across the street so he could walk everyday and not worry about parking. That is why I booked this hotel. But I was pleasantly suprprised when I arrrived. Check in was very quick and friendly and we were each given a bottle of water and full-size Hershey bar wrapped in cello with a ribbon. Sure beats those little mints on the bed. About 20 minutes after we were in our room we got a call from the front desk asking if the suite was okay and if we were getting settled in and then this person gave us her name and said she'd be on duty until 11 pm if we needed anything. Wow, a place that really cares about how I like their accomadations. The suite was a one bedroom so we had a room with a living area, desk & chair and a kitchen, everything but an oven and supplied with coffee, tea, sugar, salt & pepper as well as dish soap and paper towels. The bedroom was a seperate room with bath attached. Airconditioning was central with a thermostat, not those wall units. Extremely clean. And equipped with your choice of a regular pillow or feather pillows. Breakfast is free and it's a good one. Waffles, eggs, sausage, 3 different kinds of bread as well as bagels and english muffins. 4 kinds of cereal (name brand), 4 kinds of juice, coffee, milk, apples and bananas as well as cut up seasonal fruit. Even yogurt and hard boiled eggs. Breakfast room is very nice with tables and chairs (not those little ice cream parlor things) and sofas and chairs and a fireplace. Also a patio with table and chairs so you can eat outside in nice weather. They have a 24 hour mart in case you forget something and it also carries food items including frozen dinners. If you stay on Tues, Wed or Thurs there is a get together in the evening with free food. I can't judge this as we stayed on Sun and Mon. Also free wireless internet. This was not my husband's convention's hotel of choice, but we will stay here again next year when he has to be at the convention.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business