“Excellent except for noise and door banging”

Holiday Inn Express Hotels And Suites Pekin
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Pekin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 3, 2012

This is a newer place that is excellent in most ways. Very clean, fast internet, comfortable bed, great service and check-in. Note that it is a somewhat circuitous path to get to it from I-494 - make certain your directions are clear.

I asked for a room on the top floor when making reservations, was given a room on the second floor with no other options when I arrived at 8:00 PM. I always get a top floor because of noise issues. So, from between 4:30 and about 5:00 AM, I was treated to what sounded like furniture rearrangement overhead. This is less a complaint of this hotel, and more HI express and similar buildings in general. They tend to loud.

For those interested, the breakfast was well below average. No hot food (out of order sign) and the bagel I got was stale.

Good rate though and I would return, but only if I got a room on the top floor.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank roboird
Carl C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotels And Suites Pekin, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Thank you for your comments! I have addressed your concerns regarding breakfast and can assure you this will not happen again. I also looked into why you were not provided a top floor room. I can not provide you with a reason why this did not happen but I did bring this up to the front desk staff at our weekly meeting. While we can not guarantee this type of request we do try to provide you with your requests.

Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed February 5, 2012

This hotel is located 1/2 mile from the Avanti's Pekin Dome. Conveinient yes, hospitable absolutely NOT! The property is new and clean. The breakfast is a plus. Some of the front desk staff needs to return to hospitality school, asked for a late check out and the young lady at the front desk could not have been more ignorant, and I am a Priority Club Member, that being said she was ignorant and rude for the entire weekend. We will be contacting the General Manager. They should warn teams ahead of time that upon check in you must sign a behavior contract. Guests may not have more than 5 people to a room. No one under 18 may walk in halls after 10:00 p.m. and no one over 18 may be in the hall after 11 p.m. Are you kidding me? Previously stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Morton for a tournament and they were more than hospitable. Not here. Travel teams be warned. If travel teams did not stay there on weekends you would be empty.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Julie M

I apologize again for your experience with my staff. I have spoken with the employee you had mentioned and it has been addressed. I am truely sorry if she was out of line.

The "Guest Policy Waiver" which has been put in place to help control excessive noise in the hotel, is in place for the protection, safety and attempt to keep excessive noise down. While it does not state that no one can be in the hallway after 11 pm it does state that a quiet time of 11:00 pm has been established and at this time all hallways, public areas and rooms must be free from any gatherings causing excessive noise. This is done so all can enjoy there stay and obtain the rest everyone is looking for when staying away from home and ensure the safety of everyone. If anyone is in the need of an area to gather anyone has the option of renting one of our banquet rooms which are all located away from any hotel room. They can accommodate up to 100 people and this may be a good option in the future.

Regarding the maximum of 5 people to a room. This is not our rule this a Fire Code regulation that we must abide by and is for everyones safety.

Thank you for the kind comment regarding the cleanliness of our hotel and the breakfast area. I will be sure to let both the housekeeping department know of your nice comment as well as the breakfast attendants!

Thank you for taking the time to write the review and I hope you understand the reason the policy is in place. I really hope you choose to visit our location again so you can see your comments did not fall onto deaf ears.

Thanks again!

Reviewed December 9, 2011

I travel frequently across the US. Hotel staff very curteous and friendly. Rooms very clean and breakfast very satisfying. For the price I definitely recommend.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Bones650
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I was impressed with how clean the hotel and rooms were. Breakfast was nice, yes it was free so I can't complain too loudly. Would have been nice to have fruit. Front desk people were very nice and always quick to greet you. Room was always cleaned by the maids. The room was really nice and spacious with many features including microwave and fridge. Lots of eating places and shopping right nearby. Very little outside noise. Bathroom was super clean! No mold or nasty caulking jobs. Their wireless was pretty good, easy to connect to. Speed was decent. Hallway carpeting was dizzying but clean. Not afraid to walk in my bare feet to the pool. Don't think this racist, but in all the hotels I have stayed, this is the only one I have been at that had no ethnic diversity, all the employees were white. I didn't care, I know some people do.

The pool area could have used a little help. The floor of the pool and hottub was visibly dirty...showered afterwards. Cable selection was poor, glad I had laptop and their wireless so I could watch Netflix (even though the connection dropped every 20 minutes with Netflix only). Wanted to use gym, didn't like the idea of all the windows. I felt like a store window display every time someone walked by. The walls were very thin. I was blasted by the TV on one side and a frisky couple on the other. A little creaped out by all the smokers hanging out at the front doors and the pool's outside windows. Take your room towel when going to the pool, the pool towels are the size of kitchen hand towels.

Room Tip: Room with 1 king size bed also had a hide-a-bed in the loveseat. TV's have external hookups, mi...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Dale S
ExpressGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotels And Suites Pekin, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2011

Thank you for your review, we are always looking for ways to better our hotel. We take to heart everything you have to say about your stay. We hope that you will choose us again.

Erin Schuette

Reviewed July 11, 2011

Great place to stay-everything was great-however the pool area could have used a little cleaning.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank swartie29
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We recently stayed here with a number of relatives for a Pekin-based family reunion. The hotel was clean, the staff was friendly, the rooms were well-sized. Free parking was ample. There was a small gym and also a small pool (with hottub) that we did not use but we saw others enjoying. We would not hesitate to stay there again. Everyone was pleased with the relatively large warm breakfast buffet (biscuits and gravy, pancake machine, etc.) Free coffee in the lobby. The hotel is located next to a well-known family-friendly Italian restaurant (Avantis) which makes lunch/dinners easy; Walmart is across the street if you need groceries or travel supplies. Free wireless internet worked fine.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank PackTheBagAndGo
Reviewed July 8, 2011

The rooms have paper thin walls. We could hear the television in both adjoining rooms. Take your own towels. Breakfast great.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank dmiddle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pekin
Econo Lodge and Suites
Super 8 Pekin/Peoria Area
Studio 6 Pekin
Studio 6 Pekin
#4 of 4 in Pekin
Fairfield Inn & Suites Peoria East
Embassy Suites by Hilton East Peoria - Hotel & RiverFront Conf Center
Hampton Inn Peoria-East At The River Boat Crossing

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotels And Suites Pekin? Share your experiences!