I'd like to be able to say what it's like to stay at the King John Inn but unfortunately we didn't get the chance. After a frantic week at work we decided at last minute to spend short weekend away for our wedding anniversary. Booked on the Friday evening for the following night through Late Rooms, got the confirmation at 8:00 pm, packed our overnight bag and went to bed ready for an early start to get best out of the weekend.
Rose at 6:00 on Saturday morning and thankfully checked email before setting off to find that the King John had cancelled our booking, two hours after we’d had the confirmation. Later in the morning they phoned with a very perfunctory excuse about taking another booking over the phone while we made the online booking. It's not the first time we've been 'bounced' off a Late Rooms booking and I'll reserve judgment on any reasons for the double booking. However:
- a call on the Friday evening would have saved the disappointment of finding we were packed and ready with no where to stay
- other reviews on here speak of a cold business approach and that was my feeling, I got the impression this was just an unfortunate, procedural error in their view
- better administrative procedures on their part would have prevented the ‘double booking’ circumstances as described to me
Late Rooms were excellent and cancelled the charge on my card immediately. The King John offered to put us in touch with another hotel locally - one we'd seen online already and it really didn’t appeal.
But all’s well that ends well. At 9:00am I found, via the Salisbury Tourism website, a room at one of the Sunday Times awards ‘best B&B’s’. It was fantastic, welcoming, stylish, comfortable and £20 cheaper than the King John.
Lesson learnt? Well, if (and it’s a big if) we use Late Rooms again we’ll follow up with a phone call to the hotel for assurance that the booking will be honoured.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the scenic village of Tollard Royal in rural Wiltshire, The King John Inn is a Victorian and award-wining country inn offering beautiful accommodation, delicious food and a warm, friendly service. Our eight en-suite bedrooms combine modern comfort with rustic elegance and feature luxurious linen, Nespresso machines, flat-screen TVs, Wi-Fi, direct dial phones and luxurious toiletries. Our Head Chef is an accomplished fisherman, bakes his own bread, makes his own cheese and still finds time to get up early and catch local game when in season so you can expect that every plate on the King John menu is as fresh as it can be and is expertly crafted with a passion for the local countryside. We are proud to have recently received 1 Rosette from the AA. In summer, our terraced garden is the perfect place to dine alfresco while watching the chefs in action in their Victorian-inspired outdoor kitchen. In winter, relax near our roaring-log fires in our open plan pub or in the informal restaurant. The bar provides an ever-changing selection of imported drafts and local beers as well as an extensive wine list. Salisbury and its cathedral are only a 30 minute drive away whilst the beautiful hillside town of Shaftesbury is only 20 minutes. The King John Inn also sits within a 5-minute walk of the historic Rushmore Park, an area of lawn and open woodland home to the Rushmore Golf Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Agoda and LateRooms so you can book your King John Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- King John Hotel Wiltshire