“Not bad at all” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wonersh
Northamptonshire
“Not bad at all”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights in room 45, a courtyard room overlooking the woods and garden. Very quite at night, excellent wifi as the router is outside the room. Room is small but cosy. Bed is comfortable. Large bathroom with power shower. The windows could do with a little TLC as they do not shut or latch well and the recent high winds meant there was a draft.
The staff are the stars here, everyone was friendly and accommodating.
I will definitely stay again when on business in the area again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill whilst in the area on business. I was very pleased to note that you enjoyed a good night's sleep and that the Wifi signal in room 45 was excellent however please do accept my apologies if the windows in the room were drafty which I will have my in-house maintenance team look into.

I am delighted that you were looked after so well by the team during your stay and that the service and hospitality you received was friendly and attentive which is always our aim. We look forward to welcoming you back in due course.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

If you are looking for the English country manor ambiance with lots of old bricks and flagstones, hedges sculpted to perfection and a Bentley or two parked at the door, then you will certainly love this place. But if you want the same old English quality in your chamber (that is ye olde English for bedroom), then you will be a little disappointed. Though quite clean with modern bathroom fixtures, the bedrooms are strictly motel grade and quite small for the price you would pay in a small town such as Guildford. Perhaps the rooms at the Holiday Inn at the same price are better. We also did not appreciate the fact that on the first night, when our daughter had to stay with us, the hotel could not provide at least a cot even if they had to charge for a third person. We had to pay for a second room.

The other deterrent, besides the rooms, is the general quirkiness of the rambling old establishment. One morning the water heater malfunctioned in one entire wing of the main building, leaving no option but to miss our morning shower. I have stayed in hotels all over the world and never had to skip shower due to the lack of hot water. No discount was offered for this major inconvenience. Thankfully we had not been sweating due to the cold weather. I went to check out the fitness center and it happened to be located deep into the basement and accessible only through dark and dingy corridors. If you were down there by yourself and fell, I don't believe your cries for help would be heard by the staff upstairs. There were no porters visible. The worst aspect of this remotely located property is the last mile of approach. It goes through a narrow road that ultimately becomes single lane (meaning only one car can pass through while the oncoming car agrees to scoot over). As you try to turn right to enter the property, you are shocked to be facing a cemetery unless you make a very sharp right. It was a very ghoulish Halloween experience for us trying to find this place in pitch dark, non-stop rain and a GPS that was misreading everything. We finally had to knock on somebody's door to find out where exactly this famous place was.

None of these comments should dissuade you from sampling the charms of this period establishment for a day or two. If you happen to be from the US or other countries relatively devoid of very old restored buildings, you should definitely stay at Barnett to complete your British vacation. The bar is cozy, the dining room very intimate with a roaring fireplace, the breakfast very English and the staff genuinely nice. Of course, the building and grounds are straight out of Jane Austen. But maintain your sense of humor because this is not your standard hotel with totally predictable amenities.

Room Tip: Insist on the main building, not the annexe. The rooms are pretty much the same but at least you wou...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank FloridianDesi
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I am of course very sorry that we apparently failed to meet entirely with your expectations on this occasion since it is never our intention to have anyone leave Barnett Hill feeling anything other than completely satisfied.

Unfortunately, having originally be designed and built as a private family home in 1905 for the grandson of Thomas Cook, Barnett Hill's 60 bedrooms do vary somewhat in terms of their style, size and appointment and offer a completely different experience to that provided by a corporate branded hotel such as a Holiday Inn in that, what we may lack in size we hopefully make up for in terms of character and charm.

Please accept my apologies for the fact that your bedroom would not accommodate an extra bed (cot) for your daughter and that at the time of your stay you had to pay for an additional room for her. We do of course provide extra beds on request in rooms that will accommodate them however, we recommend that these beds are only suitable for children up to the age of 12 years old due to their size.

I am also very sorry for any inconvenience caused to you by the temporary interruption to the hot water supply in one section of the building during your stay and for the fact that we failed to compensate you accordingly for this matter. This was unfortunately due to a defective motorised valve preventing the hot water from circulating effectively which has now been replaced and I am pleased to report that we have had no further issues of this nature since.

I have noted your comments regarding the the location of our gym which although situated in the basement is accessed along a well lit corridor directly down from Barnett Hill's bar and very close to our staff room therefore it would be highly unlikely that anyone would go unnoticed should they get into difficulties for any reason and we also have an emergency alarm cord fitted in the sauna area connected to Reception to summon assistance if required.

I am very sorry that you had such a 'ghoulish haloween' experience upon first arriving at Barnett Hill. Our semi-rural location in the heart of the Surrey Hills means that to access the property you do have to travel up a narrow country lane with passing places however, our entrance is identified by two large illuminate signs either side of the main drive and the cemetery to which you refer is somewhat further along the lane than has been implied. I suspect therefore that the 'Satnav' and the pouring rain may have to take the blame for this unfortunate incident.

Finally however, I would like to thank you for your positive comments in respect of the service and hospitality you received whilst staying with us and to reassure you that we are continually involved with activities aimed at improving the quality of the facilities we provide whilst at the same time seeking to maintain the period charm and originality of this grade 2* listed property.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

I liked the period feel to the place which is what gives it 4 from 5 for me. The rooms on their own, though with basic modern amenities, would rank really only a 3 at best. Was here for a conference, and enjoyed the bar and basement games room as well as the food and gardens. And as a Red Cross supporter the history of the place added to the enjoyment.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill whilst attending a conference. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the period feel of what was once a Victorian family home albeit on a grand scale and that the food and facilities provided during your stay met with your expectations.
I have noted your comment regarding 'the rooms' and would like to reassure you that we do have a on-going programme of bedroom refurbishment and modernisation in place as well as some more significant future investment plans for the property which are currently being considered.
Once again I thank you for your comments and look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Barnett Hill at some point in the future.
Aylesford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Stayed here for New Year. What was offered was a special evening staying in a high spec room, pre dinner champagne and gala menu accompanied by jazz music until after midnight. That is not what we got....

Arrived at hotel on a grey and wet 31st December afternoon to be told we had an upgraded room that happened to be a walk OUTSIDE along a poorly lit route to another building! I asked for a room in the main building and was offered two rooms which had not been refurbished and were tiny and somthing from the 1970's. Our room was okay but of course we had to walk through the night back to hotel for the evening festivities in our dinner suits and evening dresses. Yes it was raining by now...... The champagne reception area was dark, there was no background music and when I requested a second glass I was asked if I had had a glass already! We sat down for the meal, in a room NEXT DOOR to the jazz. It didn't matter because the jazz was merely low level (i.e. you could not hear it). Food was okay but not great. At midnight they just switched on the TV and we were treated to the fireworks in London. To be honest that was the highlight! At precisely 0030 hrs the jazz 'group' finished and it was good night. No other music, not even background music in the bar. A truly average New Year at best.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Paul D

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your stay at Barnett Hill on New Year's Eve. I was of course most disappointed to note your comments since it is never our intention to have guests leave Barnett Hill feeling anything other than completely satisfied and having successfully run the same New Year's Eve celebration package for the last four years it is a shame that on this occasion it failed to meet with your personal expectations.

I am sorry that you found the location of our refurbished bedrooms in the Gardener's Cottage inconvenient being a short walk from the main house and that the alternative rooms that you were offered in the main house were not to your liking. Unfortunately as an historic grade 2* listed property the majority of our rooms vary considerably in terms of size, style and appointment and I appreciate that this may not be to everyone's taste however, it does add to the buildings character.

During the pre-dinner Champagne reception there was recorded background music being played and I apologise if this could not be heard above the conversation of the other guests in the reception room whilst being entertained by our close up magician and for any disappointment this may have caused you. The Champagne served was offered on a free pouring basis and I apologise for any misunderstanding as it may have been that you were asked if you still had your glass so that it could be 'topped up' rather than the suggestion that there was a restriction on the number of glasses you were permitted.

Due to the size of Barnett Hill we have always been careful to market our New Year's Eve celebrations as a more 'relaxed' evening based around a gala dinner and good company with music provided for guests to dance to after dinner should they choose to do so rather than the more traditional 'dinner dance'. We have provided this format for the past four years always with great success and positive feedback from our guests particularly regarding the quality of the food with the majority of guests having returned year on year so it is particularly disappointing for us to learn that you did not enjoy yourself.

Our brochure stated that the jazz/swing trio would be playing up until 12.30 a.m. and in fact they played on for a little while longer having seen in the New Year with the traditional, Auld Lang Syne just after midnight following the countdown and chimes of Big Ben which was, as you have mentioned shown on two large flat screen TV's which, experience has taught us is how most people prefer to see in the New Year. Therefore I am sorry once again if this failed to meet with your expectations.

I would agree however that the New Year celebrations at Barnett Hill are better suited to a more mature market aimed at those who are perhaps 50+ and not necessarily looking for a loud disco and caberet band playing into early hours and we seem to have found a niche market over the years which suit our maximum numbers of around 65 for the evening.

Once again I thank you for your feedback which will certainly provide me with some food for thought when planning 2014 and will prompt the questions to be asked regarding what we might be able to do better for this coming year.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Lovely place and grounds, took our two dogs and our room had its own little private secure outdoor area for the dogs + the exit door to the ground for walks was right there 5 seconds away from room. Dinner and Breakfast was really nice and all staff were helpful and friendly. Only slight point would be that £25 per night per dog is the most expensive Ive seen anywhere! £50 is a lot extra to pay to bring two small dogs for a night. Usually its more like £10 per dog per night in other places I have stayed, but oh well

Room Tip: Room 1 if taking dogs.
Dear Matt T

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I am delighted that you and your dogs had an enjoyable time with us and that the service, food and hospitality you received met with your expectations.

With regard to the charge for your dogs please accept my sincere apologies as I believe there to have been an unfortunate misunderstanding on the part of my reservationist who misinterpreted our charging policy which is £25 per stay and not per dog per night. I have asked for this to be looked into and for you to be reimbursed accordingly either by directly refunding your credit card or though contacting you directly to arrange an alternative means of reimbursement. Hopefully this will make us appear more affordable and as a result we may look forward to welcoming you and the dogs back again at some point in the future!
Hayle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

I had stayed here a couple of years ago when my partner was in hospital - I had remembered the lovely grounds and I had always planned to re-visit. Sadly, my other half had another bout in hospital last week and we just wanted a night somewhere quiet and relaxing so we booked a last minute one night at the Barnett Hill. We stayed in the Garden Cottage and had a beautiful , large room which I understand had been recently refurbished. The bathroom was fantastic with a large bath and separate shower cubicle. Breakfast was plentiful and well presented with good attentive service. One of the waitresses was a tall girl with red hair and she was lovely. We enjoyed our one night so much that we booked to stay another night - we were given a a special rate which included dinner and a bottle of wine. This did represent really good value for money. The dinner was well cooked and presented- we both had salmon , I am not sure people with large appetites would find it quite sufficient but a lady on another table had ordered a burger which seemed to be a very generous portion. The dining room was very quiet, a bit of music would have made it a bit more atmospheric and maybe a few candles! I would recommend this hotel to others, it is in a gorgeous tranquil location with surrounded by well kept grounds and with lovely birdlife. Great for an 'away from it all' break. The staff were friendly and helpful and the setting lovely.

Room Tip: we stayed in the gardener's cottage outside and it was a lovely, generous room - the whole build...
Dear Ruth G

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I am very sorry that your partner has had to spend time in hospital again however, I was delighted to learn that ,having stayed with us a couple of years ago you remembered us and took the opportunity to stay with us again and even extended your stay to two nights on this occasion!

The Gardener's Cottage was refurbished earlier last year to provide four comfortable bedrooms with en-suite facilities and a full range of guest amenities including, a fridge, safe, iPod docking station, flat screen digital TV and free wifi, I am very pleased therefore that you found this to your liking and in particular the bathroom.

With regard to dining with us we are always looking for ways to improve upon the current experience we provide for our guests and we have plans in place to introduce background music in a number of our public areas during the course of this year. I was pleased however to note that you felt breakfast was plentiful and well presented as we have recently introduced a number of improvements to what we offer and that your evening meal was well cooked if not a little on the small side which is something we have taken account of.

Thank you for offering to recommend Barnett Hill to others which is much appreciated and I sincerely hope that you will have the opportunity to stay with us again in the future although hopefully not as a direct result of your partner having to visit hospital again.
Okehampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

I just love staying at Barnett Hill - it's such a treat!
A wonderful location, with fabulous gardens / grounds..........
Lovely restaurant with excellent evening meals..........
Clean and comfortable rooms, with thoughtful touches.........
An absolutely brilliant breakfast.........
Thanks yet again to the welcoming and efficient staff. Will hopefully be back soon!

Room Tip: The Garden Wing is my favourite
Dear Margot,

Once again thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your 10th stay with us! I was of course delighted to read your comments and your extremely positive feedback particularly about our breakfast service which we have recently upgraded. Your comments regarding the service and hospitality you received are, as always much appreciated by all of the team and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wonersh
Asperion
#11 of 11 in Guildford
Holiday Inn Guildford
Holiday Inn Guildford
#2 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Barnett Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!