“Our 10th stay and brilliant as always!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barnett Hill Hotel

Barnett Hill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wonersh
Okehampton, United Kingdom
“Our 10th stay and brilliant as always!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

I just love staying at Barnett Hill - it's such a treat!
A wonderful location, with fabulous gardens / grounds..........
Lovely restaurant with excellent evening meals..........
Clean and comfortable rooms, with thoughtful touches.........
An absolutely brilliant breakfast.........
Thanks yet again to the welcoming and efficient staff. Will hopefully be back soon!

Room Tip: The Garden Wing is my favourite
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Margot,

Once again thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your 10th stay with us! I was of course delighted to read your comments and your extremely positive feedback particularly about our breakfast service which we have recently upgraded. Your comments regarding the service and hospitality you received are, as always much appreciated by all of the team and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
UNITED KINGDOM
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights and was put in Room 3, we were looking forward to a restful peaceful break, but it was dreadful , the bed was so small, to us not a double bed! The mattress did not seem to have any support. Our room was also facing a car park, where it became very noisy with people talking loudly and with their car engines running and their car headlights directly shining into our room. On the second evening my husband had to sleep on the floor!
The breakfast was plentiful but the cooked breakfast was kept under heated lights so was only luke warm to eat. We treated ourselves to a meal in the evening, i had what was suppose to be a t bone steak but when it arrived it looked just like flash fry steak it really wasn't very special, i requested for my dessert fresh fruit salad and all i got was one triangle piece of pineapple, melon
and 3 little pieces of apple which was so tiny. There was a wedding going on, and the dining room we were in was next door do the disco was very loud, and the waitresses kept the door open a lot of the time. As they looked busy and under staffed, we didn't complain at the time even though we noticed another couple did complain about their meal . On our departure the receptionist did ask how was our stay, and i told her that our main complaint was the noisy room and the small bed and that my husband had to sleep on the floor . She did say that we could have moved but at 1am you don't really want to pack and move rooms. She also did say if we returned she would give us a kingsize bed room at a discounted price and took £20 off our dinner meal as a good gesture. The grounds do look beautiful but due to the weather we did not venture out to look around. We are due to go back to guildford a few more times this year and might give it one more try and see if they keep up their promise.

Room Tip: Do not take room 3
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I was of course most concerned to note your comments since, as I am sure you will see from other reviews on Trip Advisor, it is never our intention to have anyone leave Barnett Hill feeling anything other than completely satisfied and I am very sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet entirely with your expectations.

The quality of our buffet style breakfasts is something that is regularly commented on by guests who stay with us therefore I was somewhat surprised to read your comments regarding the temperature of the hot food as we always aim to cook the food from fresh in smaller quantities and replace it frequently to maintain its quality. I am also very sorry if you were disappointed by the quality of your evening meal however, I do believe there may have been a slight misunderstanding with your main course since 'T bone' steak does not feature on any of our menus.

It was unfortunate that the wedding taking place on the night you chose to have dinner with us appears to have somewhat spoiled the enjoyment of your evening due to the noise from the disco for which I apologise however, although busy there were sufficient members of the Barnett Hill team available to look after all our guests and unfortunately the door to the Library had to be left open on occasions to allow access to and from the room when serving food which regrettably could not be avoided

I was reassured that upon checking out, the receptionist on duty showed empathy towards you and your husband upon learning of your concerns having mentioned that, had you made us aware of your disappointment earlier during your stay we could perhaps have done more to assist you in moving rooms and agreed to discount your dinner bill by £20 in recognition of the fact that you were unhappy with the quality of the meal you received.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies for our apparent failure to meet with your expectations on this occasion however, as far as 'keeping our promises' is concerned please be assured that should you decide to stay at Barnett Hill again in the future when next visiting the area we will do our utmost to ensure you are well looked after.
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Barnett Hill is primarily a conference centre during the week, which becomes an excellent, ideal and beautiful wedding venue at weekends but don’t be put off, if you are seeking hotel accommodation and you are not part of a group or wedding party. This is an excellent place to stay in the Guildford area and offers very reasonably priced accommodation and dining. The breakfast is excellent and the staff, helpful and accommodating. The oak panelled dining room is most comfortable and the food good, if slightly ‘nouvelle cuisine’. One absolute plus is the excellent Wi-Fi connection. Some top class hotels should take note and provide a service as good as this; it is also free!

The highlight of a stay at this hotel however, is the house itself, once the home of the man who invented tourism, Thomas Cook. The house, completed in 1910 is an excellent example of Edwardian splendour and even more so, the superb gardens and grounds are a joy. I was there in the autumn and winter, so didn’t see them in their summer glory but they are wonderful in any season, excellently planted by former keepers and maintained to the very highest of standards by the present gardening team, who are all most friendly and knowledgeable. The arboretum is superb and the ‘Wendy House’ which was built for a grandchild of Cook, fascinating. I hope to return in the summer for a game on the excellent croquet lawn.

Room Tip: I prefer room in the main house but the stable block is quiet and secluded.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Philip B

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill in December last year. I was very pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, the service you received, the quality of our breakfasts and the benefit of having free wifi throughout the property with a consistently good reception which, when travelling on business these days we believe should be a 'given'.

Thank you also for your overview of the history of the house which was built in 1905 for the grandson of Thomas Cook and for which rumour has it he paid £30,000! The gardens and grounds are certainly something of which we are justifiably very proud and it is a shame that you were not staying with us at a time when they could be seen at their very best but hopefully you will have cause to visit the area again in the not too distant future when we look forward to being of service to you once again.
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

We had such a fantastic stay before Christmas at Barnett Hill we decided to stay another night after Christmas. The staff were so kind - especially Laura, Colette and James & went out of their way to make our stay really great. We will recommend Barnett Hill to anyone!

Room Tip: Gardener's Cottage has been newly refurbished and is lovely - about 3 mins walk from the main ho...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FiBos
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill both before and after Christmas. I am delighted that on both occasions several members of the Barnett Hill team went out of their way to make your stay with us so enjoyable and on their behalf I thank you for your very kind comments which are greatly appreciated.

Thank you also for you offer to recommend Barnett Hill to others and for your endorsement of our newly refurbished bedrooms within the Gardener's Cottage situated just a short walk from the main house. We look forward to hopefully being of service to you again in the future.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

Visiting my sister between Christmas and New Year Barnett Hill seemed like the perfect place to stay. A beautiful Queen Anne style country house in stunning, but out of the way grounds (take your sat nav to find the hotel). There are beautiful features such as originally plasterwork in the long gallery and staircase area and wooden panelling. The hotel is situated close to Guildford, and has full event (conference/wedding) facilities.

Our room was in the garden annex, not in the main house itself and was warm, clean and everything we could have wanted. There was a great shower, comfortable bed and great welcome tray, iPod/iPhone docking station and unlimited free wifi in the room. The decor was country with plenty of storage and work space.

The breakfast, which is included in the price, was brilliant. There was an excellent array of choices from really good fresh fruit salad (made fresh every day) to cereals to hot buffet and items such as fish which can be cooked to order off the menu. The staff were friendly and attentive, and will plate a breakfast up for you if required.

My hotel booking was only for one night originally but having been very impressed I spoke to the receptionist who quickly and efficiently arranged for a second nights stay. The second night was as good as the first, with another excellent breakfast the second day.

All in all one of my best stays this year, excellent room, staff and food. What more could you want? I wil now use this as my hotel of choice when in the area with work or visiting family as he value for money was excellent.

Room Tip: The rooms in the garden annex are quiet and close to the car park.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a comprehensive review of your stay at Barnett Hill between Christmas and New Year whilst visiting your sister locally. I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay with us, so much so that you decided to stay for an extra night!

Thank you also for your very positive comments in respect of the service you received, the quality of our breakfasts and the comfort and facilities provided for you in our Gardener's Cottage all of which are very much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Barnett Hill hopefully in the not too distant future whether it be for business or for pleasure.
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

I was on a short trip to Guildford on business. I must say Barnett Hill is one amazing place to spend if you enjoy being close to nature with so much flora around. It is refreshing, courteous staff and spacious rooms (only double bed room). As most of you may already know, they do not have AC and you have to ask for a table fan ( which could already be in your room). Do not chose single bed room, even if you have traveled alone, they are really small where you will find difficult to stretch legs.

Thanks to Gatwick and Heathrow, it could have been one of the quietest place on earth.
I'd love to go back to Barnett Hill, if I have to travel Guildford again!

Room Tip: Never chose a single room, even if you are travelling alone.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your stay at Barnett Hill earlier last year. I am delighted that you enjoyed the peace and tranquility of the property's setting so much and that the service you received from us was courteous and attentive.

Regrettably being a grade 2* listed building, planning constraints mean that we are unable to have the benefit of AC throughout our bedrooms however we do provide desk fans in all guest bedrooms as an alternative to be used during the warmest of British summers. Of all our 60 bedrooms only 7 are classified as singles and it is hoped that as part of future significant development plans all of our rooms will become doubles in the fullness of time.

You are of course right that were it not for Gatwick and Heathrow airports both being within an hours drive of Barnett Hill we probably would be one of the quietest places on earth however, given that we are also only 10 minutes drive away from the centre of the county town of Guildford our location and setting is still very special and much appreciated by the many guests like you who have stayed with us and look forward to returning someday.
Northern Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

Barnett Hill has much to commend it - the staff are very polite and efficient and the food was excellent. It is in a lovely setting in the middle of the country and only 45 mins by taxi from Gatwick so can be easily got to. Facilities in the location are also good.

The negatives are that the rooms are somewhat dated and not to the standard of a hotel - some would call it cosy but for me it was too dated - and the shower was poor. Also the venue in the main is very cold, an old building that is hard to heat.

Overall I would say that it is good rather than average but not very good. As a guest at a work residential I would be happy to return - but I am not sure if I was organising one this would be the location I would pick. However as a guest I have no idea of the price that was paid so it may/ may not be value for money and the food in itself would give me good reason to return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear McKitties,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill and for your positive feedback regarding the quality of the service and food your received throughout your stay with us.

I appreciate your constructive comments regarding the quality of some of our accommodation and please be assured that this is an area that receives continual attention as part of our rolling programme of in-house maintenance as well as being the subject of some more significant investment proposals in the very near future. I am very sorry if you found parts of the property very cold which should not have been the case despite the temperature being harder to control in an older style building and I apologies for any discomfort you may have been caused.

With regard to 'value for money' Sundial Group the family business who own and operate Barnett Hill have been voted 'Best Value for Money Meetings Product' by BDRC the UK's leading independent market research company operating in our industry from 2008 to 2012 therefore I am confident that in this respect we are very well regarded within the meetings and events industry.

Thank you once again for your comments and we hope that your organisation will consider using Barnett Hill again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wonersh
Asperion
#11 of 11 in Guildford
Holiday Inn Guildford
Holiday Inn Guildford
#2 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Barnett Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!