“So good we stayed an extra night!”
Review of Barnett Hill Hotel

Barnett Hill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wonersh
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“So good we stayed an extra night!”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Visiting my sister between Christmas and New Year Barnett Hill seemed like the perfect place to stay. A beautiful Queen Anne style country house in stunning, but out of the way grounds (take your sat nav to find the hotel). There are beautiful features such as originally plasterwork in the long gallery and staircase area and wooden panelling. The hotel is situated close to Guildford, and has full event (conference/wedding) facilities.

Our room was in the garden annex, not in the main house itself and was warm, clean and everything we could have wanted. There was a great shower, comfortable bed and great welcome tray, iPod/iPhone docking station and unlimited free wifi in the room. The decor was country with plenty of storage and work space.

The breakfast, which is included in the price, was brilliant. There was an excellent array of choices from really good fresh fruit salad (made fresh every day) to cereals to hot buffet and items such as fish which can be cooked to order off the menu. The staff were friendly and attentive, and will plate a breakfast up for you if required.

My hotel booking was only for one night originally but having been very impressed I spoke to the receptionist who quickly and efficiently arranged for a second nights stay. The second night was as good as the first, with another excellent breakfast the second day.

All in all one of my best stays this year, excellent room, staff and food. What more could you want? I wil now use this as my hotel of choice when in the area with work or visiting family as he value for money was excellent.

Room Tip: The rooms in the garden annex are quiet and close to the car park.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a comprehensive review of your stay at Barnett Hill between Christmas and New Year whilst visiting your sister locally. I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay with us, so much so that you decided to stay for an extra night!

Thank you also for your very positive comments in respect of the service you received, the quality of our breakfasts and the comfort and facilities provided for you in our Gardener's Cottage all of which are very much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Barnett Hill hopefully in the not too distant future whether it be for business or for pleasure.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I was on a short trip to Guildford on business. I must say Barnett Hill is one amazing place to spend if you enjoy being close to nature with so much flora around. It is refreshing, courteous staff and spacious rooms (only double bed room). As most of you may already know, they do not have AC and you have to ask for a table fan ( which could already be in your room). Do not chose single bed room, even if you have traveled alone, they are really small where you will find difficult to stretch legs.

Thanks to Gatwick and Heathrow, it could have been one of the quietest place on earth.
I'd love to go back to Barnett Hill, if I have to travel Guildford again!

Room Tip: Never chose a single room, even if you are travelling alone.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your stay at Barnett Hill earlier last year. I am delighted that you enjoyed the peace and tranquility of the property's setting so much and that the service you received from us was courteous and attentive.

Regrettably being a grade 2* listed building, planning constraints mean that we are unable to have the benefit of AC throughout our bedrooms however we do provide desk fans in all guest bedrooms as an alternative to be used during the warmest of British summers. Of all our 60 bedrooms only 7 are classified as singles and it is hoped that as part of future significant development plans all of our rooms will become doubles in the fullness of time.

You are of course right that were it not for Gatwick and Heathrow airports both being within an hours drive of Barnett Hill we probably would be one of the quietest places on earth however, given that we are also only 10 minutes drive away from the centre of the county town of Guildford our location and setting is still very special and much appreciated by the many guests like you who have stayed with us and look forward to returning someday.
Northern Ireland
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Barnett Hill has much to commend it - the staff are very polite and efficient and the food was excellent. It is in a lovely setting in the middle of the country and only 45 mins by taxi from Gatwick so can be easily got to. Facilities in the location are also good.

The negatives are that the rooms are somewhat dated and not to the standard of a hotel - some would call it cosy but for me it was too dated - and the shower was poor. Also the venue in the main is very cold, an old building that is hard to heat.

Overall I would say that it is good rather than average but not very good. As a guest at a work residential I would be happy to return - but I am not sure if I was organising one this would be the location I would pick. However as a guest I have no idea of the price that was paid so it may/ may not be value for money and the food in itself would give me good reason to return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear McKitties,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill and for your positive feedback regarding the quality of the service and food your received throughout your stay with us.

I appreciate your constructive comments regarding the quality of some of our accommodation and please be assured that this is an area that receives continual attention as part of our rolling programme of in-house maintenance as well as being the subject of some more significant investment proposals in the very near future. I am very sorry if you found parts of the property very cold which should not have been the case despite the temperature being harder to control in an older style building and I apologies for any discomfort you may have been caused.

With regard to 'value for money' Sundial Group the family business who own and operate Barnett Hill have been voted 'Best Value for Money Meetings Product' by BDRC the UK's leading independent market research company operating in our industry from 2008 to 2012 therefore I am confident that in this respect we are very well regarded within the meetings and events industry.

Thank you once again for your comments and we hope that your organisation will consider using Barnett Hill again in the future.
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2013

This is a very nice hotel that is out of the way in lovely peacful suroundings. The Staff are great and very helpfull.
We attened a Xmas do for 40 people and the service was very good the food well presented and all our tables food arrived at the the same time.
The prces are not over inflated and the bar was very well stocked with good choice.
As we stayed over the only minor fault was our room (24) which was unique to say the least, its onlt only place I have stayed where you get a small bedroom (you could not walk round the bed) and large bathroom, but by talking to others it semed it was just our room as the others were great. As we wereonly there for one night this was not a problem.
Ideal venue for functions.

Room Tip: Not room 24
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Peter B

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent overnight stay at Barnett Hill when attending a Christmas Party. Thank you also for your very positive feedback regarding the quality of the food and service you received during your event and for your acknowledgement that in your opinion our range of bar drinks and prices represented good value for money.

With regard to the concern you expressed over the size of your bedroom, as is the case with a number of older, historic properties, the majority of our rooms do vary in terms of their size, style and appointment and I am therefore sorry if on this occasion the room you were allocated did not meet entirely with your expectations.
Kent
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This is a well run hotel, very much adapted to conferences but which makes an excellent base for the Guildford area. The gardens are beautifully planted and superbly maintained. We found them much more pleasing than those at the National Trust's Polesden Lacey. Catering is simple but perfectly good and the buffet breakfast overlooking the gardens is fine. It is an adapted country house, used for many years as a training centre, and has a stylish entrance area.

The downside is finding the place, mainly due to the country roads and the fact that you have to double back on yourself at one point. You definitely need satnav if you are arriving in the dark.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house, which was convenient and comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill and for your very positive comments in respect of all aspects of your stay.

Your comments regarding our gardens and grounds are praise indeed when comparing us with those of the National Trust's Polesden Lacey and I am sure that Della our Estate Manager and her team of two will be delighted with your appreciation of their efforts!

I am sorry if you experienced a little difficulty in locating Barnett Hill initially and I would agree that if you have one, a satnav could be useful especially in the dark although not essential. However, our semi-rural location within easy reach of Guildford town centre is part of Barnett Hill's appeal which I believe is a small price to pay for the peace and tranquility we are able to offer.

We look forward to hopefully being of service to you again in the future when you are next visiting the Guildford area.
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We had our reception at Barnett Hill and the whole process right from our first meeting with Jasmine to the actual day was totally fantastic. Having Jasmine there helping with the planning was such a bonus so the big day came and we were very chilled and everything went to plan. I would totally recommed the exclusive use for weddings as this meant we could spill out into all the rooms and not worry when the party ended at 2am!
The food was top-notch and Maryann was a superb host. All in all we had the best day ever and this was largely thanks to the wonderful staff and beautiful venue.I cannot rave about Barnett Hill enough! Many many thanks xx

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sarah,

Thank you so very much for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your exclusive use wedding at Barnett Hill on 23rd November. I am absolutely delighted that your special day was everything that you hoped it would be and more and that we were able to be a part of it and share in your celebrations.

On behalf of all the team at Barnett Hill I thank you for your very positive comments which are much appreciated and we hope that married life is treating you and Stephen well.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you both back in the future to celebrate the odd anniversary or two perhaps when you have my personal assurance that we will continue to do our utmost to ensure you are well looked after
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the night on a bed and breakfast basis for the first time in a couple of years.
Beautiful place, the building and the gardens.
Breakfast was very good and is buffet style. Disappointed there was no Black Pudding though !
All the staff I came across were all very friendly and helpful. Top class
The bedrooms was large, comfortable and warm. The bedroom was starting to look a bit tired now, but I see they are starting a refurbishment programme.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Abbey,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. It was great to welcome you back for the first time in a couple of years and very reassuring to note that, other than the absence of black pudding at breakfast time, everything else remains as good as you remembered Barnett Hill to be.

As with all old historic buildings maintenance and refurbishment are an on-going challenge and we continue to invest in the upkeep of the property as and when we can having this year created four new bedrooms on site in our Gardener's Cottage and currently being in the process of restoring the Pavillion on the Terrace.

Thank you for your recommendation to others which is greatly appreciated and we sincerely hope that you will not leave it so long next time before staying with us again when, if you contact me in advance I will make sure we have some black pudding available for you to enjoy!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wonersh
Guildford Harbour Hotel
Manor House Hotel & Spa
Manor House Hotel & Spa
#11 of 11 in Guildford
Angel Posting House and Livery

Been to Barnett Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!