“honeymoon stay on sunday 24th feb”
Review of Barnett Hill Hotel

Barnett Hill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wonersh
Reviewed February 25, 2013

my relatives got married so we booked a one night stay at this hotel looks great .a honeymoon stay arrived at 1.00pm so could use the jacuzzi not. been broke for three months and not going to be fixed any time soon hotel looks great and gardens but room 18 bedroom is ok apart from plaster falling down when you close curtains.bathroom is rubbish mould around bath come shower windows mould around frames single glazed scared to open them in case they fell out .evening meal had to be a la carte because not enough people in to have a cheaper three course meal charged for a tip without letting us know and on someone elses debit card at the tune of £70.95.lack of english spoke by staff tried to complain to no effect did not understand.breakfast not full english one small cup of coffee.lack of sleep because of noise and flashing lights glad to be home.best things about this hotel is the gardens look of hotel on the outside and main foyer .do not come here

Room Tip: do not bother coming here go to travelodge instead.
2  Thank Mark W
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor on behalf of your relatives who stayed at Barnett Hill recently. I was of course most concerned to note your comments and please accept my sincere apologies for any disappointment we may have caused you or your relatives since, it is never our intention to have guests leave Barnett Hill feeling anything other than completely satisfied.

It was unfortunate that when the booking was made, we were not advised of the fact that this was your relatives' Honeymoon and therefore a special occasion since, had we known this we would have been able to VIP their room on arrival.

With regard to all the other concerns you have raised, as you are aware these have already been responded to fully in separate correspondence between us and I am therefore very sorry if you remain dissatisfied with our response. Please be assured that we do take all forms of constructive feedback very seriously indeed as it is not in our interests to have unhappy guests hence, if there is anything further I can do to assist you please do not hesitate to contact me directly at Barnett Hill

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed for three nights and really enjoyed it. The staff were all very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. When we asked for a larger room after out first night we were provided with a better one straight away, they even moved our luggage for us. We ate in the hotel twice in the evening and found the food delicious and good value. Again the service was friendly and efficient. The breakfast was first rate too.
We will definitely visit the hotel again, hopefully with better weather to explore the delightful surroundings.

Room Tip: If staying in a courtyard room ask for as big a one as possible
1  Thank CharzieChania

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I was delighted to note that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that the service, food and hospitality you received met with your expectations. As mentioned in your review, I sincerely hope that you will find an opportunity to stay with us again in the future especially when the gardens and grounds are at their best, I would recommend either in late Spring or during the early Autumn.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Rooms - very good, nice comfortable bed, temperature was great, dressing gown and slippers provided, modern bathroom, freeview flatscreen TV, iron and free wifi. Room was slightly on the small side for a long stay but perfectly acceptable for up to three nights I would say.

Grounds - beautiful woodland, long drive, only criticism is I really struggled to park.

Staff - very friendly, couldn't do enough for you, I have a bad back and although there are no lifts in the hotel, when requested porter service was available for my (heavy) case!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a lower floor as there are no lifts
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I was delighted to note that you had an excellent stay with us and we are very grateful to you for your positive comments in respect of the service and hospitality you received. I'm sorry about the lack of a lift which I know can be a challenge at times but as you have pointed out, we are always ready and willing to assist any of our guests with their luggage should they require it as it helps to keep us all fit!!
Please accept my apologies for the fact that the car parks were very full at the time of your stay which is not usually the case and only occurs occasionally when we have a number of events taking place at the same time.
Once again thank you for your comments and I hope we may be of service to you again in the future when you are next in the area.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Me and my husband stayed here last night as part of a gift. The building itself is very grand with lovely grounds which are imacculate. The rooms are large but starting to look a little tired but the views are very impressive. We had an evening meal here and breakfast which could not be faulted in any way. What the place does lack unfortunatly is atmosphere but I think it would make an excellent venue for a function such as a wedding etc. The staff are very friendly but it did have a slight faulty towers feel about the place. I wont be rushing back but we did have a pleasant stay and I think the place does have the potential to be amazing although not there yet.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill at the weekend. I was pleased to note that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us but I am sorry if you felt there was a lack of atmosphere which may have been due in part to the fact that we were very quiet at the time of your stay.
I was delighted to hear that you could not fault the evening dining experience or breakfast in any way and that the service you received was friendly although I am not so sure that we aim to provide our guests with the 'Fawlty Towers' experience and if we failed to meet your expectations in some aspects of the service we provided I am very sorry.
Barnett Hill is first and foremost a residential conference and meetings venue and as you have correctly identified we are also a very popular venue for weddings and other private celebrations. However, we do try very hard to treat all our guests as individuals no matter what the purpose of their stay but I would agree with you that there is always room for improvement and it is through the constructive feedback received from our customers that we are able to continually build upon the service and hospitality we provide in the hope that in time Barnett Hill will realise its true potential as an 'amazing' property.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I had read very mixed reviews re this hotel, so booked with an open mind.
The approach through woodland to the main building is very impressive and the main building itself is an impressive site.
On checking in the staff were amenable, polite and friendly and I was directed to my room which was in the courtyard block (only these rooms available when booking) to find that I had to scale a long and winding circular staircase (not impressed with several bags) although there was a proper staircase later located.
On opening the room door my heart sank big time it was so small with a sort of double bed stuffed into a corner......the phrase 'swing a cat' jumped into mind, one would barely able to effect this move with a mouse!!!!!
There was wallpaper hanging on by it's teeth everywhere along with stains on the wall and filthy carpet. The one small window let a howling gale through.
The bathroom was probably larger than the bedroom and so badly needed updating with an ancient bath with a stained bottom enclosing the shower. I do like bathrooms that have the dispensing soap and conditioner things.
One thing that really annoyed me was the fact that there was only a ceiling light in the bedroom, no bed lamp, so it was dark or blaring light.
The bed was ancient and the mattress sank to one side giving the feeling of falling out, and the duvet was also probably ancient and of extremely poor quality as were the pillows.
But my one main real concern was the lack of security, there was no way to secure the door inside and the only lock was of the very old fashioned key type which I'm sure could easily be picked by a intent intruder.
It wasn't a fortune to stay there, but I spent 2 awful nights here thereafter checking into a new hotel in the centre which was superb for only 12 pounds more.

Room Tip: Not the courtyard.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill in one of our Courtyard bedrooms. I was of course very sorry that overall you were not impressed with the quality and comfort of your accommodation and I apologise for any disappointment you suffered as a result since it is never our intention to have guests leave Barnett Hill feeling anything other than completely satisfied.
We are currently in the process of upgrading several bedrooms within the Courtyard and as a result, your constructive feedback is both timely and very much appreciated as it will assist us in identifying those rooms which need to be prioritised within our refurbishment programme.
As with most historic character properties all of our rooms vary greatly in terms of their size and appointment and we have got some longer term plans in place to re-develop a number of the Courtyard bedrooms which will result in some of the smaller rooms being increased in size over time as well as re-fitting the bathrooms and upgrading the lighting and electrical services.
Please be assured that we regularly monitor the quality of our bedding and if there is a need to replace either beds, duvets or pillows this will be attended to as part of an on-going process of quality assurance.
I have noted your concerns regarding security of the bedroom door locks and can assure you that these are able to be double locked from the inside by pushing in and turning the nib in the centre of the bedroom door handle. I accept however that the door locks at the present time are the traditional style of key operated lock but this is in keeping with the historic nature of the property and we will consider upgrading these when major refurbishments are carried out in the future although we have never had any issues with security that I am aware of.
Once again thank you for your comments and I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet entirely with your expectations.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here recently for a fortnight. The staff were very helpful and polite. Hotel is set in a quite corner of the country site near Guildford with easy access (by car). It is definitely not a standard "Business-type" hotel, but rather a very charming and pleasant character Hotel that provided an enjoyable stay. Would go again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent extended stay with us at Barnett Hill. I was delighted to note your appreciation of the character and charm of the property and that we were able to provide you with the friendly and responsive level of service and hospitality you had expected. We are always very grateful to hear when we have met the expectations of our guests and your kind comments are very much appreciated. Hopefully we will be able to be of service to you again in the future when you are next in the area.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

On arrival I was given a double room as was my friend as there were no twin rooms left. There was a wedding party at the same time. We were offered the rooms at the rate we would have paid if sharing a room. I have to agree with another commentator that if I was there with my husband the double bed was small and up against the wall (possibly to give the appearance of a bigger room!)
I enjoyed the meal although having chosen the fish as a main course, this was from a set menu for Christmas, it was a small portion. I was not perturbed as I thought I could augment it with the vegetables. The green vegetables were delicious but the dish was very small to serve 10 people on the table. It was the same on our other 4 tables. I asked for some but they never appeared! It was a pity as this would have made all the difference to the enjoyment of the meal.
When the coffee appeared I was lucky as I was the only person to be served on my table. The others asked for some and had to wait ages! The petit- fours were VERY petit and exactly 10.
The breakfast was good although I did not manage the toaster very well as it seemed to produce very lightly browned bread! The home made yoghurt was a nice touch.
The building and the grounds looked interesting but unfortunately as it was pouring with rain we could not explore outside.
I had my suitcase on the floor to unpack as I did not want to put it on the white duvet cover so a' folding table' would have been ideal!
The staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your stay at Barnett Hill whilst attending a Christmas party. I was pleased to note that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and your constructive feedback regarding certain elements of our Christmas menu and the service you received is greatly appreciated and will be very useful in helping us to identify areas for improvement and development with our 2013 Christmas programme . We look forward to hopefully seeing you again next Christmas if not sooner and thank you once again for your comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wonersh
3 mi away
#1 of 2 in Worplesdon
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 3 in Egham

Been to Barnett Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!