“Very pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #1 of 1 Sandon B&B and Inns
Glasgow
“Very pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

I was staying here for just one night on business. I arrived just before 8pm. The restaurant was full of Christmas revellers but a waitress saw me as soon as I walked in and came straight over. Booked me in with minimum fuss (and a huge smile) and found me a table as soon as I had been up to my room to drop my case. The food was fabulous. I had braised beef and it was like fillet steak, so tender. Loads of veg. The room was lovely. Loads of electrical sockets to plug chargers, hair dryer in without having to unplug everything else! There was a mirror and plug point at the dressing table and a full length mirror as well. I don't like baths, much prefer showers and this one was great. Walk-in with fantastic pressure. No clambering into the bath! Huge fluffy towels. Breakfast was freshly made to order, again by smiling staff. I'd definitely come back. Much better than soulless hotels.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank SusiBGlasgow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

We were at Stafford County Show ground after Show. Rang on Saturday afternoon to book for that night, they explained they were full but could fit us in the bar early evening. We had a very pleasant meal with attentive staff. The menu is varied and some of us had difficulty in choosing, starters were superb, mains very good, to full for desert. We had a super night. Will most definitely be back when at the show ground next year, may even stay the night.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Visited with a party of 11 for a family get together. The table was brilliant, in a wonderful quiet area. We all ate from the festive menu and the food was excellent. Generous portions, beautifully presented. Not a single criticism. We had 5 x 2 course meals and 6 x 3 course meals with coffee and mince pies included and all for under £190!!
Absolutely brilliant. Wonderful service, brilliant staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JCo60
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Enjoyed a brilliant Christmas meal here last a couple of days ago. Very good food, very good beer and excellent service. Could not fault it. Would recommend this place for a party, a meal or a quiet drink

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RobboStaffs21
Portree
Reviewed December 15, 2013

in Britain we put up with poor customer service a lot of the time. At the D&D the staff are the yardstick that other establishments should use to judge themselves by. All staff appear smiling, friendly (but not familiar) and helpful. The staff and management should pat themselves on the back, but not become complacent.

Foodwise, there is a good selection which is presented well, of a good portion size and is tasty. As a veggie there is a choice and it seems to change frequently. A minor criticism to the chef is to consider being a head of the rest and stay clear of the salad or pasta options for veggies. In the past I have had good spicy veggie meals at the D&D and for me this is preferential. But you are never going to please all us fussy veggies as we all choose to be for different reasons!

Another plus is that it has a selection of ale. In general it has the feel of a traditional well run pub and not the soul-less plastic national chains we have come to expect and sadly accept.

Transport could be an issue. This is not in Stafford town but in the nearby village of Sandon. So, your own transport and a nominated driver is needed, who wont fall asleep in front of the open fire. One of my complaints is that I live 500 miles away!!!

I've had the pleasure of eating here three times in 2013 and hope to visit again the next time I am in the vicinity. On the star rating it probably is nearer five than four, but my sister in law was not as keen as me, she is fickle. If in doubt try it yourself!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Had a fantastic stay in this B&B/Pub.

Service was brilliant and the staff could not do more for us.

Stayed in the disabled room which is located in an 'old stable' type building. It's rare that we find a place that fully accommodates for the disabled. Huge room, huge bathroom with full disabled facilities (lowered sink/wet room type shower).

We came for a friends wedding do at Weston Hall which is about 5 miles around the corner.

Would highly recommend. Give it a try! :D

Stayed December 2013
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Went for our christmas meal here last night. Received excellent service, staff so helpful and friendly and food superb.
Highly recommend this place for a quiet drink or meal, or even a christmas party. :-)

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandon
The Moat House
Weston Hall
Weston Hall
#1 of 11 in Stafford
Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13

Been to The Dog and Doublet Inn Sandon? Share your experiences!