“Good Sunday Lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Sandon B&B and Inns
London
“Good Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

It was my first visit to the Dog & Doublet last week and enjoyed my Sunday lunch. The service was courteous and attentive and the room nicely laid out. The price/quality of the food was almost spot on, with everything nicely cooked and portions generous, and some good wine choices at reasonable prices.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have eaten here a few times now and have reached the point where I believe I can get better value and nicer surroundings for this price or even less. Firstly the dining room is very noisy, the top end furthest from the entrance is so noisy I asked to be moved to another area on our first visit. Since then I have always asked for a table nearer the entrance, but it's still pretty noisy, not a nice ambience. The service I have recieved is friendly but not all that attentive, a bit of a training issue I think. I have had a different dish each time I have been to the D & D and the food is good quality and sensibly priced, however the menu is very restricted. Maybe thats one of the ways they keep the prices down ? . We eat out quite often and the Stafford area is well served with decent eateries so the D & D need to up their game to remain competitive. I don't think I will be returning any time soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank bazcalUk
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We decided to take our parents on the Saturday night as a special treat for Mother's Day as we enjoyed the experience prior to Christmas. Five of us in the party. Reservation made weeks in advance. We arrived 40mins early to have a drink prior - so far so good. We ordered 4 salmon and one chicken pie with waitress one ( only two salmon available) two chose fish pie as an alternative waitress one went to check availability. Waitress two came to tell us our table was ready, but we hadn't finished ordering. Waitress two confirmed there was no fish pie. What about gammon???.
No gammon either... Two salmons (if they are still there) and three chicken pies. Unbelievable considering it was potentially one of the busiest weekend. We had two lots of cold potatoes , replacements were also cold. The hot food was lovely however , as were the desserts although it did take awhile to clear the plates away. After speaking to the manager to air our dissatisfaction she was very apologetic and stated they had been exceptionally busy and They did knock 30% off the bill which was a decent gesture but it was not the sweetener to remove the bitter memory of what should have been a special evening with our elderly parents for Mother's Day - lets hope it is not the last one together. It won't be top of the list on the next time we dine out.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mrsjdarcy M
ChrisLMilwich, Owner at The Dog and Doublet Inn Sandon, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your disappointing visit to the Dog and Doublet on the 9th March.

As you can see from my response to the post below we were extremely busy on that Saturday far beyond our expectations even with it being Mothers Day weekend. This does not normally happen and I am afraid that the busy lunchtime and day bookings left us short on supplies for the evening session.

I am sorry if this spoilt your visit and do hope this does not deter you from dining with us again in the near future.

Stafford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

My family and I have just returned form an early evening meal and were disappointed by the lack of choice for my wife and myself who have to have gluten free meals. We had checked on the website a few days earlier and had noticed that there were two or three main meal choices.On arrival we found that the only gluten free meal was gammon and egg. The other family members were also disappointed to be told on arrival that the blade of beef , and also the sausages were off the menu - and it was only 6pm ! We had no choice but to order the gammon , which must have been the last of the stock , as we heard diners who arrived after us being told that the gammon was also off the menu. We had heard good reports of this establishment but left disappointed. We had eaten at the other Lewis partnership premises , the Swan in Stafford , and had found a much larger choice of gluten free dishes there.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
ChrisLMilwich, Owner at The Dog and Doublet Inn Sandon, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your visit on Saturday evening.

We are disappointed that we ran out of certain dishes, this is not a usual occurrence, we had planned to be busy on Mothering Sunday weekend however we were far busier than expected and unfortunately as everything is brought in fresh on a daily basis once stock items are used we have no alternative but to take them off the menu.

Staffs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Very nice building and ambience, and food looks good, but fails to really deliver. The starter (scallops and black pudding) was fine...apart from overcooked black pudding and a quince jelly that was much too sweet and in no way complimented the dish. The main course of roast pork was very nice (the pork crackling was exceptionally good - best part of the meal), but we were given a measly portion of vegetables between 4. Having asked for more later in the meal, these were then taken away before we had actually finished our meal - I now feel ashamed of my preemptory behaviour, as I genuinely had no idea food rationing was still in force in this part of the country. Also when I order a glass of wine to have with my meal I generally like to have it with the meal rather than for pudding - I know I'm fussy, but this is just my preference. Pretty average experience all in all

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ram1791
ChrisLMilwich, Owner at The Dog and Doublet Inn Sandon, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent dining experience at The Dog and Doublet on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal with us. It seems that there were some training issues with your wine service and issues with the quality of the food which I will address with my Operations Manager and Head Chef.

Thank you for your comments.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We had prebooked afternoon tea here on Sunday with a note saying there would be 2 vegetarians in the party. Upon arrival we were shown to a standard table in the restaurant laid out for Sunday dinner with Sunday dinner menus even though we'd requested to sit in the snug.
The waitress was not welcoming - a smile wouldn't have gone a miss and asked us did we just want a standard afternoon tea. No smile, no nicities and no info on what other choices apart from the standard afternoon tea were, and in general she made us feel like we were a problem for being there.
Tea wa brought out first of all - two pots between five of us with tea bags not loose leaf. We had to ask a couple of times for hot water and extra tea.
The food was brought out about ten minutes later - two cake stands between five of us and the vegetarian stand had been forgotten. The waiter we spoke to was very apologetic and quickly brought us out a plate of veggie sandwiches.
One of the members of our party has been the the d&d for afternoon tea several times previously and mentioned that there is usually a lot more.
The actual selection of food was nice and everything was tasty but it just didn't feel special as afternoon tea should. I was expecting a choice of teas, individual scones with cream and jam etc although this was perhaps reflected in the price at less than £10 a head.
I know it was a Sunday but even if it's busy staff should always have time to smile and be polite to customers.
Generally I really rate the LP but this I am disappointed to say was a bit of a let down.

• Stayed March 2013
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Yildirim23
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent Afternoon Tea experience.

It would appear that on this occasion our usual standard of service was not delivered. I have spoken to my staff about the events of Sunday afternoon and can only apologise for the service you received.

I will address this situation and hope that this has not deterred you from returning for another Afternoon Tea. As you are a regular customer of the Lewis Partnership you are aware that this is not what we normally deliver. I do hope you return so that we can redeem your faith in our product and service.

Staffs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is our relaxation hote/pub we escape to for a chillout day. We popped in at the weekend for a quick coffee break and ended up staying for two and could barely tear ourselves away we were so chilled. We've booked for Mother's Day Lunch in a couple of weeks time as we are sure Mom will love it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PoppyBilly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandon
Weston Hall
Stone House Hotel
Stone House Hotel
#2 of 5 in Stone
BEST WESTERN Stafford M6/J14 Tillington Hall Hotel

Been to The Dog and Doublet Inn Sandon? Share your experiences!