“The Best for 40 Years”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Southern Illinois
“The Best for 40 Years”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I had my first meal at Wally's about 40 years ago when I was in college and dating my future wife. Wally's was a "must have" every time we I was in the Park Ridge area. I remember once my father-in-law suggested that Thanksgiving would be a whole lot less work and more fun if we just bought entrees at Wally's (none-the-less, we had turkey). Now 40 years later I live 300 miles away, but whenever I have to travel to Chicago I try to make a trip to Park Ridge for the best gyros in the world. This past weekend my wife and I celebrated her birthday with our 3 sons, their wives and our nine grandchildren in the Chicagoland area and, yes, we took the whole crowd to Wally's! Wally's is much more than the fabulous gyros where the pita bread is stuffed with the gyros meat, tomatos and onions. The Italian beef is awesome, the Greek potatoes are wonderful....heck, I've never had anything bad there. Because I get to go there so infrequently, I almost always go with the gyros--it is my personal favorite. The only rub is that there aren't free refills on drinks, but that's a small price to pay for a great food experience.

• Visited April 2012

“Good stop for burgers and fries on a Saturday night”
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My wife and I are in Chicago for the weekend and just wanted something quick and tasty this Saturday night (think burgers). Wally's was worth the stop. I had the 1/2lb Wally burger and the Mrs. had a double quarter, and we both had fries. We're both moderately burger picky and we both enjoyed. The fries were excellent. About $15 total! The atmosphere was a step up from fast food with heavy wooden benches and tables and large screen TVs at both ends. Other patrons were eating ribs, chicken and gyros and it all looked and smelled delicious. Way to go, Wally's!

• Visited March 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Great ribs and very friendly”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

!st time there. Was there on a Sunday night at 8pm, owner was still there. I asked what was good, I expected the usual answer, which was I recieved - "everything is good, all made fresh." I asked what was his best plate - he said the ribs. I took the suggestion and head them.
Came with a salad, fries and the full meaty slab. The flavor was great, great sauces, cooked perfect. Salad was good, fires done perfect.

There was about 8-10 other people in the restaurant. He knew a majority of the by first name. He asked about their kids, work etc. He spoke to me and seem very true when he spoke .

I will be back there when I am back in the area. Keep up the good work.

• Visited October 2011
Springfield, IL
“I want some Wally's.”
Reviewed January 31, 2010

For years, my family and I have been eating at Wally's whenever we find ourselves in the Chicagoland area. Wally's is smallish place that you could call fast food, though it feels wrong to do so. They serve all of your standard Chicago fare, as well as larger, more substantial meals, like chicken platters and such.
I am a gyro and Italian beef lover, and Wally's makes the best of both that I have ever had. Over the years, my family has told me how great all of the other food that Wally's serves is, but I will probably never find out for myself. I live too far from Wally's to pass on my favorites when I get a chance to eat there.
My only knocks are that Wally's is somewhat on the expensive side, though not bank-breaking, and the seating can be somewhat limited, though I've always found a table.
Over the years, I've introduced others to Wally's as well, and they've never been disappointed. As I am not the kind of person who keeps eating somewhere simply because I used to like it, I am happy to see that Wally's continues to thrive, and I hope it will be around and at the top of its game for years to come.

1 Thank atomzero
Park Ridge, IL
“Great Gyros and Rotisserie Chicken”
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Great Gyros and Rotisserie Chicken. Mainly a carry out and delivery fast food place. They do have a few booths for dining. Extensive fast food menu.