“Very relaxing, perfect location”
Review of Casa do Capitao

Casa do Capitao
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Inhambane Province
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed there a week and loved it. Inhanbane is a perfect city to be based in to visit the area ( Barra, Tofo) if you do not want to be stuck on a beach. The location of the hotel is fantastic with all the rooms looking out on the lagoon and the sea. Sunrises and sunsets are amazing and I was never tired of watching the flamingos on the beach at low tide. Rooms are large, very modern , beds are wide and very good. Staff is very nice and helpful , the whole hotel is extremely clean and the pool area is ...gorgeous. Wifi is free ( you get a new password every morning ) and the connection is very good in the rooms. The restaurant has a very nice view on the lagoon and the pool and food is very good. I enjoyed Inhanbane and it's atmosphere and found the hotel very confortable to relax .

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Londra_11

Reviewed May 26, 2014

This is a great little hotel in a fantastic location and with wonderful architecture (José Forjaz Architects).
The rooms are very beautiful, comfortable, clean and well decorated, with a nice balcony facing the bay. Waking up facing the beautiful bay is a great bonus!
The pool is fantastic, in a beautiful setting.
It is not definitely a 5 * hotel, but well rated as 4 *.
The only negative thing about the hotel is the price of the rooms, which is greatly inflated, but that is a problem of most of nice hotels in Mozambique nowadays.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the presidential suite is outstanding and worth the stay!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MarioForjazSecca
Reviewed May 24, 2014

I booked and paid for my stay 3 months through safarinow.com in advance but when I arrived they informed me that they gave my room away. We had been in contact just 2 weeks before as I required some information yet they failed to tell me that they were closing the hotel to a convention during the period I was stay.

When we arrived they told us we didn't have a reservation for the hotel. I then produced my reservation and confirmation from the hotel. They still didn't look bothered until I showed my receipt from safarinow which showed that I had already paid. I demanded a refund which they didn't want to give but finally conceded. I find this crazy as we weren't offered even a a drink to say sorry, just that theses things happen.

We asked if there was another hotel nearby and they pointed to the road and said there was one not too far. We arrived at night and had bags so din't want to walk in the dark to a hotel that was potentially full. We asked them to call, which they did and it was full. We asked them to take us to a hotel that they knew had space so they brought us to a very poor quality hotel for more or less the same price and no breakfast included $220US, I believe the man who took us there made a deal with the other hotel. We had no other choice but to stay.

Overbooking does happen and I understand that but to offer nothing at all as an apology is hard to take. Also to not let us know that it was closed for a convention when I was talking to the hotel 2 weeks before is difficult to understand.

To add insult, when I added a review to safarinow it was never posted yet all the excellent reviews I gave from the same trip were posted.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Frankie W
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Lured by the amazing pictures and the great reviews I was really happy to book this hotel as the last stop on our holiday.

I booked it for 11 nights (initially!), and had one of the suites.

Firstly "kerb appeal" is not good... Trip Advisor say it's a 4*, they rate themselves as 5*.
I'd say Trip advisor is closer - this is not a 5* establishment. The hotel looks quite dated from the road-side and resembles more like flats than a hotel.

However!, once through the doors, it's all bright, clean open and actually very smart.
Our room was massive, the bedroom/bathroom was really spacious, but then we also had 'next door', which housed our lounge and kitchen. Both rooms had balconies overlooking the bay and a very picturesque boat sat in the shallows.
Waking up to that view was amazing.

We had a couple of 'quality' issues in the room.... the toilet leaked, when we were told it was fixed they actually meant they mopped up the water, as it leaked again, and again.
The balcony doors did not lock (actually did not close) in the lounge, meaning they were actually unlocked and open during our whole stay, and the deadlock on the main door(s) do not work - and I'll come back to that later.

Breakfast was 'fine', 4 cooked items - sausages, bacon, eggs and gizzards. Various bread items, some cereal and yoghurts. So we didn't really have an issue with anything.

Service we had a real mixed bag, if we were the only people there (which was often - the hotel was very quiet when we went), then we had a waitress stood by us all of the time, but the second someone else turn up, (who, more often than not was an business person), we lost our waitress to them... permanently!.
It became a running joke with us that we could count to 5 when someone else turned up before our service levels dropped to non-existent.
One table of 4 had 2 waitresses just stood there next to them, and we had no-one, to the point where we gave up.
What seemed also very clear is that the Africans seemed to get a lot more service attention than us two... this was purely an observation, but one which became embarrassingly obvious after a few occasions.

The other thing to note is that you cannot be in a rush for your drinks or your food, we often had a 20 minute wait for drinks, and food could easily be anything up to an hour before your starter arrived.

BUT!!, when the food did turn up, it was really very good.... compliments to the chef, the food was very nice indeed, which meant that despite the wait, we ate at the hotel every night.

Now, the key point here is that this was our relaxing part of the holiday, and you really can't do that... the Pool is amazing, very very clean, big and with outstanding views across the bay.
But there is no beach 'nearby' and no other activities.

We asked at reception for activities:
"Head into town"
We asked at reception for money changing:
"Head into town"
We asked at reception to hire us a taxi:
"Head into town".

Needless to say, you need to go into town! It is a lovely little town which we enjoyed walking around, we even saw some military training going on in the main square, but I was told off as I had my camera out... it is (apparently) "forbidden" to take photos of their military... not sure I believe them, but not going to argue with 100+ army guys with guns!

Now quite seriously back to the deadlocks on the doors.
We had come back to the room to escape the midday sun... I deadlocked the door from inside and went to sit out on the balcony.
I heard a knock on the door, no sooner than I had stood up (literally) as the handle went down, the deadlock 'unlocked' and the door opened.
A member of staff came in and I think was rather startled that someone was in the room... he was holding a can of Fanta, he said to me "oh, um, I need to change this Fanta". I followed him into the kitchen, where he opened our fridge, swapped it over and left.
I was pretty shocked by this, a) because the deadlock did not work! and b) because housekeeping had already been and restocked the fridge.

I did express my concerns to the management who said that "maybe" he was swapping over because the old can had expired, but honestly, I'm not taking that excuse (the new can expired in a month!).
The head maintenance chap was also there who clearly did not believe me about the locks, so I had to take him back to the room to show him.

It left me feeling rather uneasy about the place, and combined with the lack of activities we decided to move out to a different hotel after 4 nights.

There is clearly some work to do on the service and general maintenance of this hotel.
If I was staying in a corporate capacity, great, but I think I messed up booking this as our holiday hotel. If nothing else, it was a great stop in the town, and of course the pool is amazing and the food is good.

Oh, and they need to fix their website, it's been 'down' for months and has now vanished completely!!!

Room Tip: The suites are great with loads of space, but avoid our room.. I can't remember the number at th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RacingSnake_uk
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We didn't actually stay here but we were dropped off by our Dhow crew and easily welcomed onto the premises on the night they were having a complimentary wine tasting that included hors d'oeurves to die for! They even provided us with live music and outdoor seating by candle light. I cannot say enough about this place, an accidental stop that proved serendipitous!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We were lucky to visit this beautiful, stylish hotel on the advice from the managers at Bara Beach club where we were staying. The view and decor is stunning and a pool you just want to dive into. We look forward to coming back and having cocktails and lunch around the pool

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My wife and i spent 3 nights at Casa do Capitao. Lovely, newly renovated hotel. Lovely rooms with a superb view of the lagoon. Friendly staff. We only had breakfast in the morning which was great with a good variety.
Hotel needs to offer transport to local beaches and interact with guests more in terms of "whats on offer in Inhambane", we had to discover for ourselves. Bar fridge in the room prices are over the top. Suggest keep drinks prices reasonable.

Room Tip: All rooms face onto the lagoon
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple