“Fine for the price”
Review of Red Carpet Inn

Red Carpet Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Palatine
Reviewed September 28, 2012

As another poster said, this hotel is somewhat difficult to find. When you exit the road, you see the Comfort Inn sign, but that is not the actual entrance. You have to make a sharp left onto the frontage road. The hotel itself was ok. Someone else reserved it for me, and it was fine for the price. The front desk staff was friendly both at checkin and checkout. The hallways did smell like smoke, though the room I had did not. The room was clean enough and the wireless internet worked fine. It was further away from my destination than I would have chosen, though.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed July 2, 2012

This location is a little challenging to get to but your GPS or Map program on your phone will get you there. There is an adjacent strip mall with a bar, 24 hour grocery, liquor store and Gyro place. They store had a reasonably priced selection of Polish and a few craft beers. The hotel looks okay when you arrive. When you get to the entrance you get the nicotine smell and then it drops away as you enter. The front desk person, Dan, was very abrupt. It seemed like asking him a question was an irritation and you were supposed to know where the elevator was, etc. I noticed the safe charge and asked for it to be removed, he grunted and said it was off. The next morning V. Patel said he would remove the safe charge. Instead I had two room charges blocking my credit card for the next week.

You pass a murky pool on the way to the elevator. I did not have plans to use it, but the color would have discouraged me anyway. When you enter the elevator you feel like you have been transported back to a 1970's bingo parlor where they scrape the hardened smoke and nicotine off the ceiling and walls. The hall to the room was just as bad. When I got to the room it actually smelled clean and did not have the smoke smell.

The room was generally clean and comfortable. I did get a reasonable nights sleep and the bed was firm with acceptable pillows. The drawback to the room was the water. I wanted to brush my teeth and the water flow from the faucet was so slow that it just ran back against the bottom of the faucet and sink. I kept jiggling the faucet knob and was able to get warm water that would at least hit the toothbrush.

The breakfast was minimal and there were no tongs or other kitchen items to remove items. Everyone was using their hands.

The person in the morning V. Patel was just as disquieting as the front desk person the night before. He did not seem to believe that I had requested, and been told, that the charges would be removed for the safe. I am aware that it is only a $1-2 charge, but it is my money. I don't like the safe charges because I never use them. If you say you are taking them off, take them off. I am now down to one charge on my credit card, it still includes the safe charge and I did get my Choice points.

I will not stay here based on the surliness of the night and day front desk people, the smoke-smell saturated elevator and halls and the lack of proper utensils for food selection.

Room Tip: If you stay on the first floor you don't need to use the smoke smelling elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MichaelinNH
Reviewed June 6, 2012

First of all, this hotel is hard to get to - it is located near major interstates but it takes a long time to figure out the back roads access roads to the hotel. If you make one wrong turn it will take you 10-15 mins to get back because of roads/traffic.

I stayed here one night and would not come back. The parking lot is located right next to a 24-hour liquor store, other not-so-good looking businesses, and a pub. The people from the pub make the hotel parking lot their home and they are all over. Also, a lot of people coming through the hotel lobby that look like they are not staying at hotel. I saw a cop patrolling the hallway once.

On the better note, rooms were nice and clean and the breakfast was good.

The pool smelled funny and had grime on the sides.

When we went to our car in the morning their were stratches on it - I was very mad about that.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SWMN87
Reviewed July 10, 2007

One of the worst Comfort Inns that I've stayed in.

I had reserved a smoking room with a king size bed. When I got there the woman told me that they were out of king size smoking rooms. She said she would give me a room with two double size beds and wouldn't charge me any extra. How generous! BTW, what's the point of having a reservation system if it doesn't actually reserve a room for you?

I took the room, then noticed a sign that they charge a fee for the safe in your room. I asked the woman to remove the charge for the safe, to which she said "no problem".

When I got to the room I got my laptop out to find somewhere to eat. The wireless internet did not work. I called the front desk and the woman told me that another guest had just called her and told her that the internet worked fine. Sounds fishy, as I don't normally call the front desk to let them know the internet IS working. Anyways, the woman told me that she couldn't do anything about it. I figured I'd make the best of it and consider it a night off from working.

The room was old looking and smelled funny.

In the morning I got up and turned on the shower. The water was scolding hot. No matter how I adjusted the faucet the water was scolding hot. I finally got some normal temperature water when I turned it down to a dribble. It took me 20 minutes to shower using this dribble of water (it normally takes me less than 10 minutes).

I finally got out of the shower, took out my clothes to iron. NO IRON OR IRONING BOARD IN THE ROOM!!!!!. I called the front desk and the clerk said that they do not offer irons. Funny, the website says they do. I have never been to a hotel that doesn't have an iron in the room. I steamed my clothes in bathroom using the scolding hot shower and got them looking sort of presentable.

I left the room and went down to check out. When the receipt came out for me to sign I looked it over and noticed that there was a charge on there for the safe (the optional charge I had asked them to remove). It took another 15 minutes for the clerk to remove the charge (she had already charged it to my credit card).

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank MarkInCT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palatine
Days Inn & Suites Arlington Heights
Days Inn & Suites Arlington Heig...
#3 of 10 in Arlington Heights
Courtyard Chicago Arlington Heights/North
Courtyard Chicago Arlington Heig...
#4 of 10 in Arlington Heights
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Rolling Meadows
Extended Stay America - Chicago ...
#2 of 4 in Rolling Meadows
Red Roof Inn Chicago - O'Hare Airport
Red Roof Inn Chicago - O'Hare Ai...
#6 of 10 in Arlington Heights
Wyndham Garden Schaumburg Chicago Northwest
Holiday Inn Chicago - Mt Prospect

Been to Red Carpet Inn? Share your experiences!