“Functional Hotel - a bit antiquated”

Holiday Inn Express Chicago Palatine
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Palatine
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 3 days in September. The rooms are big but hardly any amenities in the room. No electric, kettle, refrigerator, microwaves etc. Breakfast is ok but one has to eat on disposable plates with plastic crockeries. The biggest problem is that there is no food available in the hotel nor is there a restaturant nearby. However, the receptionist can order food from a chinese restaurant. When you land up at the hotel after a long journey the last thing one wants to do is to wait for food to arrive so I went to sleep hungry.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Palatine, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Sheilasarkar,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. I'm sorry you were not satisfied with the room amenities. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken.

Janice A

Reviewed September 11, 2013

A member of our family participated in an event in one of the hotels ballrooms. So, we went along to do some sightseeing.

This hotel is very nice. It is located just west of the Route 53 Expressway, in the NW suburbs, The rooms were very well laid out and the bed very comfy. Check in was a breeze and the lady at the desk was super helpful. I have never stayed in a hotel this quiet. I know that there was lots of foot traffic outside our door but we nary heard a peep! The TV kept pixelating and losing signal, every 3-5 minutes. A bit frustating!

The breakfast was a bit hit or miss as the first morning was wonderful and apparently they changed it up a bit the next morning and the options were not as good. But, hey, it ois a free breakfast, right? The attendent worked like crazy to keep everything going and she was very accomodating.

The Hotel does not have its own pool but the attached "World Gym" does. Guests are free to use the Gym but the oddest of things - they close at 9 PM on Saturday! What?!

All in all, we had a great stay and the hotel has little to do to be world class!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
HIE-PAL-MGT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Palatine, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

To Doodle1011,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Palatine and taking the time to write your review. I am happy to see you felt the hotel overall was nice, quiet, comfortable, and your interactions with the staff was pleasant. I will check with our maintenance staff to see about the cable signal, as we have new LED HD flat screen sets in all rooms with HD programming. As you mentioned, we are located directly off route 53 and our hotel is near Woodfield, Arlington Park, and Deer Park. Our complimentary daily hot breakfast should always be well stocked with multiple options including eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, biscuits with gravy, warm signature cinnamon rolls as well as fruit, yogurt, and cereal.

Thank you.
Jim Anderson

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed here for a basketball tournament from 8/2-8/4. I have only positive remarks to day about the staff and property!

At check-in, we were greeted by Claudia, who was such a pleasure! She was happy to have a crib brought up to our room, and wasn't bothered that we would also need extra towels (since there were x4 of us). Even the housekeeping man who brought both items up, was so pleasant! He clearly was overworked, and never accepted a tip from me, although I wish he would have!

We had king suite, which had separate living/sleeping areas, for a very reasonable daily rate! It had a refrigerator & microwave, which we needed for our x21 month old. The room was exactly as described. The pull-out bed still needed linens, but no biggie--those were also brought upon request. And the room was clean!! It is apparent that the housekeepers actually vacuum, clean countertops, toilets/floors, linens were fresh, etc. I've stayed in many hotels where it's a skimpy job.

The breakfast is also amazing. It was obviously a very busy weekend, but even running around with a toddler was made easy to manage. The selection of food was great for all ages/diets, and they replenished items promptly, as they ran out.

And when I couldn't sleep at night, (due to my fiance's snoring), I had to make a trip to the truck, and even the night security man was pleasant to talk to!

I can't mention enough how every single staff member I encountered was so willing to help, at any time, on any shift, in any department--unheard of these days! Thank you for giving us one less stress!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 9, 2013

You can book this hotel online at the Holiday Inn site with "Points and Cash" for only $40 with 5,000 points - a great bargain! The rooms are nice, quiet with HD tv. The bathrooms are a little small but OK. No fridges or microwaves. Breakfast is pretty good too.

Room Tip: 6th floor was completely quiet
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
HIE-PAL-MGT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Palatine, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

To ypsi-slim,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to the Palatine/Arlington Heights/Buffalo Grove area. We do feel we offer a great value to our guests whether it is using you IHG Reward points or just booking our hotel directly online at www.hiexpress.com/chi-palatine. We do have all brand new LED HD televisions and HD programing which offers guests and excellent list of viewing choices. Our hotel does have rooms that have refrigerators and microwaves; they are in our King Executive rooms and our Suites. We also will bring those to other rooms when available. We look forward to seeing you again during your next trip to the area, and when you do return please ask us about all of the great deals we have with our local restaurant partners such as Biaggi’s, Alley 64, Pizza Bella, and many others.

Thank you.
Jim Anderson

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed for 4 days to visit my college girlfriend from there. Two of my teenagers left their phone chargers on the wall. Mind you, they have two different phones-iphone 4S and 5. When we came back to our room, both of them were missing. Luckily, my phone charger was in my suitcase. I hate to think they were stolen but when I reported them missing to the front desk, they said to check everyday since it may show up in the laundry room. Well, we are home already and we still never got them back. Such an inconvenience! This is certainly an item you would never miss in your travels or misplace!
On another note, the breakfast was awesome! Rooms were clean but after the incident we put a sign to not clean it after all. Store your valuables in the safe and keep your phone chargers out of sight and in your suitcases!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Palatine, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Nersa L,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Palatine.

Ferdinand G.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

The 2 stars is because of the kind people there but otherwise the hotel is not good at all.
I booked a room there, and they said that they have shuttle service during my stay and when I went to stay there, there was no shuttle service.

The room itself was in a livable condition and nothing amazing. But then the price was not so much either.

The breakfast in the morning was ok, but can be improved.

Overall, I was disappointed, because of the shuttle service.

Room Tip: Chose a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Palatine, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear rachit389,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff. Please accept our sincerest apology for the misinformation you had with our Shuttle service and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. We're also sorry our breakfast selections was less than satisfactory. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My flight from ORD was delayed and I had to wait for the next day flight. UA staff gave me a discount coupon for the hotel booking and Holiday Inn express was an obvious choice. The hotel was however quite far from the O'hare airport but the stay was comfortable for an overnight stay. The hotel had an express check in and within minutes I headed towards my room. Basic amenities were complete and the staff was very helpful. The hotel did not have a restaurant of its own but there is enough to order from nearby places. In 80 USD it was the best I could have thought of.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palatine
Courtyard Chicago Arlington Heights/North
Courtyard Chicago Arlington Heig...
#7 of 10 in Arlington Heights
7 mi away
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago - Schaumburg
Holiday Inn Express Chicago NW - Arlington Heights
Holiday Inn Express Chicago NW -...
#4 of 10 in Arlington Heights
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago Deer Park
Red Carpet Inn
Red Carpet Inn
#2 of 3 in Palatine
Days Inn & Suites Arlington Heights
Days Inn & Suites Arlington Heig...
#3 of 10 in Arlington Heights

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chicago Palatine? Share your experiences!