“USED GROUPON, DISAPPOINTED. Out of signature food items and beer selections.”
Review of Bauer's Brauhaus - CLOSED

Bauer's Brauhaus
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“USED GROUPON, DISAPPOINTED. Out of signature food items and beer selections.”
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I purchased a groupon a while back for Bauer's Brauhaus good for four flights of beer and four appetizers. When we went, they were out of their 2 signatures food items, jumbo homemade german pretzel and cheese curds. There were also out of German potato salad, their signature side dish. They were also out of over half of their beer selections. The excuse given by the waitress was that they were too overwhelmed by all of the people using the groupon, however, when we were their for dinner on Monday, it was near empty. I also find it interesting that they no longer have a website. The food we had was pretty good and seemed fresh made but service was extremely slow considering the restaurant was dead (2.5 hours for 4 beer flights, 4 apps, 2 sandwiches. How does a German restaurant run out of German potato salad? My guess is this place wil be out of business soon.

• Visited February 2012

West Lafayette, IN
“Amazing beer”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I'm no expert, but I was very impressed with the beer selection - some of the best beer I've ever had. You may want to try one of the beer flights so that you can try the many varieties of German beer. Even my dad, who is a bit of a beer snob was impressed.

The food was good as well, although I am not very familiar with authentic German food. If nothing else go for a giant pretzel and great beer.

Visited September 2011
Palatine, Illinois
“A little slice of Germany in the middle of Palatine”
Reviewed November 23, 2011

While it's not a complete substitute for a trip to Bavaria, it's the closest thing we've got in Palatine. The food may not be completely authentic, but it's sure close enough to count. We're stuck in a schnitzel rut! The beer selection, on the other hand, is fantastic. And you can imagine how full they were during Octoberfest. I'm sorry they had to drop the lunch service.

• Visited October 2011