“Love it BUT”

Agio Italian Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Agio Italian Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 151 Restaurants in Palatine
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Constantly great. Welcome smiles always predicts a wonderful evening. Service proves you can be efficient and friendly. There is evident teamwork. Ambience superb and the new patio will be a winner. Agio has an above average wine list with some surprise bargains.
My porkchop was slightly over cooked yet tasty. My wife's salmon was perfect.
Now for the BUT: The menu is very boring. Needs more variety. There are specials but seldom challenge the talented chef. Bread at a restaurant is a tell. For a superior dining experience the bread here is below average.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

My wife and I first happened on this fine little restaurant last August during a visit to the NW suburbs. We returned yesterday because of that first visit and were very pleased to find it even more busy. As before, the ambience, food and service were great and the value for the dollar was very good in our view. If you're looking for a fine little Italian restaurant, check this one out .

Reviewed March 28, 2012

I went there last weekend and had great wine, great food, and great service. The place is clean and decorated very nice, perfect for a date night or a group of people!

Reviewed February 14, 2012

For Valentine's Day, they had a 4 course meal special. There were 2-4 choices for each course. My husband and I picked the same appetizer, a seafood crepe. It was delicious and the seafood was very fresh. For the next course, my husband got the shrimp bisque, which he loved. I picked the caesar salad and was unimpressed. It was crisp, but had very little flavor. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. Again, we both picked the same entree, surf and turf. This was a combination of scallops on a bed of couscous and a filet on a bed of homemade mashed potatoes. OMG!! The scallops were huge, approx. 2 inches, yet they were so tender. They were extremely fresh and delicious. The filet was probably the best I have ever had. It was so melt-in-your-mouth tender that I told the waitress it should be called beef cotton candy. For dessert I had these little pastries with pistachio gelato in the middle. I can't remember the name of them but they were quite delicious. The gelato was very creamy and flavorful. It was a nice ending to an amazing meal. The 4 course special was a GREAT value.

So, the food was fantastic and that alone would get an Excellent rating. The service was good, not great. The bus boy was rather slow to remove empty dishes. In fact, he never took our dirty appetizer dishes so when the waitress brought the soup and salad, she had to do a bit of juggling. A couple times our ice tea glasses were empty for a while before the waitress noticed and refilled them. The service was good, not very good.

The restaurant is small and there were a few medium size groups of people. For that reason, it was extremely loud in the room. That being said, we were able to have a conversation, there is just a lot of background noise. The atmosphere is enjoyable. The staff are very nice. We will definitely go back to Agio.

Reviewed December 28, 2011

Great food, my wife and I go all the time. We are Italian and think this is the best restaurant in Palatine. Also like the atmosphere.

1  Thank MikeTambo