“Loved the hosts”

Fox River Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 7, 2006

What a joy. Maria and Bobby Jo are the odd couple of hosts, but the atmosphere they provided was just the ticket. Clean rooms, beautiful claw-foot tub, and an amazing breakfast made this visit very enjoyable. Plenty to do in the area, with Starved rock, wine tasting in Utica, and a canoe trip right down the block. Interesting history, too. Ask about the old brick building and the history lesson begins. Nuns, gangsters, mob connected mayors all come together at an old sulfor springs for a story you will not soon forget.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gofer4709

Reviewed September 4, 2006

I just got back from my first time staying out at The Fox River BNB. It was everything I expected and more. My hosts, Bobby Joe and Maria were more than gracious and occupied much of my time with enjoyable conversation. I am a musician, so Bobby Joe invited myself and another musician friend out to the BNB for the weekend to entertain the other guests. The house is beautiful and holds a lot of historical ties to Charles Lindburgh and Al Capone. We instantly felt at home. Another musician was playing for the dinner crowd and we got to try Bobby Joe's amazing BBQ pulled pork sandwiches. We were given the Texan room for the duration of our stay and everything was cozy and clean. The bathrooms were pristine and the bed was so comfortable. I had Maria's french toast loaf and bacon for breakfast- it was fantastic! Our hosts were always on hand if we needed something or if we had any questions. They have this really cool old organ in the main living room and I spent hours playing with it. The grounds were well-kept and Bobby Joe made sure that the campers had plenty of firewood. I cannot wait to come back to Fox River later on this fall with more of my friends. I'll see you guys soon~ Jennifer (Stoic's Handicap)

Stayed: September 2006
Reviewed September 3, 2006

I was invited as a musician to play a weekend at the Fox River Bed and Breakfast. Having never been to a BnB before (and certainly never having played one), I was blown away by the kindnesses offered me by Bobby Joe and Maria. They were friendly and attentive, and above all welcoming. They put us up in a great room, fed us, and helped us promote to all their guests. Even better, Bobby Joe helped me load my equipment back into the car at the end of the stay- that is DEFINITELY the first time a promoter ever did that.

But beyond my own personal experiences, which were overwhelmingly positive, I overheard people saying that they were having a wonderful time- whether they were eating some of the delicious barbeque, making a campfire, or meeting other campers.

Plus, it's just a gorgeous house in the middle of a gorgeous area. It's not so remote that you can't go out to lunch or go shopping if you want, and not close enough to anything to be bothered. I highly recommend this spot- to musicians, definitely, because of the great support- but also to vacationers of all kinds because of the stunning environs and excellent accommodations.

www.nickbognar.com

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
1  Thank nickbognar
Reviewed August 26, 2006

My wife and I had a few days off of work, and so I decided to surprise her with a little weekend trip. This bed and breakfast is really in a nice location if you want to get away from it all and just relax. There are two great state parks just 15 miles away that we hiked around and a nice bike trail through Ottawa. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the house was great. Lots of neat little history around this area too. From what Maria told us, Al Cappone used to hang out along the river behind the house and Charles Lindbergh once stayed the night in this house when he crashed his plane in the field. I thought that was interesting. One thing I must stress is how delicious the breakfast was. It was huge and the french toast was seriously incredible. Finally, the location of this place is perfect. Since it is only 80 miles from Chicago, it was quick and easy for us to head that direction for the rest of the weekend. So, I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice, relaxing, and secluded spot with lots of things to do around the area. Everything was great!

Reviewed August 22, 2006

I just returned from a weekend stay at the Fox River B & B. Upon arrival, Bobby Joe and Maria made sure my man and I had everything we needed in order to relax and have F-U-N. They are extremely accomodating and willing to do just about anything to make your stay just as you like it. They made a FABULOUS dinner for us! B-B-Q chicken, potato salad, pork, beans. Now, you might be thinking, "B-B-Q, so what?!" Well, this was THE BEST chicken I've EVER had. It is worth the stay just to EAT THEIR FOOD! Maria's french toast is out of this world, AND she tought me how to make it! Maria is devoted to making sure you have the breakfast you want. You're not just going to get coffee and a bagel, you'll get eggs, bacon, rolled oats, and the coffee is EXCELLENT! Maria and Bobby Joe have very entertaining personalities and are fun to be around. This is a great place to go if you are open-minded, laid back, have an appreciation for the country, and want to be somewhere where you can just be yourself. There is a very CUTE kitty that roams around outside, and I really wanted to take him home. Love the house and the property. Lots of activities to do in the area, but I really enjoyed just hanging out in the yard. I think it's a great place to bring a group of people, and I intend to do so. Thank-you so much Bobby Joe and Maria...we had a great time!

Reviewed August 22, 2006

The Fox River Bed and Breakfast will forever occupy a prominent and incomperable place in the memories of my travels. The proprietors, Bobby Joe and Maria, are truly good, interesting, warm, and unforgettable people. They are highly invested in making certain your time at the Fox River B&B is a blast -- and they were certainly successful in my case. This is a wonderful place to go for a fun, laid-back, and enjoyable time. Literally within minutes of arriving, we were sitting on the country porch relaxing and swapping life stories. If you are looking for an experience you won't soon forget, give the Fox River B & B a try!

Oh yeah, and the food absolutely ROCKS!!!!

Reviewed August 6, 2006

The fox river BnB is simply wonderful. The building is clean, comfortable, has an amazing decor, and is very spacious. The campsite is also awesome. You get more seclusion than a typical campground, but easy access to a great bathroom and shower.
What truly sets this establishment apart from others is the people. Bobby Joe and Maria are not only highly accomodating and friendly, but they love being there too. There relaxed and enjoyable attitude, and love of their home will make you want to stay forever.
I'm from St. Louis and drove the four hours because I was meeting friends from Chicago and Milwaukee, but now that I've found this gem, I'll happily take the trip for the quality of the stay, location regardless.
Aaron Vishy