“Watch the barges go through the locks!”

Illinois Waterway Visitor Center
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Ottawa
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This was one of our stops on during the Trolley tour as part of the Starved Rock Fall Colors weekend. We were lucky enough to arrive in time to see a barges pass through the lock. I had no concept of how this operation worked until I was there to see it for myself. It was an awesome experience and I would go again in January to watch the eagles.

2  Thank Theresa T
There are newer reviews for Illinois Waterway Visitor Center

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I go here to sit and relax and watch nature, good way to view the birds by the locks and fish in the water. Pelicans can be seen here. If a barge is coming through its a good way to see how the locks work. Inside you can choose to read the history you would like and learn as you like. worth a short visit just to see, and its free to see.

1  Thank Laura P
Reviewed September 28, 2013

It is interesting to see a ship go through a lock if you get there at a time when a boat is going through it. However, the rangers on duty had little to say, were not motivated to tell interesting stories, or to relate any history. They really need to be replaced with better, more interesting rangers.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Very interesting, great place to watch eagles in january. Bring your binoculars and camera. Can watch inside or out on the deck.

Neat to watch the barges in and out of the locks, too.

2  Thank Helen U
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I tried to go today but it was closed due to flooding. So I would recommend calling ahead. Even though we didn't get to see the museum, the view of Starved Rock from the other side of the river is a good one.