“Clean and quiet place to spend a night, if price is right”

Hampton Inn Ottawa Starved Rock Area
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Ottawa
Chicago, Illinois
“Clean and quiet place to spend a night, if price is right”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Spent the night on Easter Eve. Paid $99 + tax.
Torn between 3 and 4 ratings. Since I decide to give it a four, I will start with negatives.
- Pricy for its location. It's surrounded by Sears Appliances, Walmart, and CrackerBarrel, not exactly what I considered a desirable location.Hotels in this area tend to be stereotyped as rundown lthough in all fairness, this HI is not.
- Standard room only, no suites. If you're HH Gold/Diamond, no upgrade is available.
- Breakfast is on the simple side in HI standard, no hard boiled eggs or sausages, for ex.
- Bed is soft and saggy.

On the other hand, the staff is very friendly. Hotel main lobby has been remodeled and is beautiful (I did not say grand). Large granite countertop table with bar stools look shiny and tasty. Room and bedding are clean, as expected from HI. Pool opens till midnight, though I did not visit.

You will get a good night's rest here. For the price, you probably can get better bargains elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Hampton's seem to come in a couple of "grades" and this is one of the better ones. It is also located very nicely for a freeway interchange hotel: it's far enough off I-80 and also the main highway to keep it very quiet and away from the interchange bustle. It looks a lot nicer than the Hampton a few miles west in Peru.

There is also a good selection of restaurants nearby, ranging from fast food to nice sit-down places. This was an excellent choice for us when heading east toward Chicago so that we didn't have to face Chicago congestion and traffic at the end of a long day on the interstate.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Positives: check-in desk help was friendly and helpful.
: woman working the breakfast on 3-16-2013 @6:30AM was incredibly helprful, kind, interested in her job, and interested in keeping customer happy.(hard to do with the quality of their product!) THANK YOU!
Negatives: Not notified of the fact that the hotel was under construction.
:"Free" breakfast options and quality was subpar in comparison to any Hampton Inn I've ever stayed at before(the woman working was spectacular though).
I could've paid less than half of the rate I paid for one night at this Hampton Inn and been just as happy. Live and learn.
BTW, I know this isn't the hotel, it's the contractor they hire, but don't trip over any of the construction material left sitting in the entry or lobby.

Room Tip: Ask if they're still under construction, or else don't expect typical Hampton Inn quality.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HamptonInnOttawa, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ottawa Starved Rock Area, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I am so sorry for the construction issues you experienced while you stayed with us. Your comfort and safety is my number one concern so I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. As you could tell we are currently going through renovations and I sincerely apologize if we caused you any inconveniences.

We always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected and I can assure you that your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise.

Again, I apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you travels bring you back to our area. Please know that your business is incredibly important to us and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This hotel is along the I-80 in Ottawa, Illinois. We were looking for a clean, comfortable hotel for the night while on our way to Colorado from the east. The room was large, clean and comfortable. with all of the amenities of other Hilton Hotels: king bed with nice comforter and sheets, toiletries that include hair conditioner (not found in many other hotels), complimentary Wi-Fi. The only problem we encountered was the very loud noise every time the heat came on. Consequently, our sleep was interrupted several times. Upon speaking to the manager at check out, he happily credited us the full amount of the room charge for the night. This was unexpected, but very much appreciated. It will bring us back to the Hampton Hotels. Breakfast was the usual assortment of cold and hot items.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Winnetka, Illinois
Reviewed January 26, 2013

and I wan't advised when I booked online. Didn't realize it was a construction zone until I arrived or I would have stayed in another hotel in that area. They also charged a full rate for that night. Really bad form on their part...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HamptonInnOttawa, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Ottawa Starved Rock Area, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
I am so sorry for the construction issues you experienced while you stayed with us. Your comfort and safey is my number one concern so I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.
As you could tell we are currently going through renovations and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Again, pleae accept my apologies and I do hope that the next time you are in the area you will consider staying at our location again. Thank you.
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

This is your standard Hampton Inn and it is a good place to stay. My three stars are not because of an overall bad stay but that for 130 dollars its just that, standard. The hotel is under renovation which again is not a bad thing. But I booked online and no where did it state that it was under construction. If I was a point chasing hussie I would of walked out when I walked in the door.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Madison, WI
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Overall this is a wonderful Hampton with an outstanding staff. We have grown to favor Hampton Inns for their consistency and incredibly comfortable beds. However, this bed had some of their famous linens but the mattress was rock hard. My husband and tossed and turned and my back still aches. It didn't have a "Heavenly Bed" sign so it may be an imposter. If you don't care about the bed this is a great, clean place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ottawa
Fairfield Inn & Suites Ottawa Starved Rock Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Peru
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peru
Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort
Days Inn Oglesby/ Starved Rock
Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center

Been to Hampton Inn Ottawa Starved Rock Area? Share your experiences!