“Not family friendly”

Hampton Inn Ottawa Starved Rock Area
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I am currently staying at the Hampton Inn in Ottawa Il. With my wife and two children and so far its been an disaster. They front desk has been very rude not only that bit do not greet you nor make you feel welcomed. They have called us twice already at 10pm to tell us that my children must quiet down and that i should put them, to sleep. I would have never thought they would discriminate on someone just because we have 2 young children. Cant to leave already booked another room at a competing hotel very dissapointed by there service or,lack there of. Beware !

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank cquest1
HamptonInnOttawa, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ottawa Starved Rock Area, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

I sincerely apologize if you felt undervalued or unwelcome by any of our staff members and I’ve addressed this issue. Our guests’ comfort and safety is a number one concern and we must address noise complaints we receive by other guests. I apologize if there was any miscommunication and if our staff was anything but courteous in their approach. I’ve addressed this with them as well. Your review will assist in correcting issues in the future. I do hope that the next time you are in the area you will consider staying at our property again. Thank you.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Super clean, great room with very comfortable bed and clean new sheets.
Great staff. A personalized letter is waiting for you in your room, welcoming you and offering assistance. Very unique and impressive. Very fast FREE Internet and reasonable rates. Good location right off interstate.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel a few times in our travels across country. Staff is pleasant, rooms are clean.We recommend the Hampton Inn. The beds are comfy. We stay overnight with an early departure but when we leave, we at least leave with fruit and coffee to take with us. Recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We chose this hotel based on being a Hilton Honors member and Trip Advisor reviews. Although reviews were mixed on this hotel, we did not find it dated or in need of TLC. Our room was large, clean and comfy. Staff was pleasant and efficient. Senior/AARP rate was okay, but probably could have been a little lower. We got in around 8 PM and could walk to a Cracker Barrel on the same property. Food and service there was good too. I would recommend and stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2012

The rooms were clean but it definitely needs an update. The staff was very nice and breakfast was ok. I normally prefer to stay at Hilton properties but the price at the Hampton was the same as the new hotel nearby. Next time, if the rates are the same as other local hotels and no updates have been made, I'll have to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Joan R
Reviewed April 28, 2012

No real standouts - Hotel a bit dated but overall it met with all of my business needs for travel

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is a follow-up to my first review of this Hampton Inn, which was written in 2008. We have family in the Ottawa area, so I have stayed at this Hampton Inn at least 2-3 times per year every year since it opened. While I have enjoyed many stays here over the years, my visits for the last year or so have been average at best.

This hotel is located right off I-80 next to a Walmart and a few restaurants and gas stations. The exterior of the hotel is still very well maintained, as is the lobby and the common areas; however, the rooms have seen better days. I've had a few issues with my rooms; including, a slow drain, slightly lumpy beds, mediocre bedding (time for new comforters!) and even a few bugs (a lady bug in my bed during my March 2012 stay; and a couple of tiny bugs in my bathroom during my Christmas 2011 stay).

While the staff is professional and friendly 95% of the time, I've had a staff encounter or two that left me scratching my head considering I'm a "regular." During my last visit, the message waiting light was flashing when I returned from being out for the day, and I was unable to retrieve the message from the phone, so I called the front desk. The staff member said "let me check it for you." After a minute, she said, "Oh it was just us calling to make sure everything was okay." Now, she did not ask if that was okay or offer to fix the problem, she just checked it and cleared it. I have no idea if she actually LISTENED or just knew it was their staff...I have no idea, but either way it is a problem.

Also, please note that according to the front desk staff, this hotel has NO non-smoking suites!!! They only have one (I think), and it's on a smoking floor -- two of the three floors are smoking, but I've not had issues with smoke, and I'm very sensitive to it.

The breakfast offering is a good value added feature, and they offer little to-go bags with an apple, bottled water and a granola or muffin snack, which I think is a nice thing to do.

All-in-all, I will probably continue to stay here because it's not a *terrible* place, and I'm a Hilton Honors member, so I want the points, but this hotel is in need of a little TLC sooner rather than later.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ottawa
Fairfield Inn & Suites Ottawa Starved Rock Area
Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort
Hampton Inn & Suites Peru
Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center
Fairfield Inn & Suites Peru
15 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peru

Been to Hampton Inn Ottawa Starved Rock Area? Share your experiences!