Fairfield Inn & Suites Ottawa Starved Rock Area
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Ottawa
Glenview, Illinois
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I work in the hotel industry and must say that this was one of the cleanest hotels that I have ever stayed at. It is very new as well as modern and priced very well. They had a nice continental breakfast and the staff was very friendly. I took my children to Starved Rock and opted to stay a little bit farther away to avoid crowds at most of the local hotels. I am very glad that I chose this hotel and would definately recommend it.

While visiting Starved Rock we ate at the diner in the lodge. We were waited on by "Carolyn" and I just wanted to pass on my appreciation for the service she provided. She went out of her way to take care of us and also snuck me some animal crackers to give to my kids after lunch. She definately deserves to be recognized by the Lodge. If you are staying in the area and decide to eat at the Starved Rock Lodge, I recommend asking to be seating at her table. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Sharon A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We love Starved Rock State Park. It is only 90 miles from Chicago and it feels like it's worlds away. That's why I am so excited about this new Fairfield Inn.

In the past, most of the accommodations in the area are what I would consider a little more rustic. Even the Starved Rock Lodge, while beautiful and historically characteristic, lacks the modern amenities that a picky person, like me, needs when craving creature comforts.

Ok, so while the Fairfield Inn may have NO character, it is BRAND new, it is super clean, and they have free breakfast. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room, but it was a nice respite to return to after hiking all of the awesome canyons and cliffs at Starved Rock. Also, there was good service.

A couple points:
- Fitness Center is new but could've been better if they invested in better equipment. 2 no-name treadmills plus 1 no-name elliptical. Better than nothing, but I'm worried that in a few years, they will not hold up. Believe me, I am thankful that they had something so it doesnt impact the rating.

- They should put up signs asking people to follow common sense sanitary practices at the breakfast spot. People stuck their hands in to get food out of the containers (ignoring the tongs that were available.). People were literally in pajamas and bare feet. Disgusting!

These are resolvable issues so I think that the hotel is still worthy of the highest rating because of the fantastic service. We'll be back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Janie C
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Stayed here with my fiance for a weekend away. Brand new hotel, great staff, clean rooms, great location close to lots of fun sites. We especially enjoyed the farmer's market on the square in Ottawa and the local wineries.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 8, 2011

The staff is so nice and accommodating. The rooms, pool, general areas, etc are very clean. We were able to BBQ in a nice, quiet patio area. If we needed anything additional, there is a large grocery store down the road.
GREAT LOCATION: just 25 minutes to Starved Rock for Hiking...beautiful drive too!!

Room Tip: Show them your AAA card for a discount.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Boulder, CO
Reviewed September 7, 2011

It was late and we were all tired. After reading reviews for several hotels in Ottawa we chose the Fairfield inn and suites. We could not have been happier! The hotel was brand new, clean, comfortable, and had great service. Perfect place to stop and catch a night of rest on a long road trip. Were we traveling through Ottawa again we would not hesitate to stay here. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed September 2011
Illinois
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We were there for just a one night quick stay over Labor Day. Knew this was just a level 1 Marriott Fairfield so expected it to be clean but basic. From the moment we pulled into the parking lot, entered the lobby, checked in and went into our room, I was very impressed. Clean, bright with great modern decor. Flat screen in the room, large granite space sink, desk with free wi-fi, and most importantly a comfortable bed. This is a very nice hotel and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank love2travelalso
Morris, Illinois
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We had ridden our tandem bike here and the manager on duty allowed us to bring it into our room for safekeeping. We had to leave early the next morning and even though the breakfast wasn't technically to be served for another hour we were allowed to enjoy a wonderful breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ottawa
Hampton Inn Ottawa Starved Rock Area
Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort
Days Inn Oglesby/ Starved Rock
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peru
Fairfield Inn & Suites Peru
Hampton Inn & Suites Peru

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Ottawa Starved Rock Area? Share your experiences!