“Sometimes a Sandwich is Just a Sandwich”

EMERSON CREEK POTTERY & TEA ROOM
Ranked #1 of 4 Coffee & Tea in Oswego
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: 15 tables - reservations SRONGLY recommended.
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Sometimes a Sandwich is Just a Sandwich”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I'll give you the good news first: really wonderful soups and small muffins, charming setting, unique history, off the beaten path, excellent service and a new menu every week.

However, it's a shame that this place just might be a little too big for its britches. Things seem to be almost there...like 80 to 90 percent right, but the 10 to 20 percent that is not right sucks the life right out of the whole experience.

So, here is the bad news...

About the food: the sandwiches here are really just sandwiches and the salads here are really just salads. No flair, no zip, no zing. The "tea room" portion at this point in the game seems to be just an aside - and not any wonder, we are in a land of coffee and lattes. Where is my elegant espresso? Where are the finger sandwiches one would expect to find at tea?

About the restaurant, er, tearoom itself: the place is PACKED and NOISY (I was there on a Friday at 12:30). They're only open from 11am - 2pm so I'm not sure when you could come here and try to enjoy a quiet cup of tea and a yummy bowl of soup.

Nothing against women (I am one, after all) but the only man in the place was with me and the soul-killing cacophony coming from every packed table of women was enough to send me running from the place. They've tried to tone it down with acoustic wall panels but still no dice. I shudder to think of the noise level before those arrived.

I can only give this place a 2 out of 5. I wish I could give it more but I think they might be a victim of their own success.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank AngieB253

Fairfield Glade, Tennessee
“A delightful farm country lunch”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We visited here for lunch at recommendation of a shop owner in town. It is outside Oswego a few short miles, and proved to well-worth the drive into the country. It is a unique setting with a beautiful setting in farm country. It has a limited menu but you cannot go wrong with anything you choose. They're open only for lunch but do feature dinners - be sure to make a reservation. Our lunch was impeccably prepared with very fresh and flavorful ingredients. Highly recommended. Also check out their facilities for a wonderful wedding and reception venue.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank hatfloater
New Lenox, Illinois
“Amazing food, service and a great wedding !”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I am a wedding officant and officiated a wedding at Emmerson Creek and it was an amazing place.
I came back for lunch in the tea room and I have traveled all over and have to say this was
AMAZING ! food fabulous and fresh service excellent !! I enjoyed every moment. The atmosphere is beautiful. Well worth the drive GO HUNGRY and relax !
Rev. Jeannie Walton

2 Thank Jeannie W
Woodridge, Illinois
“Don't miss this out-of-the-way gem”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This place is way off the beaten path, which is part of the reason it's such a great spot. Enchanting decor and great food make this a wonderful lunch destination. Time seems to slow down as you enjoy the ambiance, food, and lovely scenery. Don't miss the shop -- it's a great place!

1 Thank Kate L
Chicago Burb
“Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Visited for lunch with a small group of ladies. Reservation was required and needed due to the size. It's out of the way location is part of the charm. It reminded me of Cracker Barrel, just authentic with a more refined menu. Menu changes weekly, but seems to always serve sandwiches, soups, and salads. The environment and food are more geared towards ladies in my opinion. Not the place for children. Separate building to browse the gift shop which was nice but nothing special. I would love to attend an event in the barn space which is unique. I'll return to the restaurant because of the food. I'll return to the property for the summer market and holiday craft shows.

1 Thank Kimberly H