“Fantastic location - scenic and convenient, but average hotel.”
Review of Paddle Wheel Inn

Paddle Wheel Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oregon
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Paddle Wheel Inn is ideally situated on the Rock River, with each room (on the river facing side) having it's own patio or balcony. Across the river is a forested hillside. You would stay here for the lovely scenic location and for close proximity to the 3 local state parks. It is also convenient for the Paddle Boat Cruise and 2 good restaurants - Blackhawk Steak Pit and Maxon's Riverside which has great views. The hotel was decent, but at $150 for the whirlpool suite (a large bathtub with jets basicly), the breakfast of packaged junk food and watered down coffee and NO tea bags was disappointing. The sheets & some towels were thin, but the place was clean and the staff decent. You're paying for location here and the alternatives may be few. The Chateau Lodge across the street may be cheaper, but has no view.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MidWestActiveAdult

Reviewed August 15, 2009

I stayed at the Paddle Wheel Inn for a wedding. Most of the rooms were booked for this event. The security for this Inn is not good.
Maxon's next door is a good restaurant and their deck is beautiful to sit on and watch the river. But I won't stay at the Paddle Wheel Inn again. My relative's wallet was stolen and it was secured at all times.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank emptynester333
philtravels815, Manager at Paddle Wheel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2009

The paddle wheel Inn has no responsibility for the missing wallet/ purse. Per the police report the wallet/purse was left unattended at the reception hall and in the breakfast area. The paddle wheel Inn's employees have been cleared of any wrong doing by the police and have no connection with the missing wallet/purse. A lock history was ran on the guest lock and only the key cards issued to the guest were used to enter the guest room for the duration of their stay. It is unfortunate the wallet/purse is missing but the Paddle wheel Inn or employees are not to blame.

Reviewed July 11, 2009

When I arrived there was what appeared to be dog droppings on the carpet entering the entrance ramp. Two young ladies were at the reception desk as we checked in for a thee night stay. They were informed of what were observed on the carpet. After several trip into town and back over a three hour or more time span the droppings were still on the capet. Each time we had returned to town they were informed of the the droppings. finally one of them cleaned it up. They later informed us that it was a piece of chicken that someone had dropped. Believe me I know the difference between a piece of chicken and dog droppings.
Two of the mornings that we went down for breakfast a number of things were missing that were provided the first morning with nothing to take their place. The breakfast is very similar to what you get at a much less expensive motel like Super Eight's or similar motel chains but the service from the employees could use some training and and attitude adjustment.
The top sheet on both of the beds in the room were like tissue paper.
I would, in the future, spend the extra money on gas and drive from Dixon, Byron Center, or Mt. Morris, rather than pay the $109.89 for the inferior quality PaddleWheel Hotel or Oregon, IL. You can get the same or better quality at the SuperEight in Dixon for $20 or less.
One morning the breakfast was so limited in quantity and quality that we went into town and ate at McDonalds which we seldom ever do on our trips.
Would I ever book nights at the PaddleWheel Hotel in Oregon, Il? Not at the prices they charge.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank Disapoointed
philtravels815, Manager at Paddle Wheel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2009

This gentleman was one of those customers that if you gave the room to him for free he would still have been unhappy. He did complain that something was on the carpet on the front walk way. He said it looked like dog poo just as he stated. I personally went out and cleaned up the small stain on the carpet within 15 minutes of the complaint. I personally told him it was not dog poo after i cleaned it up. We have a strict no pet policy and that there was fried chicken in the garbage that was 2 feet from the stain on the carpet.It appeared to be fried chicken ground into the carpet. He absolutely did not complain more than once about the stain on the front walk way. Our continental breakfast consist of Donuts, granola bars, fruit cups, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, bananas, coffee and juice. I'm sorry that these items did not meet his expectations. The breakfast is always fully stocked to offer all of our guest a variety.

Reviewed July 7, 2009

I recently spent a week at the Paddle Wheel with my very extended family, some with small children. I had read the previously posted reviews, most of which were not favorable, so I was very pleasantly surprised. The rooms were spacious and very clean; they may not be the most up to date, but for a hotel in the middle of nowhere (and I'm from there, so I can say that), it was fine. The continental breakfast was more than adequate and it had the plus of being available until 11, which was great for the late risers. On the day we left at 3 AM, the night clerk even had the coffee ready for us!! now that's what I call service.

I wasn't charged extra for makeup on the towels, although I'm sure there was some. The restaurant associated with the hotel is only open for lunch during the week, dinner on the weekends, so we didn't eat there, but there is another restaurant literally in the same parking lot along with a bank, so you don't have to go far for food or more money. The town of Oregon itself has a Pizze Hut (which was better than Alfano's downtown and that place is owned by people from Italy, so go figure), and a MacDonalds along with several other places. The Sunrise on main street has a great breakfast. And if you don't mind going to Mt. Morris (one town over), try the Peppermill on the mail street. The fried chicken, Chicken Jockey and the mushroom cheeseburgers aren't to be missed. Not a diet place for sure!!! And if you're in Polo (one more town over), try Dad's Bar and Grill on the main street, wonderful chicken strips, homemade pie and Bloody Mary's!! Again, not a diet place but great, inexpensive food.

There is a large deck at the "Wheel" ,as we started calling it, where you can sit and contemplate the quiet and beauty of the Rock River and the surrounding area. Next time I stay there (and I'm sure I will), I'm going to opt for a room on the river side so I can have coffee on the balcony and watch the eagles soar over the statue of Black Hawk. I hope that another time we can do the river cruise or rent canoes and paddle down the river. It was the most relaxing place I've stayed in years.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank marjbro

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and we enjoyed you being our guest. We would love to have you back very soon!!!

Reviewed June 16, 2009

I had booked a block of rooms for a wedding and gave them my credit card number to hold the rooms. I canceled the rooms that were not booked a month before the wedding apart from two of them that I was paying for myself. At midnight the night before the wedding one of the guests attempted to check into one of the rooms I reserved and was refused. I attempted to confirm my credit card number over the phone so that I could pay for the room but the desk clerk refused to do that. She said she needed to swipe the "actual card" I had to get someone out of bed to go to the hotel and present the card. This was despite the fact that I had managed to assist them in reserving the majority of the rooms in the hotel that weekend.
Also one of the wedding guests had his wallet stolen form a locked hotel room during the wedding! He informed the hotel and they did nothing to assist him with this matter.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank DeloresIllinois

It is standard practice in all businesses to swipe a credit card and verify the Identity of the person using the card by matching signatures and checking ID's before allowing someone to use a credit card to pay for services or merchandise. I personally talked to this customer and told her that if she would like to pay for a room then she would have to come in to the hotel and make payment before the guest checked in to the hotel. I would never expect to go to walmart to make a purchase and
ask walmart to talk to one of my family member of friend on the phone to get a credit card for payment for my purchase. We are a business and have policies to protect us as well as the customer. So we did require the guest to make payment with a swiped credit card and a signature from the cardholder before allowing them to check in. As far as the stolen wallet, according to the police report the wallet was left unattended in the breakfast area and at the reception hall. The guest was unsure when and where the wallet was lost. A lock history was ran on the guest room and no employee card was used during the time the guest was checked in the hotel. The housekeepers did not do a stay over service, the guest requested no housekeeping. My staff was interview by the police and none of my staff was implicated in the wallet coming up missing.

Reviewed September 18, 2008

I'm puzzled by the bad reviews as we've stayed here twice with no problems. The rooms are nice and clean and most offer great river views. Maxson's restaurant next door will provide room service with really wonderful food. The paddlewheel boat is docked outside and offers tours. The staff isn't exactly outgoing but they're polite and helpful and we've had no problems at all.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank janeallene_8
Reviewed September 6, 2008

This place was filthy and had mice in our room, we had to leave the manager (Jethny) would not do anything

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

I have never had a complaint issued to me in regards to a mouse or any other rodent problem. The paddle Wheel Inn is exterminated bi-weekly, to prevent any problmes before they happen. I have been the Manager for 10 years and have never once had a complain or seen any mice in the building. This is a very clean and well maintained hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oregon
Quality Inn and Suites Dixon
#6 of 24 in Rockford
Chateau Lodge
Chateau Lodge
#3 of 3 in Oregon

Been to Paddle Wheel Inn? Share your experiences!