“Would stay again...We LOVED it!!!”
Review of Paddle Wheel Inn

Paddle Wheel Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oregon
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed at the paddle wheel inn this past weekend for a wedding. Our room was beautiful and very clean! The view from our balcony was amazing! The staff was very friendly! Im not sure why there are so many people with negative reviews of this hotel, it is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed at. We will be back in the future!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sara W

Reviewed August 6, 2011

I work for a very large company that comes to Oregon IL every year on business. As a woman I am very picky to where I stay. I have checked out many hotels in the surrounding areas and i have found this hotel very much to my liking. Some of these reviews on here are outrages. Since I come here so often, I have gotten to know the staff and I find them very pleasent and attentive. I have never had any extra charges on my credit card due to make up stains or any other reason for that matter. The rooms are very clean and very nicely laid out. My pet peeve is bathrooms, I can't stand finding anything wrong with the bathrooms. I have never had to complain about anything, the bathrooms are very clean, and kind of sparkle when you go it. I will continue to come here. Remember folks, this is a one family owned hotel and as everyone else the economy is hitting everyone, they too have to accomidate for the rising of prices of many things, electric, gas, food, supplies and ect.. Stay here and judge for yourself, i think you will quite satisfied.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank traveloften037
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Stayed here for a friend's wedding. Thought it would be nice to have a whirlpool room. The whirlpool is an oversized tub in the bathroom. $5 charge for the unplugged refrigerator!!! The Monday after returning home, we notice a $225 charge pending on our credit card. When we inquired, the manager claims we burned a blanket and comforter. We did not smoke in the room. We had friends over that night and they can attest that we smoked outside. We had enough courtsey to throw the butts in the rooms garbage and not on the patio as others before us had done. The manager was quite unreasonable and adament that we did smoke in the room with no credible evidence, only circumstantial evidence that quite possibly was from a previous guest. We won't be back, I'll be sure to let all that I know not to go here.

Room Tip: Some other place in Oregon
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank garrisonm
philtravels815, Manager at Paddle Wheel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2011

The guest rented a non smoking room. Prior to check in the room was a smoke free, burn free room. We have a 39 unit hotel so I do alot of the work including housekeeping. I checked this room before check in and made sure it was ready for the guest. I was the first person to enter the room upon check out of the guest. The room was full of ashes, cigarette butts, bedspread burned, another blanket burned and smelled strongly of smoke. It is posted in the room that it is a non smoking room, their key card stated it is a non smoking room and they would be charged $100 for smoking in the room. Registration that they signed upon check in stated the room is non smoking room and they would be charged for smoking in and damaging room. I am sure all of the non smokers appreciate our policy of keeping our non smoking rooms in a smoke free condition. We had to carpet clean, replace 2 blankets and ozone the room, a $225 charge was more than fair. To make this complaint even more unjustified, Illinois in a non smoking state. Illinois law state no smoking in public places or 15 feet from an entrance. Sign is in room informing all guest of Illinois law, in case they are not familiar with the law. Not only did they break that Paddle Wheel Inn's policies they broke an Illinois law.

Reviewed October 20, 2010

I had not read the reviews before I stayed at the Paddle Wheel and unfortunately, I payed for it to the tune of $670. Instead of blocking off rooms for my wedding, they were reserved and when I called to cancel, the manager, Jethny said there was nothing she could do about it since it was [only a few hours] past the 72 hours as stated in the cancellation policy. She was so RUDE and said "Well, I would have had this figured out months ago." She also lied to my father, stating that she offered me a cancellation fee. Yeah, that never happened. Also, I called and asked and the cancellation fee is the price of the room. I assume, like the other reviews, that she'll rebut my comments by throwing the rules at me but the rules don't compensate for terrible customer service. I'm told that the owners of the Paddle Wheel are not the ones
My guests also had a terrible time booking rooms under my name. My aunt and uncle were told that there were no rooms reserved at the hotel by my name so they booked a different room and instead of the Inn fixing their mistake, they told them they would have to pay the cancellation fee. A friend of the family was told that he was not given permission by me to book a room.
This place was nothing but a headache and the continental breakfast is a joke! Little Debbie snacks, cold cereal and sour orange juice.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rockfordian1024
philtravels815, Manager at Paddle Wheel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2011

This Review is not acurate. The Guest made individual reservations, not a group block. So when their guests called in to make reservations we did not have a group block set up for this wedding party. The guest that wrote this review cancelled 24 hours prior to arrival. We have a 72 hour cancellation policy, which is standard in the hotel industry. The management and staff was very courteous and polite to all of the guest. We did enforce our cancellation policy and we did not let guest make reservations under the bride and grooms personal reservations as they were not group reservations that their guest could reserve under a group block. It is unfortunate that the guest is unhappy but we did nothing but enforce the policies the guest was aware of before making reservations.

Reviewed October 10, 2010

We stayed here as a family member was getting married/having their reception here.

The good:
It's located on the Rock River, which is beautiful this time of year. Perfect weather and scenery for a wedding.

The bad:
*Lots of bugs. I realize it's asian beetle/boxelder season, and I completely understand they will get in, but there were flies everywhere in our room.
*There's only one iron in the entire establishment. One iron. Lots of special events are held there, therefore, people bring nice clothes that will need to be ironed. Two weddings were being held there the day we stayed there, so you'll have to continually go down to see if the iron's available.
*When we made the reservation we asked for two beds, got there and they put us in a room with one double bed. We went down and told them we reserved a room with two beds, they got us a room and also charged us more for their mistake. Not to mention, on the website it says all their standard rooms come with two queen beds.
*We paid $173 for a room with two beds. $173 in Oregon, IL for a substandard gross room. Wow.

If you're going to be there for a wedding or special event, I recommend staying at a B&B nearby instead of paying way too much for an icky room at Paddle Wheel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bbee81

The Guest was in a riverview Suite, which is 2 Queen size bed with a balcony overlooking the Rock River. The rate is $130.95 based upon 2 adults and $25 more on a saturday night in the Summer and Fall. It is standard for hotels to have premium rates during prime dates. We have irons and ironing boards complimentary for guest use. We have 20 irons and boards available for use. Our continental breakfast consist of cereal, yogurt, coffee, orange juice, apple juice, fruit cups, donuts, gronola bars, cereal bars, muffins, hot chocolate and oatmeal. It is unfortunate that the guest is unhappy. We have beautiful, clean rooms and it a great location. We have an expansive continental breakfast. The guest gave an inacurate review. Please come and experience the Paddle wheel Inn for yourself, you will be pleased.

Reviewed August 11, 2010

Manager will not refund us. We had a family medical emergency (liver transplant surgery for my mother in law) and left to go to Chicago to be at the surgery. I spoke to the front desk on Friday evening about leaving early and was informed by the front desk that it would be fine and to just check out the next day (Saturday morning).
I checked my credit card account today and had not been refunded. I called and talked to the manager today (wednesday) and was told she will not refund us as she was not able to sell the room. she told me she tried to sell the room but was not able to so she can't refund us. I understand there are policies in place, but we did not just decide not to stay there, we had a family medical emergency. Why else would we leave a wedding of our friend which my wife was in the wedding party.
I find it hard to believe that the management staff would not expect the same thing if it where to happen to them.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank charnstrom
philtravels815, Manager at Paddle Wheel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2010

I spoke with everyone of my staff and no one informed the guest that he could check out and be refunded. He also never mention to my staff when checking out that a family member was having an organ transplant. When the guest called to ask for a refund he told me that the family member was having a kidney transplant. In this complaint he is stating it was a liver transplant.

Reviewed August 2, 2010

Had a room, with jacuzzi looking out to the river. The view is very nice, however thats about all your paying for. The room is outdated, a fridge you can use, if you pay an additional $5.00 a night. The room is antiquated with outdated decor, old carpet and small tv. The continental breakfast consisted of generic pre packaged pastry and dry ceral. Then to come home to find I had been charged twice for the room. I have stayed at a beautiful bed and breakfast (Pinehill Inn), with great food, for less money in the area. Suggest staying there and taking a short drive to see the river.
We stayed at the Paddle Wheel because of a wedding reception at Maxs which was next door. The food was ok, however, we were rushed through dinner, and the management was not friendly.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank luvdrivingtopless
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oregon
Comfort Inn Dixon
La Quinta Inn & Suites Rockford
Red Roof Inn Rockford
Red Roof Inn Rockford
#6 of 24 in Rockford

Been to Paddle Wheel Inn? Share your experiences!