“Good food but a bit smokey on the inside”
Review of Jackass Bbq - CLOSED

Jackass Bbq
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stopped for lunch and the sandwiches are great and portions are large. It was a bit smokey on the inside from the BBQing. Did see a number of people stop in to take food to go.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

First, some context. This place is a former gas station, OK?
Second, you order at a window, and they bring the food to you ... kinda like a Culver's, but not as clean.
Third, the restrooms are the same ones used at the former gas station.
Fourth, you should know that the place holds no liquor license ... so, no beer here.

Now, the food. My wife had the brisket, and I had the signature Jackass BBQ sliced prime rib sandwich.

If you're expecting BBQ sauce on your sandwich, you guessed wrong. You have to add it, and they have two sauces: regular and spicy. I had the regular, and it's definitely very regular.

Having said that, the food was good ... not outstanding, not "out of this world," but not bad, either. Just "good."

Total cost for two = $24. A Culver's would've been cleaner, better food, and cost less. But it was definitely a special you-oughta-do-it-once experience.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stopped in Oregon, IL to check out the town and asked some locals for a good place to eat. They said they had the best BBQ in town. We said we were game. They have smoked meats, which is different than wet or rubbed. They offer brisket, pork and chicken. I believe they even offered smoked sausage. It had a wonderful hickory flavor to the meat. They had two types sauces to put on your choice of meat. I perferred the the spicy sauce which had a little more vingear and pepper. It was sweet going in and had just a tang of heat going down. You could get a sandwich or dinner plate with baked or sweet potato. They offered fries in either, too.

Interior and exterior is not fancy by any means, but it as wonderful BBQ. We saw farmers as well as lawyers from the courthouse coming in. If you have to go back to work after lunch, be prepared to smell like some really good hickory smoke. We will definately be back there. They are found behind the courthouse, if you are going West on 64 and across from the post office.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

As a resident of Oregon, I have to say that I hate seeing the name on the side of building when I drive by. It just seems a little tasteless.

With that being said, the food is good... really good. The pulled pork, prime rib, and brisket are their staple sandwiches. All are excellent. The prime rib can be a little fatty for some. I have ordered their pulled chicken before. It tends to be a little dry. My husband is in love with their namesake sandwich, which comes smothered in cheese, onions, and peppers. I loved their smoked sweet potatoes. It's something different, and they have great flavor. Both the sweet potatoes and regular potatoes are HUGE, so you probably can share. The baked beans are homemade and actually have some of the pork in them.

I actually prefer that they don't sauce the meat. I don't care for a ton of sauce, and this way I can give it just the amount I prefer. However, I can see where this would be annoying if you didn't know the drill. The staff isn't the most friendly and outgoing staff I've experienced. They treat you well enough, but probably wouldn't recognize details like that.

1  Thank needsvacation82
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Everything was good. Good iced tea. Great salads (mac n potato). Meat was tender. Clean place. Nice staff. Ran in,on a whim here, we loved it!