“Watch your steak be grilled!”

The Blackhawk Steak Pit
Ranked #2 of 29 Restaurants in Oregon
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Whether it's a day trip from Chicago or a weekend getaway from the hustle and bustle of the big city, Oregon is less than 2 hours away from Chicago and offers many outdoor activities. Its a great place to visit. The Steakpit offers amazing hospitality and awesome food. Specializing in steaks cooked over an open charcoal pit. We also offer a fresh fish of the week. We have a different fresh fish flown in every week. (Call and ask what our fish of the week is, if you are a seafood lover) The Steakpit has been a staple in the community for over 3 decades. We are known for our steaks but our menu has a lot more than just steaks to offer.
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Our innkeepers recommended the Blackhawk and it was a good call. They grill the steaks on an indoor grill, so, depending on where you're seated, you may even be able to watch your steak be grilled. Meals include a salad bar, which was OK, not spectacular. The steaks were great, though, so I'd definitely go back.

1  Thank Karen W

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Peter who I believe is the owner, will make your dining experience here unforgetful. He offers entertainment with his sense of humor as well as choice cut mouth watering steaks.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We traveled to Oregon, IL for my sister's 50th Birthday. The Steak Pit was a place to stop and enjoy a drink after our long trip down to Illinois from Minnesota. Imagine our surprise when we walked in and were greeted by a delirious man saying "good morning" to everyone (it was about 6pm). Little did we know what a treat we were in for. I instantly appreciated the man's humor as he reminded me of the friends I'd made when I lived out east--a little loud, but a great heart. I'd get right into the fabulous food, but I want to give a caution here. If you want to go to a restaurant and not have a good time or if you want have a quiet evening do not go here. The draw of this place is the positive energy (which sometimes might be misunderstood by the unassuming traveler), but I can assure you that this owner’s desire ( Peter) is to draw the patron in and help them truly enjoy their dining experience. He connected with everyone from our party—five in all ranging in age from 72 to 17. The youngest actually belted out a few tunes with Peter. So the food--the food was fabulous. Loved the grilled mushrooms, awesome NY strip—cooked to perfection, the bite of cheese cake that I was allowed to sample (my mom shared/my son did NOT)was tasty and the Baklava that I took home---it hit the spot. Thank you to Peter and the entire Steak Pit crew (especially those that grilled my steak) for making our dining experience a great one. We will definitely be back to visit when we were in town. It will be like visiting an old friend. God’s blessings to you until we meet again. Christina Wetterling on behalf of her family Tom & Marie Grezek and Paul & Noah

BlackhawkSteakPit, Owner at The Blackhawk Steak Pit, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

"Good morning" Christine! Thanks so much for your feedback, we appreciate it. It was a real pleasure to meet you and your party, and we are all very pleased that you enjoyed the food and especially the singing, haha! Looking forward to seeing you again next time you take a trip back to Oregon, IL.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

A couple of friends took me to The Blackhawk Steak Pit, for the my first time. What a great experience. When we entered the restaurant we were greeted by one of the owners, who made me felt as if I had been a customer for years. After we were seated, he asked what kind of steaks we liked and how we liked them cooked. He returned shortly with the steaks he had hand picked out for us. Nice thick cuts of beef which he proceeded to cook to perfection. I had a huge cut filet mignon that was fork tender and smothered in mushrooms, a large baked potato and home baked garlic bread. We also had freshly made Greek salad's that were made with fresh local ingredients - wonderful. I am looking forward to returning to the Steak Pit so I can order the huge Ribeye that I was first tempted with.

1  Thank Kamabuki
BlackhawkSteakPit, Owner at The Blackhawk Steak Pit, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thanks for your feedback, it is appreciated. I'm pleased that you had a great first experience, and that you felt at home like a long-time friend. We look forward to seeing you again, with a nice Ribeye waiting for you!

Reviewed July 18, 2012

OMG, we did not have reservations on a Sat but the manager I think he was, opened up back room for us. Sooo nice! Food was good. I had the ribs.

1  Thank MaryBl52

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it. I'm glad we were able to accomodate you on that Saturday night, and that you enjoyed the BBQ Ribs. Looking forward to serving you again soon!