“tasty food, but need to provide breakfast”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hallatrow
The Old Station Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hallatrow B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 24, 2012

we had a lovely stay here. visited on a groupon deal room was basic,bed a little lumpy & pushed up against a wall on one side- no where to put glass of water & had to climb over husband for loo or shuffle down bed, still very clean,no real complaints
restaurant lovely,food tasty huge portions staff very friendly great service
THE one let down no breakfast if i was paying the full £57 a night i would expect breakfast even if it was just continental luckily we came prepared we took a small toaster & enjoyed toast & marmite,prosciutto & orange juice
we did find a pub down the road offerering breakfast from 1000

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I received a night at The Old Station Inn via a groupon voucher as a gift for my birthday.On arrival at the pub my partner and I were warmly welcomed by Debbie the landlady. What a unique and wonderfully quaint pub. (Take a look at the photos on the website) After reviewing all the memorabilia adorning almost every space of the wall we were shown to our rooms. Now the Ritz its not, its no frills and the complimentary tray of tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits was a nice touch, although I, myself, could have murdered a cooked breakfast the morning after. (There is no breakfast served here). Later on we were shown through the pub into an old beautiully restored Pullman railway carriage which is situated at the back of the pub. We scanned the menu and then with our mouths drooling I plumped for the warm goats cheese tart and my partner the seafood parcel and we both devoured out starters with vigour. The mains we chose we were not to be disappointed with ! I choose the 1kg pork hock and my partner the salmon and it took me ages to eat it and I do have a hearty appetite to be honest. Onto the favourite part which are the desserts. I would recommend the triple chocolate mousse but ask for 2 spoons as its more than enough for 1 person. The waitress was very polite and when asked for the specials she said beef and ale sausages but I thought she said beef and eel but that was because of her lovely irish accent ! All the staff were welcoming and cheerful and this added to a very pleasant break. Would recommend this to anyone who is of a curious disposition.

1  Thank goonerjools
Reviewed September 16, 2012

If the Hotel Inspector ever wanted to show a good example of how hospitality should work, she should visit The Old Station Inn. Everything about it reflects the hard work of the hosts and the generous approach to their guests.
We stayed for one night. Having been warmly welcomed, dinner in the old railway carriage was a great experience. Having already decided that two courses would be enough, in the event we were both defeated by our huge main courses. No-one should complain about no breakfast being available here - have dinner and you won't need breakfast! We also enjoyed the quirkiness of the bar area, not difficult to see why this is such a popular pub.
The room was at the more basic end of accommodation, but spotlessly clean and had everything needed. The refreshments provided were really good, and the thoughtful provision of take-away cups and biscuits served us well in lieu of breakfast as we left in the morning.
In short, we really enjoyed our experience at the Old Station Inn and highly recommend it for a different short break.

1  Thank seelybee
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We'd been here a few times. In fact, we also took a bunch of people for my 40th birthday. Food had always been adequate pub food but it was the beer and the quirky surroundings that appealed to us .......... and then came the steak incident.

Special occasion with husband. Ordered most expensive thing on menu and, while I'm not particularly fussy when it comes to food, it was inedible. God only knows what happened to it but the whole meal had been affected by its acrid burned taste. My husband, who really will eat anything, also refused to eat it. When I got over my Britishness and politely complained, the landlady's Welsh charm suddenly failed completely. She repeatedly and aggressively told me that there was nothing wrong with it but if I wanted another one, they would fry it in a pan. After tolerating that for 5 minutes I got more specific by confirming that it was 'inedible'.

After another 20 mins, I got a replacement 'fillet' steak which was in fact a tatty piece of tasteless rump also not cooked properly. Having given up by that point, I ate the veg as fast as I could (my husband had finished his meal by then and I was starving) and then he went to pay so we could leave as fast as we could. Sadly, that was not to be. Aftrer he'd paid the full price without saying anything, the landlady actually then provoked an attack by saying 'she hasn't eaten that one, what's wrong with her now?'. When he politely explained that it was a not particularly well cooked rump steak but he'd paid for a fillet anyway she shouted at him 'What would you know, are you in the trade then?'. He told her that he wasn't but could tell the difference between a fillet and a rump steak and if that had been sold to her as a fillet then she should consider changing her supplier. Her response was that she would prefer to change her clientele.

We stopped in for a drink on the way home at our local pub (which is about 3 miles away from this one) to calm down a bit. On talking to the regulars in there, it seems the hit and miss food at the Old Station is well-known and that ours wasn't the first steak incident. Be warned if you do decide to play the food lottery there so when something goes wrong, you can either bale out fast or reach for a baseball bat to defend yourself when Mrs Jekyl shows her Hyde.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MrandMrsH333
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My husband & I stayed here for one night to celebrate our 31st wedding anniversary, We had a lovely dining experience in the restaurant which is an old GWR railway carriage which is tastefully decorated. We had very good service and the food was excellent. There was a good selection of real ales and the hosts Debbie & Neville were very welcoming and made us feel very welcome. We would recommend this inn for an unusual dining experience and we would definately come back again. We will be recommending this inn to our friends and family for a superb place to eat and stay. Keep up the good work.! The room we slept in was very comfortable, plenty of tea & coffee, decent TV and a comfy bed what more could we wish for! Vicky R

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed at the Old Station Inn on a Groupon deal. The restaurant carriage is a brilliant dining experience - it feels really special. The food is excellent and the portions are massive - bigger than we've ever experienced in other pubs and restaurants. Everything is very reasonably priced too. The staff in the restaurant were really friendly and helpful. The wine we received with our Groupon deal was great - much better than we had expected. The pub itself is quirky and great fun, and the staff are welcoming and happy to chat. Our room was ok, although not the best - the bathroom was clean and the room was functional, but 'recently refurbished' is stretching it a bit - I'd say that our room was updated a few years ago and was starting to look tired - but the bed was comfortable and we slept well after our meal! All in all, definitely recommended, especially for the brilliant dining experience.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

They call it "eclectic dining" - what a treat! Dinner in an old railway carriage with thirties and forties background music (nothing too intrusive though). The food's good and not gimmicky. And the bar afterwards for a nightcap was friendly and fun. Good value accommodation and although there is no breakfast on site, there's an excellent farm shop 5 minutes away in Farrington Gurney. All round lovely experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Old Station Inn? Share your experiences!