Mekong Riverside Boutique Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cai Be
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“go now”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I spent the last 3 days (originally booked 2) of my holiday here with my partner and another ouple and we were all delighted by our discovery. The setting is quite naturaistic, as can be can be seen from the accurate photos. The location next to the Mekng is fantastic and it is only 2 kilometres from Cai Bai. We explored the little town on the free hotel bikes and what it lacks in tourist facilities it repays in charm and authenticity - friendliest locals I came across.
The facilities are fine, maybe not quite 4 star but good enough for me. The bungelows are sup with air con, comfy beds and a delightful shower room. Not massive but adequate. All have balconies, which you can fish from.
Restaurant was good ad you should try their set menu with speciality fish and amazing sweet sticky rice served in a sort of pastry balloon. However, food did get a bit samey after 3 days. Pool was adequate if a bit plain. Service needs improvement insofar as lacked initiative and some language comprehension barriers. The GM is American so he should be able to sort this out.
We were very happy that the hotel was nearly empty but the GM reckons they are 70% tour operator booked next year. The spa is yet to open.

Room Tip: Lakeside bungalows cheaper and quieter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 755martinw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Vietnamese first
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Had the most amazing lunch here. The staff were superb. It's way out but fantastic location if you want to tour the Mekong delta and cai be is an amazing place to visit to see the real Vietnam.
The place was spotlessly clean and the staff so helpful.
River trip is a must do

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank LandBG
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Influenced by reviews on Booking.com and Tripadvisor.com, we selected this resort for a 2-day stay and were not disappointed. We traveled by private car with driver, booked in HCMC. Nice location of the bungalows, directly along the Mekong river. Boat trips can be arranged by the hotel to visit the Cai Be floating market nearby. Bicycles are available at no charge. The reosrt has a nicely landscaped garden (with own organic production of fruits, vegetables and fish! used in the restaurant). Very friendly staff, although English language capability is limited and some patience required. Between our stay in Can Tho - Victoria Resort and the Mekong Riverside Resort, we preferred the latter, due to its location, natural surroundings, and better value for money. Cai Be village is some distance from the resort, about 20 minutes by bicycle, and the village is much smaller than Can Tho. The spa facility was not open during our stay. The swimming pool looked nice, but we did not use it.

Room Tip: Recommend to choose one of the riverside villas, close to the restaurant.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Innsbruck, Austria
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The resort is run very well by a hands-on GM who is always visible and around and very customer focused. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Location is great for experiencing the Mekong Delta and its surrounding. Food is very well presented and delicious. Great pool. Rooms are clean with several villas being directly on the river with great views and unforgettable sun sets. Overall an impeccable experience.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank 1Helmut1
London
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This place is quite far off the beaten track but it is worth the detour. It is quite new (hence parts, like the spa, are a work in progress and the staff are just getting to grips with the horrors of the English language. The wifi is a bit wobbly) but it sits well in the landscape, right on the edge of the river, and surrounded by lovely trees and gardens. We had one of the bungalows on the river's edge so we had a grandstand view of the working river - boats and barges, large and small, 24/7 but not intrusive because the sound proofing works.
The pool is good, there are bikes and kayaks for the adventurous and trips out and about available. Food is fine and reasonably priced (although don't expect a cheap wine list - this far out wine has to travel a long way and bulk buy isn't an option).
Charles, the young American manager, is the only westerner in the village - and beyond - and he is working hard to bring in the visitors. Selfishly, we really enjoyed it at a very quiet moment!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Livingston, Montana
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This past January, 2013 I desperately needed a break from the craziness of Hanoi where I was living at the time. I knew I wanted to head somewhere in southern Vietnam; somewhere with sunny skies, warm days, and a lot less people.
I'm not really even sure how I stumbled upon the Mekong Riverside Resort, but I am SO glad that I did!
The resort is tucked away in a tropical forest-like atmosphere, just a few miles from the small town of Cai Be (a very cool, non-touristy town). The minute I arrived I knew I would find the relaxation I was looking for. The bungalows all offered a view of either the Mekong River or of a beautiful lily pond that is surrounded by flowering plants and trees. The staff was very welcoming and helpful with all my questions and needs. At the time of my stay, the only westerners working (and living) there were Charles, the General Manager, and Courtney, the Marketing Manager, otherwise it was a completely Vietnamese staff - this, I really liked.
The resort offered free bikes to use if you would like to ride into the town of Cai Be (which I highly suggest), kayaks to use either on the pond or the river, and fishing poles to see how good you are at catching your own fish for dinner. I only used the bikes, and was lucky enough to be able to join the GM, Charles, on a ride into the town. Cai Be is not a tourist town at all, so you really get a feel of the "real" Vietnam. Amazing.
I was disappointed to learn that the spa was not up and going yet. They still needed to find a massage therapist, from what I understood. I was really looking forward to that, so that was a bummer, but was at least happy to see that their pool was inviting; I spent many hours at it's side.
The restaurant has a great atmosphere as well. It looks out onto the Mekong River, with interesting boats going by all the time. It was so relaxing to sit on the restaurant deck with a cocktail, watching the life of the Delta go by. The food was fab! I was never disappointed with anything that I ordered, and I was there for a full 7 days. The service was a bit lacking; the restaurant staff seeming like they really weren't sure what to do next - they really look perplexed quite often (however, always with smiles on their faces). Even tough I didn't mind this too much, I could see where some people might get a bit impatient with them. Apparently, much of the staff was still in training at that point, so that explained a lot. I actually was served the wrong dish a few times, like completely wrong, but decided to keep it anyway - and it would turn out to be delicious! Again, I could see how this may annoy some people, but I was just happy to be out of the craziness of Hanoi, and in this tropical paradise with people smiling at me, and the sun shining down on me....even if I had to wait too long to have the wrong dish served to me.
Even though I was there solo, it seemed like a great place for couples, and for families. I strongly recommend the Mekong Riverside Resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank prataria
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We booked a riverside bungalow, what a perfect way to experience the Mekong, we simply sat on the balcony and watched the people of the Mekong go about their daily routines.Our bungalow was beautifully decorated, clean, the attention to detail was incredible, and appreciated. The restaurant and staff were lovely, food was good and surprisingly inexpensive, the banana leaf salad was a hit. I would advise booking your floating market tour through the resort, we did, it was very professional & informative, they also took us through the local village. This place is an absolute credit to the management.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 14 in Vinh Long
Mekong Rustic Lodge
Mekong Rustic Lodge
#4 of 5 in Cai Be

Been to Mekong Riverside Boutique Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!