“Simeulue's Best”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pulau Simeulue
Moon Beach Resort Simeulue
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The Service at Moon Beach was fantastic, Don and his family are very welcoming people along with all staff members. It is an extremely relaxed vibe thought out the resort and is set up fantastically for all types of Travelers. The food was fantastic along with the accommodation.
As for the surf, the resort is located in the best spot on the island for access to all the waves.. It really does have waves suited to all levels. I would highly recommend staying at moon beach.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jesselalic

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed at Moon Beach Resort for a couople of weeks and I found it to be one of the most peaceful well run resorts on the Island, the food was fantastic and the sevice was excellent. The Resort is the best positioned out of all the camps as it sits in the middle of all the main breaks,also the beach out front can get some fun wedges. The owner Don is very knowlegeable in all aspects of Simelue and all things Indo, take the time to have a couple of drinks with him as he has some great stories from over 20 years spent working in and around Indo.
Simeulue is the perfect surf trip for that person who wants to see whats around the next corner as there is hundreds of arount the next corners, there are literally waves everywhere.
$$$ best value on the Island

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Indo5656
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The service at moon beach was fabulous, the food, comfort and overall presentation were high quality. Although not completely finished building yet I expect upon completion this resort will undoubtedly take off. In terms of surf it is centre for all main reefs north and south and when the swell is up the beaches out the front are great fun. I was thoroughly satisfied with my stay at moon beach and am looking forward to my next visit!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Alexrobertson3
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great and friendly staff, excellent and personal service and professionally run.

Very nice location in a well kept garden overlooking a beautiful beach that stretches for kilometres. The nicest bungalow in Simeulue by far and a very comfortable tent under roof arrangement where we stayed.

Food is excellent.

We rented a scooter with a board rack, which is an very good way of exploring the island. I arrived without surfboards, but Don was very helpful and arranged for me to rent a board.

A good idea for the resort is to have some stand-up boards, short boards, kayak and other equipement for rent (which today is almost impossible to find in the Aceh region).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jacob W
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Firstly, I had a great stay at moon beach thanks to Don & his wife and their small, friendly crew of staff. As per the previous review by Evan B, I will split the review into 2 sections also.
Ironically my review is pretty much a carbon copy of his !!
My stay was for a little under 3 weeks.

Accommodation - I stayed in the safari tent, as per Evans comments I was a little suspicious of what it'd be like, but definitely surprised on the upside. It was definitely better quality than a lot of losmen I've stayed in other parts of indo.
The tents are large, spacious and fitted out like a little room, with permanent based beds, fans, a good quality mattress and linen. Also the linen was changed every few days which is great in a warm, humid place like Sumatra.
The food is great, 3 square meals a day and plenty of it. A nice mix of western and indo style dishes, make sure you try a rendang curry.
Otherwise the place functions well, Don and his staff were able to cater to requests as required.
Also had a look thru the villa, very nicely built and fitted out and a great deal at the price.
The only issues I had was some nightly noise from the mosque up the road, as it was the end of Ramadan.
Also, tho it didn't effect me, women who visit need to be aware of the dress code required when venturing away from the resort.

Surf - Well I must say Evan (from the previous review) I agree with you totally regarding the waves. The only difference being that you probably had better wind conditions.
During my stay we received quite a few westerly storms, which albeit a bit out of season, it is the tropics and often fairly unpredictable wind. We did have plenty of swell tho.
As for the waves, yes it is uncrowded, particularly compared with places like Bali, which I haven't surfed for over 10yrs because of the ridiculously crowded line-ups.
Fortunately I live somewhere where its rare to surf with more than 10 people out.
The most I surfed with was maybe 6 guys at the peak, which was fine. I did however see Dylan's a little more populated, but I bypassed it for a less crowded option, and really I don't think I was missing out on much, a pretty disappointing wave I thought.
Checked out teabags (radical) and thailands (a bit fat). Also surfed a number of other spots including some ok beachy's and reef/beach points, but unfortunately they all seem a little flawed.
Undoubtedly they all fire on their day, but i'm not too sure how often that day is....
So yeah, in a nutshell, if you yearn to escape the crowds and don't mind surfing a bit of mixed bag quality, or if your a hard charger that likes paddling out at gnarly unknown peaks by yourself, this might be the place for you.

Thanks again to Don and his staff for looking after me so well. Semoga Sukses.
Cheers
Doug

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank congo05
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Sorry for the crazy long review! Lots to say about this place to get the full picture... I spent ten days on Simeulue in July and lucked into one of those perfectly set up dry season indo swells that went from 3' to 8' and back down again over the course of my stay. Period was 15-20 seconds and winds were light every day.

I will break this review into two sections: accommodation then surf. Just to give you an idea of my perspective, I've been surfing for twenty years and have taken in all types of waves and accommodation in my many years of surf travel. I grew up surfing in Scotland and now live near the Gold Coast - so I know what a crowd is/isn't. I've surfed many of the planet's great waves from Jbay to Desert point. I've been to Indo 6 times before this trip; Bali x4, Lombok, Sumbawa.

Firstly, accommodation.
In a word, superb. I went for MBR's cheaper tent option at $35 a night including meals. I wasn't sure what to expect so I just booked the first few nights planning to move on if it was too sketchy. It went way beyond my expectations and I paid for the rest of the trip on the first night. The 'tent' area is actually a solid timber A frame structure keeping the elements at bay, with two huge tents inside. There's hardwood furniture and clean + well built shower / toilet facilities. You have ample storage, power sockets and a fan over your comfortable bed. I normally hate tents, having done a lot of my surf travel in a large camper van, but I loved this. The food was perfect too. Fresh fruit juice, coffee and eggs for breakfast and then three courses for lunch and dinner. Lots of locally caught seafood and traditional indo dishes cooked to perfection. I got a chance to spend some time in the more expensive villas - these are the best quality resort accommodation on the island by far. The other resorts are charging WAY more for what are essentially woven bamboo frame houses with shared toilets. This is a step up.

Surf.
I came out on my own to check out the waves ahead of a bigger group trip for my 40th birthday in 2014. Simeulue is a great place to come to get lots of waves and take in relatively unspoiled natural surroundings. It's important to be clear from the start though: some of the resort websites are claiming uncrowded world class waves. Both of those claims are a bit of a stretch. There are no truly world class waves on the island - just a decent number of good waves. If you're picturing yourself as Gerry Lopez turning up in Bali in the '70s - forget it. There are 3 new resorts going in for 2014 and the place was already pretty busy when I was there. I also saw some suggestions that the north of the island was unexplored - not true, all the key spots are mapped out and the best waves are down in a concentrated area where all the resorts are / are going to be. The peak out front of aura is a quality wave; powerful takeoff, goes left and right but shuts down a lot and shifts around a fair bit. This actually works to its advantage since it can handle a pack of ten surfers without too much trouble. Everyone in the water was ultra friendly and happy to be sharing surf in the sunshine. But if you're looking at the photos on Aura's website and thinking it looks a bit like Lakey Peak, trust me it just isn't. A really good wave but there's none of the mechanical perfection suggested in the pics! You'll surf here most days and make day trips by scooter or car to try out other spots and look for variety.

Dylan's is the best wave on the island. I checked it three times and saw a crowd of 20+ surfers on the best day, then 15 when it was a touch too small. It has a defined take off and a beautiful barrel, the result being a lot of hassling and people pushing too deep and wasting waves. There are two resorts being built at Dylan's in addition to the one already there. Whenever I faced a choice like this, I surfed elsewhere and scored good waves alone or with a couple of others out. You definitely can find uncrowded waves on Simeulue, just not the best ones. Thailands for example, I surfed with two out in 4' glass, but it's a fat take off followed by lots of cutbacks and a close out onto coral. Great fun, but be ready to surf lots of good waves rather than great waves. The highlight for me was Teabags, a freight train right on an offshore island. (see photo) The drive/boat takes about an hour and I went on the big day which was 2-3 x overhead and glassy. This is a very fast and sectiony wave - I got a nice stand up tube and a few solid kickings. There was nobody out, the near-dry coral on the inside puts a lot of people off. I saw this wave described as world class - but IMHO it's just too sketchy and unpredictable to justify that title. I surfed about 5 other spots on the island including a decent beachbreak right out front of MBR.

Overall, I got LOTS of waves and had a blast - the island and the locals are carefree and friendly and MBR was way beyond my expectations. Just go expecting good waves and a few surfers rather than uncrowded perfection and you will score.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Euan B
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This island is really undeveloped in terms of tourism but i could not have wanted for more than what received in booking this resort. Don and his lovely wife El , the girls Amoi , Suzi and the adorable young Jasmin not to mention the ever reliable Mamaan the boy Friday for want of a better term are all just lovely and nothing is too much trouble. This is really frontier travelling at the moment but they all just make it easy. If you like a bit of an adventure holiday with all the info and help you could need and a friendly face at the end of each day not to mention the 3 good meals every day without even having to ask , then this is a nice little adventure where you get to see the beautiful simplicity of of the very humble and friendly people who reside on this island . Oh and lets not forget the great surf which they have all the info on.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jeffymac

Been to Moon Beach Resort Simeulue? Share your experiences!