“Go!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aura Surf Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pulau Simeulue
Aura Surf Resort
San Clemente, California
“Go!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

If you don't like surfing uncrowded, world-class, powerful waves in warm water, surrounded by lush, tropical jungle don't go to Aura; however, if you're like me and spend your life in search of such perfection then do whatever it takes to get to this unmatched perfection.

I have dedicated a lifetime to search out the perfect setup. In that quest I've surfed on every continent and in all honesty I really don't think I could accurately list all the places I've been. From living above a garage at J Bay, renting a hammock between two trees in Ecuador, pitching a tent on the beach in Panama to staying at "upscale" yuppie places like Tavarua and Lohifushi (Maldives), I'm sure it's safe to say that I've probably seen as much of the known surf spots around this planet as anyone short of sponsored pros.

But to say the very least, Aura is in league all its own. My buddy and I went there in late March - early April and both of us had an incredible time. As luck would have it, I (stupidly) injured myself four days in, but as a testimony to how impressive this place is, I still had an unforgettable experience! Andy (the owner of the resort) jumped right in and made absolutely sure that I was patched up (he did it himself!), safe, and comfortable. He and his staff were so attentive that I swear I've never felt so looked after (this despite the fact that we were way out on an island with scant medical facilities).

The food is more than adequate and there's always plenty of it - you'll actually be served four meals a day and there's always something to eat; it's very casual and you'll even find yourself skipping meals for lack of room in your stomach.

This place is a surfing destination - from the time you wake up until you fall into your (comfortable) bed, the entire day is about surfing and the full crew, from cooks to guides, are dedicated to finding the very best adventure and waves for any given conditions and/or surfing experience. The guide's are the best I've personally experienced - they rotate but Andy definitely knows how to pick 'em. (If you go this season, 2014, you'll meet Josh; this kid is a superb human being and wise beyond his years. He's top-knotch and you'll see what I mean).

Wow - just proofread this thing before sending it off and it sounds like an advertisement. But you know what? I'm not going to change a word... Aura is that cool! If you don't go you're missing an experience that you'll tell stories about when you get my age (you can use you're imagination on that one).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank 314Ric01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

The trip i took to Aura surf resort was the best surf trip iv,e been on. My guide Jonny Seiford made that so.Jonny is a very special person, his knowledge of the sea, weather conditions, and over all awareness of the island was great. He took me to places I would of never found on my own. he was a great surf companion and became a friend. Without him for me the trip would not have been the same. I'm glad we met. sincerely Jonathan Collins

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Jonathan C
Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

Had a great time !! Beautiful Island amazing location with the A-frame peak out front. I dont think we ever had more than 4 people in the water. The crew looked after me a treat a big thanks to Drew , Ross , Matty , Chef you lads all rock. A special thanks to my surf guide Jonny for putting together that video to remember my trip , for analizing my surfing and all the great tips , for judging the wind , tide , swell and always putting us where we needed to be to get the best out of the conditions and for being a top bloke !! You the man Jonny thanks brother !!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Tim L
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Aura is a great place to go if you are looking for the Adventure type of surf trip.I was traveling alone and when I first arrived I scored the peak to myself. This is a fantastic wave when it's small I can only imagine how good it gets when it's bigger.

Being by my self I had to be confident to fit in with rest of the of the guests plans. Being the friendl sorta guy that I am I had no problems with that.

The crew at Aura were very friendly and accommodating to your every need. Like asking you where you wanna surf today and organising bikes ,boats or cars for the trip.Packing lunch and snacks drinks for the days journey. To organising local SIM cards and setting up you're phone for you.

I didn't get the best luck with swell, however on smaller days out the front it was overhead or even double overhead at other spots, like K Hole and Power lines.
Scored two awesome surfs at K Hole and got one of the longest barrels of my life.

I didn't get a chance to surf Dylan's or No Matts or Thia Lands ( swell was wrong direction for these spots) but had a ball riding around the Island searching for waves and just taking in the atmosphere of the secluded location.The locals wer very friendly waving and saying "HELLO MR" to you as you rode past them.

The food is awesome and there was always plenty. I never went hungry the whole week I was there.

The accommodaition was comfortable with a great view of the peak and of the sunset.
Although hot showers would be nice.

I enjoyed my time here and am hoping to return in the future.

Tim TBONE Booth.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Tim-TBONE-Booth
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

If you are looking for a remote surf experience with great waves, service and authentic bungalow accommodation, you cant go past Aura. Simeulue has plenty of options with plenty more still to be found. Probably as close to being in Bali during the 70s. It went above and beyond what I was expecting and I hope to get back there one day soon.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Mitchy226
Half Moon Bay, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

If you love adventure and want to experience pristine and untouched waves of Indo, Aura is the spot for you. I stayed at Aura during the first few weeks in July 2013, through one of the worst flat spells in Indo history (or at least in the past few years) and I still had an awesome trip and scored waves every day! To start with, the crew at Aura is phenomenal. All the surf guides, Jeff and Ecca in particular, are super knowledgeable about the waves and are quick to get you pumped up and send you on your way to the best waves. Andy, the owner, radiates his stoke and positive energy that makes you happy with your decision to step off the grid to come here. Ross and the rest of the crew are so very accommodating, and Ryan the photographer is hands down the best photographer ever! The composition, the lighting, the colors; everything about his photos is amazing. The resort itself is great, the grounds are tidy and safe, and the rooms are clean and comfortable with nice views of the peak. As for waves... WOW! There are so many options for different kinds of waves, for all different conditions, and for all levels of skill. You can find slabby tubes, reeling points, peaky beach breaks, rippable faces; there's something for everyone. One of my favorite parts about Aura is that so much of the island is still untouched and adventure is around every corner! Two spots were even discovered, surfed for the first time, and named while we were there. So really, the wave possibilities are endless. The peak out front is an awesome "go to" wave, and so many other pumping waves are accessible by bike or boat. Sometimes it took a while to get to other spots by bike, but quality of waves and lack of crowds were totally and entirely worth it. Aura could probably benefit from getting a few more bikes with racks and maybe another car for airport pickups, but all in all everything was great. Thank you Aura crew, I can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Maile J
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Myself and 3 mates traveled to Aura from 22nd to the 31st August. This was a trip of a lifetime filled with so many memories that I will be back sooner rather than later!
Ross was a champ and made sure all was well with us everyday, Jeff took us everywhere and anywhere and made sure each surf was brilliant. Ian and Tyde were also great and very friendly with the time we spent with them.
Chef Greg cooked a great feed that hardly ever touched the sides as it was inhaled down my throat. He was also great company to sit and have a chat to after a days surfing.
Brian the photographer was a real character and actually made me look I could surf in the photos he took of me.....GENIUS!!
We surfed 'the peak' every day which was the best wave I have ever surfed. Some days it was just my mates out with 4-5' perfect barrels. Dylans was a magic wave on the day we surfed it and 'powerlines' gave us the adrenalin rush that comes with being out in big perfect indonesian waves.
With a few of us not having rode motorcycles before we used the car everyday, there was always one free and we never had to wait. There was always bikes free as well so you would never be left at the resort wanting to go somewhere.
The bungalows are clean and comfortable and you are asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow.
It was a great experience and one that was made all the better by the staff at Aura, if your thinking of going here all I can say is book now!
Thanks to Ross and the Crew for such an amazing holiday, cant wait to see you guys again.
cheers,
The 4 aussies.

Room Tip: Every room looked sweet, a view straight out into the Indian Ocean