“Can't wait to surf here again.”
Review of Aura Surf Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pulau Simeulue
Aura Surf Resort
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Can't wait to surf here again.”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Aura is a great place to go if you are looking for the Adventure type of surf trip.I was traveling alone and when I first arrived I scored the peak to myself. This is a fantastic wave when it's small I can only imagine how good it gets when it's bigger.

Being by my self I had to be confident to fit in with rest of the of the guests plans. Being the friendl sorta guy that I am I had no problems with that.

The crew at Aura were very friendly and accommodating to your every need. Like asking you where you wanna surf today and organising bikes ,boats or cars for the trip.Packing lunch and snacks drinks for the days journey. To organising local SIM cards and setting up you're phone for you.

I didn't get the best luck with swell, however on smaller days out the front it was overhead or even double overhead at other spots, like K Hole and Power lines.
Scored two awesome surfs at K Hole and got one of the longest barrels of my life.

I didn't get a chance to surf Dylan's or No Matts or Thia Lands ( swell was wrong direction for these spots) but had a ball riding around the Island searching for waves and just taking in the atmosphere of the secluded location.The locals wer very friendly waving and saying "HELLO MR" to you as you rode past them.

The food is awesome and there was always plenty. I never went hungry the whole week I was there.

The accommodaition was comfortable with a great view of the peak and of the sunset.
Although hot showers would be nice.

I enjoyed my time here and am hoping to return in the future.

Tim TBONE Booth.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Tim-TBONE-Booth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 27, 2013

If you are looking for a remote surf experience with great waves, service and authentic bungalow accommodation, you cant go past Aura. Simeulue has plenty of options with plenty more still to be found. Probably as close to being in Bali during the 70s. It went above and beyond what I was expecting and I hope to get back there one day soon.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Mitchy226
Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed September 5, 2013

If you love adventure and want to experience pristine and untouched waves of Indo, Aura is the spot for you. I stayed at Aura during the first few weeks in July 2013, through one of the worst flat spells in Indo history (or at least in the past few years) and I still had an awesome trip and scored waves every day! To start with, the crew at Aura is phenomenal. All the surf guides, Jeff and Ecca in particular, are super knowledgeable about the waves and are quick to get you pumped up and send you on your way to the best waves. Andy, the owner, radiates his stoke and positive energy that makes you happy with your decision to step off the grid to come here. Ross and the rest of the crew are so very accommodating, and Ryan the photographer is hands down the best photographer ever! The composition, the lighting, the colors; everything about his photos is amazing. The resort itself is great, the grounds are tidy and safe, and the rooms are clean and comfortable with nice views of the peak. As for waves... WOW! There are so many options for different kinds of waves, for all different conditions, and for all levels of skill. You can find slabby tubes, reeling points, peaky beach breaks, rippable faces; there's something for everyone. One of my favorite parts about Aura is that so much of the island is still untouched and adventure is around every corner! Two spots were even discovered, surfed for the first time, and named while we were there. So really, the wave possibilities are endless. The peak out front is an awesome "go to" wave, and so many other pumping waves are accessible by bike or boat. Sometimes it took a while to get to other spots by bike, but quality of waves and lack of crowds were totally and entirely worth it. Aura could probably benefit from getting a few more bikes with racks and maybe another car for airport pickups, but all in all everything was great. Thank you Aura crew, I can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Maile J
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Myself and 3 mates traveled to Aura from 22nd to the 31st August. This was a trip of a lifetime filled with so many memories that I will be back sooner rather than later!
Ross was a champ and made sure all was well with us everyday, Jeff took us everywhere and anywhere and made sure each surf was brilliant. Ian and Tyde were also great and very friendly with the time we spent with them.
Chef Greg cooked a great feed that hardly ever touched the sides as it was inhaled down my throat. He was also great company to sit and have a chat to after a days surfing.
Brian the photographer was a real character and actually made me look I could surf in the photos he took of me.....GENIUS!!
We surfed 'the peak' every day which was the best wave I have ever surfed. Some days it was just my mates out with 4-5' perfect barrels. Dylans was a magic wave on the day we surfed it and 'powerlines' gave us the adrenalin rush that comes with being out in big perfect indonesian waves.
With a few of us not having rode motorcycles before we used the car everyday, there was always one free and we never had to wait. There was always bikes free as well so you would never be left at the resort wanting to go somewhere.
The bungalows are clean and comfortable and you are asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow.
It was a great experience and one that was made all the better by the staff at Aura, if your thinking of going here all I can say is book now!
Thanks to Ross and the Crew for such an amazing holiday, cant wait to see you guys again.
cheers,
The 4 aussies.

Room Tip: Every room looked sweet, a view straight out into the Indian Ocean
1 Thank Jamie B
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Having just returned from a stay at Aura, all I can say is that they will never get any of my money again and to be honest, I want some of it back !!
To be fair we had some pretty good surf but had to work for it as there was no transport available to us which could adequately accommodate, we had to chase cars on mopeds and the “guides” were not engaged and clueless about what might be working if their “back yard break” wasn’t.
I understand that storms happen, sands shift which changes the way a wave breaks , prevailing weather changes what is going to be “working” but surely given that Aura isn’t located in the trade winds, these changing conditions are something which they constantly deal with. Amazingly they are completely ill equipped to cope with this circumstance – something that must happen a lot. They had the CAMP (not resort) established for years and haven’t even bothered to log wind, swell, location information which would enable them to “guide” their guests. It seems like they just don’t care about making your experience everything it could be
I have surfed on all but one continent, stayed in places a lot better and places a lot worse than Aura but never have I been so completely mislead by all sources as to the quality of accommodation, surf, staff.........
Take your money and spend it in the Maldives, Mentawais, Papua New Guinea, Sri Lanka or even Fiji, you’ll get better accommodation, food, hospitality, advice on prevailing conditions and you’ll get it for the same or a better price.
It felt like these guys were on holidays and we were paying for the privilege to spend a few days with them – they need to learn that just ‘cause they have the perfect break in the back yard, that they cant afford to ignore the other basics which travelling surfers expect from places like this for our hard earned cash.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
7 Thank DVP30R
AURASR, Owner at Aura Surf Resort, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.
We are glad you experienced some of the great waves Aura and its surroundings has to offer.

The island is 150 km long and does require some travel if conditions are not right for the close by waves. We have just purchased a 9 seater mini van to add to our fleet, combining with our 7 seater car and our 5 scooters, a 9m speedboat ( due back in the water this week after necessary service ) and a 3 man zodiac , ensuring that there is more than enough transport for all guests.

The weather has been uncharacteristically turbulent for this time of the year across many parts of Indonesia. Our guides are experienced, aware of the conditions and what are the most suitable options for the 15+ waves in the area. They also DO keep an active log book recording the details of all favorable and unfavorable conditions.

Price wise we are positioned accordingly in our market place with other surf accommodation within the Sumatran Island chain. We are also priced to reflect the no - low crowd factor.

We appreciate the time you took to offer your review. We do take all feedback constructively and use it to improve the experiences we can offer to new and returning guests.
Kind regards
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Based on a number of reviews from August 2013, guests have mixed reactions to their time at Aura. My two buddies and I had an awesome August trip, but that doesn't mean we never had some down time waiting for conditions to improve. Waves were in great abundance, but some passing storms made it tricky finding the best spots. That's the nature of the beast, not a reflection of the Aura crew who were most accommodating in helping us score good waves. Listen to Jeff and Ross and they'll get you to the best waves of the day. Piss and moan that it's not Bali then you need to ask yourself why you got off the Indo grid in the first place. When you're surfing with little to no crowd, expect to experience some adventure. In fact, isn't the adventure an added bonus to scoring great waves?

The Aura crew works hard to please their guests. Greg cooks better than anyone's mom and the guides always know where's best on all sizes/winds. Three trip highlights: 1) naming a previously unridden spot, now known as Jimmy Naritas; 2) paddling out to No Mats with a slew of super stoked groms enjoying a post-Ramadan beach feast and surrounding us with curious joy when we paddled out and back in - straight out of Endless Summer; 3) Secret Island dream session with Tyde the Guide. This surf trip was one I'll never forget and appreciate the the Aura crew for making it happen. Aloha, Boys!

1 Thank mcvanlear
AURASR, Owner at Aura Surf Resort, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive review!
We are stoked you guys had an amazing trip and appreciated the beauty of the island, the quality of the accommodation and the service of your hosts.
We look forward to having you back.
Sanur, Bali
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Aura resort is the quintessential place to really get off grid and explore some serious surf, and do it right. The accommodations are top notch and comfortable with lots of places to lounge. The vibe is relaxed, the service amazing and the food delicious and plentiful. Everything about this resort is geared toward making your surf trip truly once in a lifetime, and you won’t meet a better crew of surf stoked gentlemen around than Andy, Jeff, Tyde, and Greg the chef and Bryan the photog, along with the other few friendships you’re likely to make with other surfers all indulging in the same lucid dream that is surfing Simeulue.

Here's what you find at Similue- untouched pristine coastline with a new beach break, reef, point, outside bombs, and river mouths unnamed and unsurfed around just about every bend. There are countless waves littered along some of the most beautiful, undeveloped coastline in Indonesia, but the 20 or so named spots will keep you plenty busy until you decide to go find your own.

I’m lucky to say that in eight days we SCORED with surf. Simeulu gets a lot of swell, but also doesn’t lie in the trade-wind area so at any point in the day you can generally catch waves at The Peak-right out front- or go explore any of the little nuggs you saw from the plane coming in either by motorbike or Zodiak boat, without worrying too much about wind. For us, this meant surf anytime of day and the ability to explore other islands or lesser known breaks whenever. The whole area is truly a treasure chest of worldclass surf and the only goal for the guides at Aura is to make sure you can enjoy the island to the maximum and with every tool at your disposal. When I snapped my board, Ian (one of the main guides and just all around solid dude) lent me his personal board as he was just exiting the water and I was treated to some of the best sunset barrels in my life. That's just the type of guys they are… they want you to have the best time in your life because that's what they’re doing too!

But no one can push you into the wave of your lifetime; you have to be willing to turn and go! I’ve read some of the negative reviews and I will say that this island is RAW in every respect… the waves are world class and can go from playful to red-hot seriousness seemingly in minutes, and if you’re a less-experienced surfer (but moreover, a less-experienced traveler) and you aren’t willing to put in the work to find a wave you would be comfortable with, or if you get an unlucky run of swell, you could come away bummed with the wrong attitude. Everything about accessing and living in this part of the world is an adventure, no doubt about it. Thats why I was drawn there. But Aura brings it all together in a way that allows you to just be the guest to some of Indonesia’s last kept secrets and get as deep into it as you want to.

I can’t write enough about how my stay at Aura tapped into my dream of an un-crowded, perfect, warm, beautiful surfing experience and made it an indelible memory. But I can say that the accommodations are just what I wanted, the food was great, the atmosphere laid back and the surf stellar. Aura is the place that allowed me to enjoy the waves I’ll be dreaming about until I find another way to get back to Simeulue.

2 Thank Wydaddy
AURASR, Owner at Aura Surf Resort, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thanks for the great review.

It was a pleasure having you stay.

We're glad you scored great waves and had such a memorable trip. We look forward to having you and other like minded surfers stay with us anytime.

All the Best!
Playground Surf Resort
#2 of 2 in Pulau Masokut
Sumatra Surf Resort
Freddies Santai Sumurtiga

Been to Aura Surf Resort? Share your experiences!