“Lovely Weekend Break”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cumnock
Rossendale, United Kingdom
“Lovely Weekend Break”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We were in Scotland for the Ayr Gold Cup meeting and finding a hotel in Ayr at a reasonable cost for this weekend is nigh impossible. After looking at TA for hotels near Ayr we found this little gem 20 mins away in Cumnock.
I must say when we saw the hotel from the outside we were instantly filled with trepidation as to quite honest it looks a dump, my other half refused to get the bags out of the car until we had seen the room.
Once inside the hotel, it's obvious alot of money has already been spent on an extensive refurb (I just hope they get round to finishing off on the outside).
The main rooms are clean and modern and the rooms are lovely with a good sized bathroom.
The water pressure for the shower is a problem but it wouldn't put me off staying here again.
We dined in the hotel 2 evenings and the food was good, not earth shattering but good non the less. The wine menu is very limited though.
The best thing about this hotel though is the staff, they were excellent right down to the night porter, nothing was too much trouble for them and apart from one female member of staff on the Sat evening who seemed to have left her smile at home, they were all tip top.
There isn't much to do in Cumnock, it's a pleasant enough little town but should we be at Ayr races again we would stay here without doubt

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank gailbrown100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My wife and I stayed with the Royal hotel in Cumnock over night on the 1st of August 2011. we had a double room with breakfast. the hotel was very easy to find and with free on site parking off the main street it was really handy. We were in a bit of a rush and we went into the hotel at the bar entrance. We were quickly and politley taken upstairs to the hotel by a really nice member of staff. The reception staff were friendly and effectient and we checked in within minutes. We had room 8 and it was amazing. The room was more of a suite than a room. With a walk in dressing room, bathroom and bedroom it was massive. It had all the usual mod cons, flat screen digital t.v on wall, kettle, alarm clock and fully stocked bathroom. It was extremley clean and very comfy. The bed was nice and big and really comfy. As i was getting ready i realised i had forgotten my belt, so i phoned reception and the guy took his black belt off and gave it to me for the night! A life saver! He didnt argue or moan at all, he was so quick to help out. Really nice guy.

We then headed out to a wedding for the night. On our return a member of staff was waiting at the door for us and welcomed us into the hotel. He was very chatty for that time of night and made sure we had everything we needed. Back in our room we decided to order room service. My wife wanted something that wasnt on the room service menu, so we called reception and no questions asked it was no problem at all. The sandwich was sent up within 10mins with a lovley side salad. It was very nice and my wife enjoyed it. We then settled in and had a very good nights sleep as the room was fitted with blackout curtins.

Breakfast was served between 7am and 10am. We turned up at 9:45ish and there was a really helpful guy waiting on us. We had a nice table in the resteraunt with a good choice of ceral and juice. Cooked breakfast was 1st class and the service was quick.

We checked out and felt well fead, well rested and over the moon with our stay.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone! Amazing stay.

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank carkley83
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I stayed in the Royal last July as I was getting married in the sister hotel Lochside House just along the road and stayed in the Royal the night before.

We had arranged for a large party of guests from futher afield to stay the night before our wedding too, we had a few changes of guests and some cancellations and the hotel staff handled this with the utmost professionalism and efficiency.

Quite a few of us were later in getting to the hotel that night between traffic and last minute wedding plans and unfortunately the kitchens closed for dinner about half an hour before we arrived. However, the hotel were more than happy to provide us with the room service menu and have it served in the restuarant area so we could all eat together which was excellent.

The hotel really is a hidden gem, on the outside it looks like just a standard building but on the inside it is decorated to the highest standard and is immaculately clean, each room is a different size and shape and quite quirky which we loved. My sister and I stayed in the big family room with two double beds which felt like a real luxurious treat the night before my wedding, it was more than big enough to hold all of our wedding attire and had a lovely big bathroom.

I had booked my wedding hair appointment at the salon across the road for 10am, and as I went to check out I realised my now husband had accidentally given me his bank card and had taken mine so I was unable to pay on checkout oops. The staff were amazing, they allowed me a late check out so that my mum and sister could get everything down from the room and along to Lochside while I was getting my hair done and my husband could run along with my bank card (he was already at Lochside) and were just lovely about the whole thing.

We had the whole hotel booked out again the night of our wedding for our guests as so many wanted to stay we had already filled the rooms at Lochside. Again all of our guests were thrilled with the Royal and were very impressed with the standard of service and rooms.

The only possible thing I could complain about is that it was a bit noisy from the street the night we stayed and as I obviously wasn't finding sleeping very easy that night anyway I was woken up a fair few times by shouting in the street. The hotel is on a main road so it is completely to be expected and no fault of the hotel's at all but if staying on a weekend earplugs might be a good idea.

Room Tip: If looking for a bit more luxury go for the family room
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank jeniwren21
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2010

We were attending a wedding at one of the affiliated hotels nearby. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and offered to call taxis for us. The night porter even waited for us by the door on our return!

Both the room and en suite were very spacious. Decent furniture & decor. It was a bit chilly at check in but delightfully warm in the evening, great for the snowy weather.

About the location, we went for a walk and there wasn't a great deal around. There is a customer car park (fantastic!), but you'll need to keep your eyes peeled for it or you'll have to go round the one way system again. The hotel is opposite a church, which chimed its bells early the next morning (Sunday). I don't know if that is a regular occurence, but the bed was super comfy and I was tired so I just went back to sleep.

The room was furnished with dresser, wardrobe, mirror, a comfy bed, chairs & side tables. Usuals include hairdryer, toiletries, towels, tv (freeview & sky), tea tray. Nice touches include the welcome folder with accessible & useful info and fresh milk for your tea available from the front desk. Minute niggles were the low shower pressure and low lighting in the room by the dresser but nothing to cry about.

Overall, it was a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AnnaSssss
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Nice rooms - uber clean - Best room in my experience is 1 and 4 for suite and Room 2 for standard - avoid Room 7 as too hot (I think above kitchen) and very small - Breakfasts were amazing -Evening meals excellent standard and great value for money - Recommend Brie panini and Cajun chicken salad - Desserts are superb especially sticky toffee pudding - You can have a 3 course meal between 12 to 18.30 for about £11.50 - Staff good but they need more at breakfast time - ASDA nearby for groceries - Only problems I had in the many weeks I stayed there was showers could have more pressure (had baths instead) and TV reception can vary room to room (Freeview)- Overall superb value for money and would recommend it

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank Finster186258
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Glad to see all the positive reviews of this hotel. I was on my bicycle so didn't really have a lot of choice but really found an outstanding place here at the Royal Hotel with outstandng customer service, and one of the nicest rooms I stayed at on my trip. Excellent value as well, and a nice restaurant and bar. Very pleased.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank willc186
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed September 29, 2009

We chose this hotel after reading reviews on Trip Advisor and were not disappointed. We had a little difficulty locating the entrance which is marked 'Rotary Club meets here' and entered through the Sports Bar. Once at reception we found the staff welcoming and were delighted with our room, which was spacious light and airy. the en suite was also very generously proportioned and my only gripe - a minor one - was low water pressure in the shower. As there was also a bath, this did not matter too much.

We were attending a wedding nearby and, returning to the Royal in the early hours of the morning, the service offered was exceptional. 24 hour reception was just that. Drinks from the bar, fresh milk and herbal tea were all provided on request and we got the impression that nothing was too much trouble. The bed was supportive and comfortable and we got a good night's rest despite some noise from the taxi rank and late night revellers ourside. A good Scottish breakfast completed our thoroughly enjoyable stay at this clean and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dampsquib
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cumnock
Dumfries Arms Hotel
Radstone Hotel
Radstone Hotel
#1 of 1 in Larkhall
Western House Hotel

Been to Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!