Dumfries Arms Hotel
Railway Hotel(Auchinleck)
  • Room Service
Foxbar Hotel(Kilmarnock)
View Hotel
All reviewsdumfries armsitison deallovely hotelhoneymoon suitesuperior roomsteak piehigh standardreception areabottle of proseccoafternoon teafirst classbar priceseggs benedictan overnight stayfood was lovelystaff were lovelyreception staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Popped in on the off chance early last Monday evening for a bite to eat.
Very pleasant welcome by the Hotel Receptionist who showed us to a free table in the Restaurant. (It was empty, which surprised me)
A smart young Waiter attended to us immediately and apologised, that, because there was a School Prom going on in the Function Suite, our meals may take a little while. (just as well they weren't packed out)
The food, when it arrived, was special. Hot, attractive to the eye and very tasty.
The Waiter attended to our every need and was close at hand at all times.
Shame the room was empty, as there was no 'ambience' however, the decor was modern, light and obviously new.
If we had to 'complain' it was with the sweets. The ladies both had Strawberry Pavlova Sundaes which were delicious, however, the Spoons supplied were too big to reach the bottom of the glass dishes! We mentioned this to the Lady Owner on the way out and she said she would get smaller spoons in.
Overall, a very satisfactory meal at a very reasonable price.
If the Hotel rooms are as attractive as the rest of the building, I Would definitely recommend a visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
DumfriesArms, General Manager at Dumfries Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

I would like to thank you for your review regarding your dining experience.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your meal and would like to thank you for your kind words regarding both our receptionist and waiter, as well as your comments about the decor.

We have taken on board your comments and we do now have sundae spoons, to allow all gusts to fully enjoy the sundaes.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

We did not stay here. We came only for dinner. The service was friendly but untrained and amateur. We were greeted by "What can we get you guys [we were two women] tonight?" The food was adequate but we did not think there was a proper chef in the kitchen.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hilary43

Thank you for reviewing our hotel.

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience with us.
Most guests tend to compliment the renovation work to the hotel. We do aim to provide a relaxed friendly but efficient service, I apologise if this offended you.
I feel you comments regarding our chefs is unfair, I can ensure you all of our chefs are adequately trained to a high standard.

Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend is writing this review- I bought two afternoon tea vouchers from itison and went along today with some family members. The outing had been booked for over a month but it seemed the hotel was unprepared for the booking and some of what was advertised as on offer as part of the deal was out of stock. The voucher included a glass of prosecco each or you could upgrade to a bottle for a set price, so we decided to upgrade one of the vouchers. When being shown to our seats we were informed that they had run out of prosecco as it normally needs to be booked in advance and the manager would see what else they could offer. I couldn't really understand this as even if we didn't decide to upgrade a glass of prosecco was supposed to be included in the deal anyway. We were then seated at a table which appeared to be covered in salt and not properly set for afternoon tea. We were then offered pink prosecco in place of the ordinary which was accepted however only one voucher was upgraded but we didn't receive our two glasses of prosecco which was included with our second. When the tea came out there wasn't enough sugar on the table and we had to request more. Then when the selection of sandwiches and cake came out we had only been given fruit scones. When I requested a plain scone as that was what was advertised as being a choice, I was advised that they had also run out of them. Overall I was pretty disappointed that they weren't fully prepared for our afternoon tea despite the notice they were given and that we didn't receive everything that was stated as part of the offer. The deal I got appeared to be great but it's only really great if you receive everything that is supposed to be included and unfortunately we didn't. Don't know if I will rush back which is a shame really as the food did look lovely but the service has let it down.

• Stayed: June 2014
DumfriesArms, General Manager at Dumfries Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Thank you for your review.

We were very disappointed to here about your issues during your afternoon tea booking. The voucher included a glass of sparkling wine not a glass of prosecco. Unfortunately the prosecco was out of stock but as suggested if it had been upgraded at time of booking we would have ensured there was a bottle held back for the booking.
Unfortunately it would appear the staff thought the upgrade was for all 4 guests, I apologise for this.
Again I apologise for the kitchen running out of plain scones, our baker makes our scones fresh weekly and it would seem there must have been a high demand as it is unusual for the kitchen to run out of them.
I hope that your experience does not deter you from returning.

Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Went to Dumfries Arms Hotel for afternoon tea with a friend and family, what we had was very nice however I felt it would of been better for the tea to be served at the same time as the sandwiches and cakes but we had at least a 25 min wait leaving our tea cold. My friend and I stayed on for cocktails although very nice I felt there wasn't enough staff on .The hotel is absolutely gorgeous and will definitely return soon .

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for your review.

We have taken on board your comments regarding both your issues and are working on rectifying these issues.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

I have now visited this hotel on at least 8 occasions at different times,lunch and dinner, and very often without booking. The experience was excellent every time.
Always a welcome at reception and escorted to a table. Vert present and professional staff.
The food is well above average and competitively priced for the standard of the place.
Beautifully decorated and well maintained.

Room Tip: Not stayed in.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted you have enjoyed your visits on numerous occasions.

We hope we can share many more occasions.