“Good place but not for breakfast”

Holiday Inn Chicago Oakbrook
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I have stayed here a few nights on business and it is pretty good for the location and price.
The first morning I spent there, I got up and went down to the breakfast buffet. I was expecting either a free of inexpensive buffet and it wound up costing me $16 with the included tip. It wasn't that good and I won't eat breakfast there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Spouse and me stayed on 12/31 for a Luxury by Design NYE party. I was a little skeptical about staying at a Holiday Inn, though my prior experience as limited as it may be, was not the worst. Our room appeared clean and the flat screen TV's were supposedly brand new and had just been installed the day before. Our TV did not work right away and did not look new, but I won't argue it. There were (2) queen beds and a small but adequate bathroom. This hotel is adequate for business and if you have children there is a pool. There were a few problems: 1.) the TV and remote did not work when we arrived and we had to call the front desk twice to get the problem resolved. It took a few minutes, but the maintenance man was very nice. 2.) The carpet is old and needs to be cleaned or replaced. I actually stepped on a small piece of wood found on the carpet - not sure where it came from. Other than that, the beds were pretty comfy and there was a bottle of water, an apple, orange and granola bar left for us as we are Priority Club members. Tip: If you are going to stay at a Holiday Inn and especially if you stay at this hotel chain often, become a Priority Club member. There are perks involved that can add up if you travel often and stay at Holiday Inn properties. Perks include in room snacks (depending on hotel), late check-out, a chance to earn points, etc. It is free to join so it might be worth it. The NYE party was pretty good. I choose it because of the location - not near downtown Chicago. It was a 25 and older crowd. It was friendly and there was food, a band and DJ. It was $130 per couple. You will also find Bar Louie in the hotel (which was packed on NYE). It is a nice bar with food. It's handy if you don't want to leave the hotel, but right next door - in walking distance - is a Giordano's Pizza place and across the street is a Costco, Ulta, strip mall. You are close to many restaurants and stores which is great. I like the place and would probably stay again.

Room Tip: If you don't want a small room - try to get a suite. Check comparison sites to get the best rat...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 25, 2011

Our Christmas Holiday was ruined. Our hotel room was infested with roaches. I would never stay at another Holiday Inn ever. I would NOT advise anyone to stay Oak Brook location. I will be contacting the Illinois Health Department to report this incident. I want to that NO one else has to go through what my family and I had to experience.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank Moe21
Reviewed December 5, 2011

This Holiday Inn is close to the Company office I was visiting. It is in a good location and convenient to many good restaurants and malls. The room I had was decent and I had no real issues with it. The hotel has an on-site restuarant which I did not try busy looked busy. The front desk staff were helpful and pleasent. They did have me in a smokming room which the reservation clearly indicated that I did not want. They were able to change it. The biggest problem the hotel has is it is very warn and dated, Trim in the elevator was damaged. Carpets were worn. The positive side - I got Prioirty Club POints and it was inexpensive.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2011

After reading reviews about this property I called to ask if it was possible to get a room on a renovated floor. I was told the 5th and 7th floors were renovated and they would reserve a room on the 5th for our 4 night stay. Happy to see a beautiful new restaurant, Bar Louie, just off the lobby, I was encouraged. When we checked in and saw the 5th floor room it was EXACTLY like one of the negative reviews I read..."section 8 housing". It had beat up lamp shades, the bed skirting ripped, the luggage bench ripped, crud around the sink & paint coming off the walls in the bathroom, to list a few . The guest associate who delivered our little Priority Club fruit platter told us he would find us a room that was a better example of being renovated. And that's exactly what he did. It was an average room, but much better than that first one.
Thanks to that guest associate and the great breakfast buffet at their nice, new restaurant, we were satisfied.
They do have a long way to go to update all the rooms.

Room Tip: ask for room away from 22nd street noise
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank J F
Reviewed October 17, 2011

This was the worst rathole I have ever stayed in. Lamp shades were torn, stained, broken - even Goodwill would not try to sell them. Furniture horribly broken and not repaired. Roaches crawling up the bathroom wall. Stains everywhere - carpet, furniture, etc.

This should NOT have the holiday inn name associated with it and the Health Dept. should shut it down. The hotel manager came by the room and admitted that it was in really bad shape. Owned by Lakhani Hospitality in Skokie - That's another story!
Hopefully Holiday Inn will pull the name and the Health Dept. will shut them down.... Horrible

Room Tip: Here's your tip: Unless you like roaches and decades of stains on the furniture - run! Unless...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank s r
oakbrookterrace, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Oakbrook, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2011

Thank you for your response. We truly appreciate all feed back whether positive or negative. In response to your particular review, as you know I came to the room with our housekeeper to visit with you at the end of your stay. You were in fact in one the final rooms we have to remodel. Unfortunately you declined our offer to move you into another room which had been vacated the night before when you contacted the evening manager. Due to the nature of our conversation and the issues to brought to our attention we executed two means of repair. First we called Orkin Pest Control to come to the hotel for a thorough investigation. There no findings of any kind. The Health Department was then asked to come to the hotel to verify the Orkin reports and again we were given a report of no findings. Both of these reports are available via my office.
We take these type of issues very seriously and again apologize for any inconveniences you may have encountered. We also appreciate you bringing these concerns to our attention at the start of your stay and would ask that should you choose our hotel again in the future we be allowed to remedy them on the spot and without delay as we attempted.
Tyler
GM

Reviewed October 1, 2011

While travleing through I had the opportunity to stay at Holiday Inn Oakbrook, staff was wonderful, rooms were comfortable and the hotel was very clean.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakbrook Terrace
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
#1 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakbrook Terrace
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakb...
#2 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Comfort Suites Oakbrook Terrace
Comfort Suites Oakbrook Terrace
#4 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
Courtyard Chicago Oakbrook Terrace
Courtyard Chicago Oakbrook Terra...
#3 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago Oakbrook? Share your experiences!