“If you want to sleep in, don't sleep here!”

Courtyard Chicago Oakbrook Terrace
San Jose, California, United States
“If you want to sleep in, don't sleep here!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Wow, I have never stayed at a hotel with thinner walls! If you're a business traveler and out the door at dark-thirty, you probably have nothing to worry about. I doubt anyone will be making noise in the middle of the night (but who knows). Our room was next to the door going out to the parking lot, and we heard every "bang" of the door closing all morning long as folks left the hotel. I actually get up early everyday (5:30-6am) but when coming from California and I'm on vacation, I would like to sleep in until 7am (9am Chicago time). But oh no, not here!! If you're flying from out of this time zone, I don't recommend this place at all.

Let me break it down with pros & cons:
Check in -
We got in late and I have a family of 4 so I checked in on my own to figure out where our room was. The lady at front reception didn't smile and acted like she didn't want to be there. Great. Way to start out my stay. Now I don't want to be here either. She gave me my keys and told me where to drive my car so it's closer to my room. I asked about breakfast and she pointed behind me and told me when they'll be open. I asked if there was a free breakfast buffet and she looked like I just asked for her first child. Breakfast is like $11 for a breakfast burrito/sandwich, and that doesn't include a drink. No thanks, we went out to a restaurant.

Rooms -
Normal size, modern, comfy beds. Super thin walls. I can hear everyone walk down the hall or walk out the door to the parking lot. We were close to indoor pool, which looked nice, but there is no hot tub.

Lobby -
Modern, clean, lots of places to sit and relax or plug in. Great for business travelers. TVs are everywhere though and they are all on the depressing news. No way to change the channel. Um, no thanks. Wouldn't eat my breakfast there. Also very expensive food bar and staff was unfriendly.

Location -
Between Yorktown and Oakbrook Malls, but not walking distance to anything. We stayed here as a stop over and I used my points, but I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near a door that leads to the outside.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
LuciKrych, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Oakbrook Terrace, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Nicki,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel and bring your concerns to my attention. I would love to discuss your stay further and can be reached either at 630-691-1500 or by email: luci.krych@marriott.com

Luci Krych

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Champaign, Illinois, United States
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Enjoyed the newly updated room, very nice, clean and comfortable. Lobby is great, we were impressed with the touch screen, fireplace and big screen TV. Bistro was nice. Staff was all very accommodating and friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LuciKrych, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Oakbrook Terrace, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your positive review and for taking the time to post it on our Trip Advisor page. I am happy to hear that our staff was very helpful during your stay. We work hard as a team to ensure each guest has an enjoyable stay. We appreciate your positive review on our hotel's services and amenities We look forward to accommodating you again in the near future.

Warm Regards,
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Several comments that the lobby was great and modern bu the rooms outdated, the room we stayed in seemed new, even to the smell, so perhaps they are working in that too.

Room was spacious even as a double.

Lobby is very nice with it's touch screen and bistro.

Lobby staff were friendly and efficient with any questions we had.

The hot tub area in the pool was under contruction at the time we visited, bit of a shame but will obvioulsy be in service for later in the year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience here at the Courtyard by Marriott; Chicago Oakbrook Terrace. We are thrilled to see that you found our services and amenities to be just what you and your family needed while traveling. Just to let you know that the hotel has undergone a room's renovation to better service our guests and our whirlpool is being repurposed to provide better seating in the pool area for our guests.

Warm Regards,
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel twice over past 2 within the span of about 5 years. Rooms have aged dramatically, though there is a newer lobby like the modernized cafes with coffee/bar. Location is great with all the dining options that is nearby. Mall isn't too far and other dining options like Champs, Weber Grill, PF Changs just down the street.
Though I did not use facilities, there is a gym in the back area, and a central courtyard.
Inner rooms have sliding glass access to this courtyard and all rooms are floor level. Customer service is nice, though I like/expect rooms to be more updated given the vicinity of many banks/business buildings.
I would recommend if location is key and you don't want to deal with Chicago suburb traffic.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I visited the Courtyard by Marriott in Nov '12. The hotel has a open plan with a modern designed Cafe'/lobby/lounging area. When I arrived late in the evening, Greg, the assistant manager was very friendly and helpful in getting me checked in quickly. The room was average but had been renovated including a flat screen TV . The bed, while a little firm for me, was comfortable. Wifi Is free and the login is simple. On my day of checkout I needed to stay at the hotel until my appointment. I relaxed in the very comfortable and private lounging area off of the lobby for a few hours while I waited. While waiting out my appointment I realized that the Cafe was not open to lunch. Greg, the assistant manager, had offered to get me a salad from the kitchen. I was grateful as I did not have a car to go anywhere. This to me was going above and beyond my expectations. I would definitely visit this hotel again. Thank you Greg for your great service!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I like to stay at this property when I travel to our Oakbrook Terrace, IL office. The staff has always been friendly and helpful. It is also fairly easy to get to and close to lots of restaurants. I have not used the work out room, as it seems small. The cafe renovation they did a couple of years ago made it nice inside. The rooms have always been clean and easily accessible.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2012

While the property itself is dated it has been completely renovated to conform to the new look of Courtyards.
It has a nice lobby area with multiplex computer work stations and a very nice lounge area off to the side.
The staff is friendly and attentive.
Parking is a little awkward as the main parking area is off the beaten path. If you come in late, you will be parking there.
On the up side, the hotel is located with a mile or two of shopping areas and restaurants. You will not long for anything to do.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 30's and 40's are closer to the main lot.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakbrook Terrace
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
#1 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakbrook Terrace
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakb...
#2 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
Holiday Inn Chicago Oakbrook
Holiday Inn Chicago Oakbrook
#5 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Staybridge Suites Chicago Oakbrook Terrace
Staybridge Suites Chicago Oakbro...
#7 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace

Been to Courtyard Chicago Oakbrook Terrace? Share your experiences!