All reviewsstores and restaurantsstaff was very friendlypool area isrooms are spaciousfront desk staffnight staynice propertynext morningbusiness centeroak brookbistrolobbychicagoshoppinglombardrenovationdowntown
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I came to Chicago on business and this was one of the closer hotels to my client. Based on the exterior photos I wasn't completely sold on this hotel, plus the price ($149 per night) was fairly steep. But the exterior is only a small part of the story, so I kept an open mind.

I arrived after a long, fairly expensive cab ride from O'Hare. Tired after flying 4 hours, I was looking forward to checking in and getting to my room. The lobby is very modern and nice. Plenty of places to sit, plus they have food service until 10PM. Check in was a breeze, and the hotel conveniently has snacks and drinks right by the check in desk. So far, so good.

If only the hotel carried this fresh, modern theme to the rooms. The rooms are very tired and in need of renovation. The carpet is old and worn, the furniture old, and the beds are nothing to write home about. Very functional room, but considering the price, I've stayed in far better hotels.

As I checked out the next morning it became obvious to me that the hotel does great business with the number of business travelers. Many corporate headquarters are close by, so it's no wonder they can charge a higher price and not renovate the rooms.

I do not plan on staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Kurt M
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I was attending a conference for three days at the nearby Oakbrook Hills Resort about 1.5 miles away from this Courtyard location. But I could not afford to stay at the resort because, even though I was with a group that had a rate of $99/night, I called the day the rate was to expire and they said it had already been sold out, so they reserved me a room for $209 for the 1st night and $102 for the two consecutive nights, with no breakfast. Yikes! In the meantime I found this Couryard and got a great rate of $71/night with free breakfast for two adults and two kids, even though I was by myself. Awesome.

I got lost finding this location, but called and the pleasant reception clerk Cyrus helped me find it. I checked into a very nice spacious room with 2 queenbeds with very nice comfy mattresses, clean sheets, clean towels... the nice stuff. This location has an indoor pool. And the atmosphere is quiet and subdued. Free wifi (the resort, on the other hand, had a charge per day usage), and a nice office area where I could print my airline boarding pass and other documents for free.

The only concern that I was at the back of the building far away from the front where breakfast was served, so it took a while to get between lobby and the Bistro. But I suppose they put me here because I wanted it pretty guaranteed quiet.

After 2 nights in a Super 8, I learned the age old lesson that you get what you pay for. Only I could have paid through the nose to get swank without breakfast, or reasonable with breakfast. Papa Bear's (Hotel 8's) bed was too hard, Mama Bear's (Oakbrook Resort's) bed was too swanky, but Baby Bear's (Courtyard's) bed was JUST RIGHT!

Room Tip: Book early online; about three weeks in advance should do it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I stayed at this Courtyard by Marriott for 4 nights earlier this September because of a work related event. Upon entering the hotel, I was pretty impressed with their lobby. It seemed very up to date and fresh. The person who checked me in was very professional and welcoming. Through the 4 days at this hotel, my fellow colleagues and I had to meet a couple of times to go over work related stuff and the lobby provided the ideal location for that. The seating area by the windows had nice sofas and seats. At the end of each day, we would grab a few drinks at the bar in the lobby and it was a pretty nice place to hang out and drink.

The gym was a bit on the small side but there were fresh towels and a water cooler. They have a free weight bench with a rack of dumbbells but no bar. They also had elliptical machines and treadmills. I didn't hit the swimming pool so I cannot comment on that. The rooms were decent and clean. One thing that I was surprised was that I couldn't check out via the TV like most hotels nowadays. I had to do a lobby checkout but that wasn't a big deal because when I went, there was no line.

The hotel is situated in an area with quite a number of restaurants within 5 minute driving distance and there were plenty of malls and shops also. The wife was doing some major shopping while I was working during the day. A car is definitely necessary if you are staying here and you want to check out the nearby restaurants and shops. Downtown Chicago is about half an hour away by car and if you're not familiar with the highway in this area, do carry some loose change with you. I had to go through unmanned tolls that only took coins. At one toll, I didn't have anymore change left so I couldn't pay. I had to go online later to pay with my credit card.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2011

After a long drive, we thought we had rooms reserved at this hotel. We had used Roomsavers.com who quoted a rate of $69.00. When we called to reserve the room, the rep said not to worry, there were plenty of rooms, she took our credit card info and gave us a reservation number. When we got to the hotel after a long and tiring trip with 2 children and elderly parents, we were told that they would not honor this reservation. They told us that is should not have been confirmed in the first place as it is based on availability when we show up. The lady at the reception said there were no more standard rooms, available. This rate is not valid on Mondays. If we wanted a room the only one available is a King Suite for $174.00. We gave her confirmation number and asked why all this not not told to us when we called in to make the reservation. She basically indicated she did not know but her attitude was more like "I could care less. this is our policy". Told her that we will not be staying at her hotel and found another close by. When we called Marriott - we were told that they would look into it. A couple of days later we got an email from an Asst. GM saying they were looking into the matter and that the lady at the reception offered to work with us at the $69.00 rate. I replied that it was an outright lie. Haven't heard back since. Disappointing experience from Marriott.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank zama001
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The lobby was very nice (lipstick), my company's negotiated rate was very low, room furniture was new and a nice flat screen HD TV. Unfortunately the bones of this hotel are not up to snuff. Bed could use an upgrade, bathroom door did not fit properly, old fashioned console style AC/heat, towels much like those I used after gym in middle school. What really sets the tone for this property are the 10 watt light bulbs in the hallway fixtures. It was fine for the price but I would not give this property a thumbs up. Front desk staff was great.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business