All reviewsstores and restaurantsstaff was very friendlypool area isrooms are spaciousfront desk staffnight staynice propertynext morningbusiness centeroak brookbistrolobbychicagoshoppinglombardrenovationdowntown
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I was attending a conference for three days at the nearby Oakbrook Hills Resort about 1.5 miles away from this Courtyard location. But I could not afford to stay at the resort because, even though I was with a group that had a rate of $99/night, I called the day the rate was to expire and they said it had already been sold out, so they reserved me a room for $209 for the 1st night and $102 for the two consecutive nights, with no breakfast. Yikes! In the meantime I found this Couryard and got a great rate of $71/night with free breakfast for two adults and two kids, even though I was by myself. Awesome.

I got lost finding this location, but called and the pleasant reception clerk Cyrus helped me find it. I checked into a very nice spacious room with 2 queenbeds with very nice comfy mattresses, clean sheets, clean towels... the nice stuff. This location has an indoor pool. And the atmosphere is quiet and subdued. Free wifi (the resort, on the other hand, had a charge per day usage), and a nice office area where I could print my airline boarding pass and other documents for free.

The only concern that I was at the back of the building far away from the front where breakfast was served, so it took a while to get between lobby and the Bistro. But I suppose they put me here because I wanted it pretty guaranteed quiet.

After 2 nights in a Super 8, I learned the age old lesson that you get what you pay for. Only I could have paid through the nose to get swank without breakfast, or reasonable with breakfast. Papa Bear's (Hotel 8's) bed was too hard, Mama Bear's (Oakbrook Resort's) bed was too swanky, but Baby Bear's (Courtyard's) bed was JUST RIGHT!

Room Tip: Book early online; about three weeks in advance should do it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I stayed at this Courtyard by Marriott for 4 nights earlier this September because of a work related event. Upon entering the hotel, I was pretty impressed with their lobby. It seemed very up to date and fresh. The person who checked me in was very professional and welcoming. Through the 4 days at this hotel, my fellow colleagues and I had to meet a couple of times to go over work related stuff and the lobby provided the ideal location for that. The seating area by the windows had nice sofas and seats. At the end of each day, we would grab a few drinks at the bar in the lobby and it was a pretty nice place to hang out and drink.

The gym was a bit on the small side but there were fresh towels and a water cooler. They have a free weight bench with a rack of dumbbells but no bar. They also had elliptical machines and treadmills. I didn't hit the swimming pool so I cannot comment on that. The rooms were decent and clean. One thing that I was surprised was that I couldn't check out via the TV like most hotels nowadays. I had to do a lobby checkout but that wasn't a big deal because when I went, there was no line.

The hotel is situated in an area with quite a number of restaurants within 5 minute driving distance and there were plenty of malls and shops also. The wife was doing some major shopping while I was working during the day. A car is definitely necessary if you are staying here and you want to check out the nearby restaurants and shops. Downtown Chicago is about half an hour away by car and if you're not familiar with the highway in this area, do carry some loose change with you. I had to go through unmanned tolls that only took coins. At one toll, I didn't have anymore change left so I couldn't pay. I had to go online later to pay with my credit card.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2011

After a long drive, we thought we had rooms reserved at this hotel. We had used Roomsavers.com who quoted a rate of $69.00. When we called to reserve the room, the rep said not to worry, there were plenty of rooms, she took our credit card info and gave us a reservation number. When we got to the hotel after a long and tiring trip with 2 children and elderly parents, we were told that they would not honor this reservation. They told us that is should not have been confirmed in the first place as it is based on availability when we show up. The lady at the reception said there were no more standard rooms, available. This rate is not valid on Mondays. If we wanted a room the only one available is a King Suite for $174.00. We gave her confirmation number and asked why all this not not told to us when we called in to make the reservation. She basically indicated she did not know but her attitude was more like "I could care less. this is our policy". Told her that we will not be staying at her hotel and found another close by. When we called Marriott - we were told that they would look into it. A couple of days later we got an email from an Asst. GM saying they were looking into the matter and that the lady at the reception offered to work with us at the $69.00 rate. I replied that it was an outright lie. Haven't heard back since. Disappointing experience from Marriott.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank zama001
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The lobby was very nice (lipstick), my company's negotiated rate was very low, room furniture was new and a nice flat screen HD TV. Unfortunately the bones of this hotel are not up to snuff. Bed could use an upgrade, bathroom door did not fit properly, old fashioned console style AC/heat, towels much like those I used after gym in middle school. What really sets the tone for this property are the 10 watt light bulbs in the hallway fixtures. It was fine for the price but I would not give this property a thumbs up. Front desk staff was great.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. At check-in we were greeted quickly and cheerfully, and when the employee heard my daughter talk about the pool, she not only switched us to a now available 2 queen bed room but a room only 4 doors away from the pool, rather than the second floor.

We accidently locked our bathroom door shortly after we arrived, and met several of the staff as they worked to get the lock open. All three employees were very friendly, especially the gentleman from maintenance. They were great in reassuring my very embarassed daughter that this has happened before, and it was nothing to worry about.

The room was very nicely decorated, and appeared to be newly renovated. The pool and whirlpool also looked new and fresh, and everything from the tubs to the pool tiles, caulking and carpet were nice, clean and looked new. The Bistro and "lounge" area were charming, and very comfortable. At breakfast, they have everything from french toast onward, freshly served at the Bistro. There is also a little shop section, where everything from frozen dinners and fresh sandwiches to snacks, drinks, beer and wine are available. The courtyard was beautiful, with plenty of comfy chairs and outdoor sofas. The hotel was repainting the exterior of the hotel, but there was no additional noise or mess as a result.

Everything about our stay was easy and relaxed, and we loved the pool area. As a matter of fact, we found this hotel much more enjoyable than our stay at the Courtyard Marriott on Magnificent Mile (for $130 more per night) that we stayed at a few days earlier. We would and do plan to stay at this hotel again next time we are in the area, and hope to recieve the same great pricing in the future also!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family