“Hotel in the burbs”

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakbrook Terrace
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Great hotel and GREAT employees, like every other HGI I have stayed in. The hotel is near the mall, which I did not go to, but the shuttle will take you there if needed. It is miles from downtown and the airport so don't think a quick meal in Chicago will be possible. There is a great biking track right behind the hotel, you need to be on the road for 5 mins to get there but once there a nice run is to be had, if you can travel with your bike - take it. I had a stark in the restaurant and it was one of the best I have ever had full stop. Not sure where the chef is from but way higher than my expectations.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor and to the right of the hotel when looking at the front. The smoking ar...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
PaulGrande, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakbrook Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Cayman Greg,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the bike path! I will share your comments with our Chef, he is a well kept secret.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakbrook Terrace

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Very nice rooms, clean, well worth the rate, not far from downtown Chicago Would definitely go there again. The room rate is much better then downtown and parking is free. It was a perfect hotel outside downtown Chicago.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
PaulGrande, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakbrook Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Dear Hockeynut50,

Thanks for reviewing our hotel. I hope you come back out to catch a Blackhawks game.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

I stayed at Hilton Garden Inn during my first visit to my company's office in the Oakbrook Terrace area a couple of years ago. Since then, I had to stay at other hotels in the vicinity as HGI was booked. Fortunately, I was able to stay at the Inn again for my visit this past week and so glad to be back! A welcoming, friendly, clean hotel wtih a boutique-like quality to it. Shopping and restaurants close by (even though the meals at the Hilton Garden were also excellent) and not too far from the airport. I will make sure that I stay here again when I visit the area!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear JDPHX,

Thanks for sticking with us. I hope your business travels allow you to spend more time with us. Make sure you sign up for HHonors to reward yourself. I hope to be able to meet you on your next visit.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I have a friend who works for Hilton and books me rooms with family/friends discount. We wanted the Hilton Garden Inn at O'Hare but it was booked. I'm glad it was because this is in a nice quiet area close to shopping and restaurants and not too far from CTA and O'Hare. They have great customer service in the lobby and I like the little touch of fresh baked cookies waiting for you. Although breakfast is not included with your stay, a full breaksfast buffet for about $12 was available every morning. We got Dunkin Donuts on the way downtown insead. I liked the sleep number/temperpedic type bed but my husband hated it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear LisaNM,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel, I am glad to hear that we were a pleasant surprise. Just to let you know, we do offer items from the kitchen on an a la carte basis too. Hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I booked a room at a dirty hotel down the street and could not stay there (that was a HORRIBLE hotel). I began calling local hotels immediately.

The folks at the Hilton Garden Inn were able to provide a room for my husband & I for four days without a reservation. The hotel was lovely~ the rooms were spacious and very clean. The staff provided excellent service. Warm cookies in the late afternoon were a nice perk. Yes, this is a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear Susan H,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is great to hear that our team was able to assist you. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I was in Chicago for 6 weeks for school but didn't want to stay downtown near the school because it's too expensive. Oakbrook Terrace was recommended to me as an affluent area with lots of shopping and restaurants that is very safe (I’m a female travelling alone). I stayed in other hotels in Oakbrook Terrace during my 6 weeks (I wrote reviews on La Quinta, Staybridge Suites, Hilton Suites) and this was by far the best experience.

First let me state my only complaint. They change the hotel rate often and drastically and it isn’t worth the high rate they sometimes charge. I was there for one week and paid $84 a night. I wanted to stay on for another 2 weeks but front desk said the following week would be $190 a night and the week after $90 a night and they were unwilling to work with me on the rate. I wrote an email to complain about this and their response was that it varies based on how busy they are. I understand all hotels do this but when a guest says she wants to stay for 2 more weeks, they should be more willing to work with you on the rate. I subsequently took my business elsewhere for the next 2 weeks.

The hotel is new and nicely decorated unlike its sister property across the parking lot, Hilton Suites. It will appeal to business professionals and those like me who are accustomed to 5 star accommodations. The room had a fridge and microwave and they give you two bottles of complimentary water in your room. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was clean although a bit small, and housekeeping did a great job. I never heard anything from other rooms but could hear everything from the hallway. They offer free internet and occasionally put out really good cookies in the evening near the elevators. There is a tiny indoor pool and gym which were usually empty. I wish the breakfast buffet were free. It's cheaper to go to Denny's. Parking is free and the lot was safe. Make sure you request a quiet room because one end of the hotel is adjacent to a highway. My room was in the middle and I didn't hear any street noise. As a female travelling alone, I felt completely safe. There is a nice mall down the street with a Nordstrom, Lord and Taylor, Macys, lots of restaurants, etc.

I recommend this hotel above all the others I stayed at in Oakbrook Terrace. Don't bother with the Hilton Suites across the parking lot which is more expensive (considered an upgrade which I made the mistake of accepting for a different one night stay) and somewhat run-down. I will definitely return to the Garden Inn as long as the rate is reasonable.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Dear Wildlotus2482,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our property the most in the area. Six weeks is a long time to be away from home. We probably could have done more to work with you on your rate. I hope you took advantage to sign up for our HHonors program, with the time you spent here, you would be well on your way to advancing up a level, its not too late if you haven't! If school ever brings you back this way, we would be honored to be your home away from home.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

This hotel is just down the street from Oakbrook Mall, although not walking distance. It is a bit difficult to find because it is tucked off the road. It is very clean and seems to be either new or recently renovated. The staff was also quite friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms not facing highway.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear Travelmom200612,

Thanks for taking your time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are not a new hotel, so I give all the credit to our Operations team for maintaining it in great condition. Remember, we do have a shuttle service to get you to and from the Mall. I hope we will get to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakbrook Terrace
Comfort Suites Oakbrook Terrace
Comfort Suites Oakbrook Terrace
#4 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakbrook Terrace? Share your experiences!